DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 06-14-2008, 06:28 AM   #1
dthomsen8

Default Memory stick browser

Elsewhere in the forum there is a mention of using the Firefox browser from a memory stick. My attempts to find instructions on how to do that find ways to run browsers on an IPOD or on phones, but not from a USB connection to a PC running Windows.

Can someone point me to instructions?

It doesn't seem to be much different if I look for Opera instructions rather than Firefox, and Safari instructions are for the Mac, not Windows.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 07:47 AM   #2
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
Elsewhere in the forum there is a mention of using the Firefox browser from a memory stick. My attempts to find instructions on how to do that find ways to run browsers on an IPOD or on phones, but not from a USB connection to a PC running Windows.

Can someone point me to instructions?
For a lot of software, including browsers, what you need is not instructions, but a portable version. Essentially, that is a "wrapper" that takes care all of the browser's files (including profile) are stored within that wrapper.

Of course, there is software that is designed to be portable, in that it allows you to store its working files and configuration where you want, or in its own directory tree - you should make sure configuration files allow using relative paths (relative to the application's directory) because on Windows the drive letter for a USB stick can only be one that happens to be available on the host machine: you can't count on a particular one being available. Everything that doesn't support this out of the box needs a wrapper to copy or move the necessary files so the application can use them.
  • Wikipedia has a List of portable software
  • PortableApps.com has applications for Windows, including a whole suite, and a nice launcher app, and more. Good information, too, including about security. This includes a portable Firefox (even 3 RC2) and other Internet software, and the complete OO.o - as far as I can tell, all OSS (I actually run my OO.o from my USB stick on Windows)
  • Another large collection can be found at Pendriveapps.com - all freeware (though not all OSS)
  • More on these three other sites that I haven't explored as much: Portable USB Apps - the Portable Freeware Collection - usbsoft.org (this seems to be temporarily closed but I'll mention it in case it comes up again later)
Of course there will be considerable overlap between these sites; but PortableApps.com may have all you need for your portable PC.

While I'm at it, some bookmarks for Mac OS X and Linux as well:

OSX: OS X Portable Applications (FreeSMUG) - these work similar to the "wrapped" applications at PortableApps.com, and you'll find many of the same applications, too (which is very handy if you use both Mac and Win); not as up-to-date as PortableApps.com though.

Linux: a different approach: Boot and run Linux from a USB flash memory stick - lots of options here, but I haven't tried any of them yet, only bookmarked for now.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:05 AM   #3
Kelvyn
Staff

Portable Firefox with instructions is on http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote