DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 05-27-2008, 11:35 AM   #1
Ashlie

Default Quark 7 Question

I'd like to change the color of our logo to white on one of our brochures to be printed. For some reason, Quark 7 is giving me problems. With my other logo, I just import it and Quark lets me change the color to whatever I want. For some reason, when I try to change the "Picture Color" on this newer logo, it doesn't let me...everything is grayed out so that you can't select anything. Typically I use InDesign and what I do is just change the color in the native file and then just copy and paste. Quark will not let me paste anything from another program and so I am stuck. The brochure was originally designed in Quark and it would be extremely time consuming to rebuild it in InDesign. Any suggestions???

Old 05-27-2008, 01:24 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlie View Post
I'd like to change the color of our logo to white on one of our brochures to be printed. For some reason, Quark 7 is giving me problems. With my other logo, I just import it and Quark lets me change the color to whatever I want. For some reason, when I try to change the "Picture Color" on this newer logo, it doesn't let me...everything is grayed out so that you can't select anything. Typically I use InDesign and what I do is just change the color in the native file and then just copy and paste. Quark will not let me paste anything from another program and so I am stuck. The brochure was originally designed in Quark and it would be extremely time consuming to rebuild it in InDesign. Any suggestions???
What sort of art is the logo? bitmap? vector? Sounds as if it is not is not really present — maybe you only have a preview image?

XPress will allow you to link vector or bitmap artwork from programs like Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw, Photoshop, etc. (Images are linked, not embedded in XPress, unless they have drastically changed recently.)

Old 05-27-2008, 01:53 PM   #3
Ashlie

The logo is a vector drawing created in Illustrator. I saved it as an eps and imported it into my Quark file. I did go back and try to import the Illustrator file but Quark won't let me. I suppose it's possible that I only have a preview image but if this is the case, I have no idea how to deal with it.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:59 PM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
The logo is a vector drawing created in Illustrator. I saved it as an eps and imported it into my Quark file. I did go back and try to import the Illustrator file but Quark won't let me. I suppose it's possible that I only have a preview image but if this is the case, I have no idea how to deal with it.
Can you do anything else with the image? That is, is XPress the only application that will not let you place or import that image? How does InDesign feel about it?

It is possible for the image to be corrupted. Can you go back to the original .ai file (or even to the EPS file) in Illustrator and create a new EPS? (That might be a good place to change the color, too.)

Old 05-27-2008, 02:15 PM   #5
Ashlie

Quark will let me import the image as far as I can tell - it just doesn't let me change the logo color. InDesign is a dream - no problems there. The image is not currupted - I use it in InDesign on a regular basis without any problems. I did change the color in Illustrator and then re-saved it as an eps. This seems to be working...I'll let you know if I run into any other issues with it. Thanks for your help.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:20 PM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Quark will let me import the image as far as I can tell - it just doesn't let me change the logo color. InDesign is a dream - no problems there. The image is not currupted - I use it in InDesign on a regular basis without any problems. I did change the color in Illustrator and then re-saved it as an eps. This seems to be working...I'll let you know if I run into any other issues with it. Thanks for your help.
You’re welcome. Glad you could work out how to deal with it.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:50 AM   #7
dogmandouglas

Hi Ashlie

Quark won't let you change the colour of an .eps file (the name is encapulated postscript) if the file is a B/W tiff or a bitmap image you can change the colour in Quark. If you have a colour tiff or .jpeg just before you import the file into Quark hold down the command key as you import, this has the effect of importing the image as B/W and now you can change the colour in Quark.

Doug
dogmandouglas is offline   Reply With Quote