DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 08-20-2008, 07:28 AM   #1
bigbluebox

Default Indesign Date problem

Hi guys,

This is probably a really simple issue but it's causing me grief! I am using Indesign, and have inserted a creation date text variable, yet it seems to just make up a date! Every document is different, and none relate to the actual date! It's all correct on my computer, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and how to change it?

Thanks!
bigbluebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:54 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluebox View Post
This is probably a really simple issue but it's causing me grief! I am using Indesign, and have inserted a creation date text variable, yet it seems to just make up a date! Every document is different, and none relate to the actual date! It's all correct on my computer, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and how to change it?
Are you using the stock Creation Date variable (just select it from the menu list)? Or did you add text or make other changes?

I have seen some complaints about this feature, which I believe was new in CS3. It is fussy — the variable cannot break, for example. But I have not seen your complaint mentioned. Unfortunately.

I am just fishing around, trying to see what may be happening. Can you attach a screen shot of the panel in which you set up the variable? Maybe one of us will notice something there.

And welcome to the forum!

Old 08-20-2008, 08:04 AM   #3
bigbluebox

I have attached a screenshot, which as you can see is showing the 23rd July! I chose edit, as in the UK we put the date around the other way...

I have just created a new document and it seems to read the right date, so I'm confused now why the other document doesn't!

Thanks for welcoming me! I'm pretty new to DTP so will probably hang around...!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Doc1.doc (32.5 KB, 33 views)
Old 08-20-2008, 08:35 AM   #4
Howard Allen

Bluebox--

Welcome to the forum!

I just tried to reproduce your problem, and I think the problem may be that you're misinterpreting the "Creation date" variable. I just did the exact same thing you did, and got the same results (ID CS3, Mac, OSX 10.5.4). If you create a new document today, and insert the creation date variable, it will insert today's date. However, if you open a pre-existing document (I opened one that was created on July 2) and insert the creation date, it inserts the creation date of that document which in my case is July 2. It takes the creation date from the operating system's file information. It doesn't insert today's date or any other date. If you want to insert a different date, you have to select a different variable (e.g. the modification date, or today's date).

Quote:
I have just created a new document and it seems to read the right date, so I'm confused now why the other document doesn't!
That's the statement that clued me into what's probably going on: the reason you get a different date on every document is because every document was created on a different date in the past.

Hope this helps!

BTW: for our benefit and yours, you should always tell us what operating system you're using, and what version of the software that's giving you trouble; makes it a lot easier to narrow down the problem. Oh--and one other small word to the wise: it's probably a good idea to send screenshots as an image file (.jpg or .png or .gif), rather than as a Word document. Most browsers can display image files directly, whereas to display Word docs, we need to download the file, and open it in Word or something else that will open Word docs. The more steps you make your readers go through, the less likely they are to jump in and help you out.

Cheers,

OSX 10.10.5

Last edited by Howard Allen; 08-20-2008 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Additional comments
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:23 AM   #5
bigbluebox

Thanks for that Howard, that makes sense! And I'll take your comments on board! Cheers!
Old 08-20-2008, 08:47 AM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluebox View Post
I have attached a screenshot, which as you can see is showing the 23rd July! I chose edit, as in the UK we put the date around the other way...

What Howard said.

That variable picks up the date information from the file and prints it. If you want today’s date you need a different variable.

BTW: When you take a screen shot you can attach the image file; not everyone has Word handy to view it in a document (the only reason I had Word around was from an experiment yesterday — before that it hadn’t even been installed on this computer for 9 months!) Good formats for images include .gif, .png, .jpg.) Then everyone can see from the thumbnail that you have attached an image.

Thanks for thinking of the date format problem. We are such a motley crew here that most of us look all all numerical dates skeptically and compensate automatically. One of the forum managers is from Australia, many members are from the U.K. or otherwise speak British English, and then we have the Canadians, who can fool you either way.