DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 05-10-2008, 02:40 PM   #1
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Default Stepping up to a reseller account

I've decided that I will definitely move hosts when my current account expires in about four weeks' time and am considering a reseller account.

Having had domain hosting for around 10 years I'm not entirely a novice, but going from an ordinary hosting account to a reseller account is a pretty big step.

Without going into the specifics of any particular hosting company, can anyone tell me what to expect with this step? Do I have to know lots of stuff I've never needed to know before?

In investigating various prospective hosts, I've seen topics such as being able to use the ssh command line to upload my forum database without having to use BigDump, for example. While I've never had any problems with BigDump, it would be helpful to be able to upload the database using a command line, except that I don't know any ssh commands...

Also, at the reseller level, do I need to manage stuff using .htaccess (I'm planning to stick with *nix)? I've never had the necessity to do this before. So how do I find out what to put in the .htaccess file?

The server is down at my current host, so this seemed a good time to use my enforced free time to investigate a replacement.

Oh, and one of the reasons for going to a reseller account is that I now own 32 domain names...

Old 05-11-2008, 02:17 AM   #2
Kelvyn
Staff

A reseller account makes it cheaper to host a lot of domains. I have two reseller accounts, mainly for my own and client sites, and do sell hosting for a few people who wish to manage their own sites.

As a reseller you will have more control on the server, such as managing disk space & bandwidth between accounts or managing dns zones, but you wont have root access, so will also need to use the host support for certain things. Not difficult, but perhaps daunting at first as if you resell to a client then you have to provide support to them if necessary.

Everything can be a lot easier if you use a host with a good and responsive support, and a user community (forum) where help and advice can be obtained.

As for .htaccess, the syntax may be different between server operating systems, so here "local" knowledge in important. On the United Hosting forum there are 2 or 3 experts on .htaccess for use with Ensim who are always willing to help out. And even more PHP programmers who will offer advice on programming issues.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 02:30 AM   #3
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Thanks, Kelvyn.

United Hosting is high on my list of potential hosting sites.