iamback

Default Hate Comic Sans?

Try Comic Serif!

I found it here: http://www.ministryoftype.co.uk/word...e/comic_serif/

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:12 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
Try Comic Serif!
Not bad — I rather like it.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:45 PM   #3
Cyranetta

Perhaps it's because I'm not a professional desktop publisher (I use it primarily for a nonprofit newsletter and promotional posters for historical society and Friends-of-the-Library events) but I have a hard time understanding loathing for a font. The example of Comic Serif as shown is much heavier than Comic Sans and would not have at all the same balance with the text in a newsletter (and I am not so witless as to use Comic Sans throughout, just as subtitling in an article about Caldecott prize winning books, for example).

Helvetica is another that seems roundly despised, but I recall from when I worked in a marketing department that Helvetica was a favorite of the catalog designers because it was consistently legible for both catalog text and a multipage order form. Its legibility hasn't changed, has it? Nor have I noticed that more "fashionable" fonts are any more legible, and are often less so.

How do you strike the best balance between fashion and function?
Cyranetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:11 PM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyranetta View Post
I have a hard time understanding loathing for a font. The example of Comic Serif as shown is much heavier than Comic Sans and would not have at all the same balance with the text in a newsletter …

Helvetica is another that seems roundly despised, but I recall from when I worked in a marketing department that Helvetica was a favorite of the catalog designers because it was consistently legible for both catalog text and a multipage order form. Its legibility hasn't changed, has it? Nor have I noticed that more "fashionable" fonts are any more legible, and are often less so.

How do you strike the best balance between fashion and function?
Good question. I don’t understand the cranky attacks on Comic Sans or Helvetica, but have some ideas of what provokes them.

First, they are often misused. Helvetica (and the knockoff version Arial, which is often confused with Helvetica) is a lousy screen font. Yet we see tons of it on the web, and people decide to “hate” the poor font instead of the person who spec’d it.

Whether it is highly legible is a matter for debate, and I do not find it suitable (i.e., readable) for long text, almost no matter what size or weight is used. It is a good, maybe great, advertising text face and it works well for display.

But it was my first great type love; used it for my very first Tinkel Design business card in 1968. I still admire it, though we have many more choices than back then. As so often occurs with puppy love, my passion has abated somewhat. But to this day, when it is used well and for appropriate purpose, Helvetica can be a stunner.

As for Comic Sans, I suspect it is snobbery. There is no more beer-chugging, hotdog-eating typeface than Comic Sans (well, except for all the old lettering styles and fonts emulating them that preceded it). So it offends the Beef Wellington crowd. <g>

As you can see right here, Comic Sans works pretty well on-screen if you get the size right.

It is easy to read, even though the letter-fit isn’t exactly the greatest. Have to concede that I get weary of it fairly fast, but it is clearly not meant for long passages.

Comic Sans, like its kin, is sublimely informal, and that may be its greatest sin. And its virtue.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:33 PM   #5
Paul

There are thousands of typefaces that I rarely use, but (among those that are available to me), that's mostly because they aren't functional for the work I'm doing.

For example (veterans in the forum may remember this) I worked years ago for a university that used ITC Bookman in its logo. One of the university's claims to fame was that it was founded when its region was still frontier, and Bookman worked well to suggest that. However, some departments adopted Bookman as the house font for everything. It is really unpleasant to read a 48-page report set entirely in ITC Bookman.

There are only a few that I dislike so much that I would never use them for display advertising. The few that I really dislike have proportions or spacing that set my teeth on edge.

Now, old-timers may also remember that I somewhat dislike script fonts, not because of anything about script types themselves, but because about 90% of uses I see are awful. People who don't know what they're doing often choose a script because they want something to be "nice," but it's usually the wrong script for the purpose.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote