DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 05-05-2008, 01:57 PM   #1
Michael Rowley

Default Blank CDs & DVDs

I am completely new to burning CDs & DVDs, and I should like advice on what makes of LightScribe blank disks to buy. Probably I am not wrong in imagining that there are many old hands here.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:00 PM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley View Post
I am completely new to burning CDs & DVDs, and I should like advice on what makes of LightScribe blank disks to buy. Probably I am not wrong in imagining that there are many old hands here.
Bearing in mind the special care needed with LightScribe discs after burning, is it really worth the effort?

I get great results with printable discs and a cheap inkjet printer. For the few occasions when I consider this necessary or desirable.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:28 AM   #3
Michael Rowley

Ann:

Quote:
Bearing in mind the special care needed with LightScribe discs after burning, is it really worth the effort?
I am completely innocent of any knowledge of burning disks, so I could not anwer your question, even if I understood its implications. I know only that the supplier of my present computer has provided a program for burning disks, a program for writing on them (LightScribe), and a the requisite apparatus for reading them and writing them, which bears the LightScribe logo.

I know the only subject has been discussed here, and the participants seemed very knowledgeable. But thanks for the warning—if it is one!

Old 05-06-2008, 06:59 AM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

LightScribe is a technology for imprinting the "non-data" side of discs. If you don't need that particular ability, you can use regular blanks instead (at a considerable savings, I'm willing to bet).

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:49 AM   #5
Michael Rowley

Steve:

Quote:
LightScribe is a technology for imprinting the "non-data" side of discs
Thank you for that: but I had got the idea, though I wonder if there is a better program. What I do want to know is what brands of disk are OK, and what brands should definitely be avoided! I gather forum members have definite ideas about this

Old 05-06-2008, 11:55 AM   #6
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

LightScribe actually scratches the special coating off the discs to create etched 'labels'. But the instructions (Google LightScribe) indicate that these discs have to be stored in fairly restricted environments after etching.

As Steve says, you're probably better off just using standard discs and using Windows to do the burning. No special software or discs needed.

I used to buy TDK discs in bulk on spindles but had a few duds, and have now gone back to the imation inkjet-printable ones, which I sometimes print on and sometimes just write on with a special CD pen.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:09 PM   #7
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> As Steve says, you're probably better off just using standard discs and using Windows to do the burning. No special software or discs needed.

I'm not especially fond of the way Windows' own CD burning works. It seems to lead users by the hand to making un-closed CDs ... things that won't necessarily be universally readable.

Anything that lets you treat a CD like a lettered disk drive and write to it is evil, in fact.

OTOH, I've had reasonably good luck with the various CD burning apps that came with various computers. Roxio, Sonic Record Now and that bunch, though they can be difficult to tame. I mostly use Nero 6. FWIW. Which isn't all that much, I expect. <g>

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:58 PM   #8
Michael Rowley

Ann:

Quote:
LightScribe actually scratches the special coating off the discs to create etched 'labels'
That is not what LightScribe says: the reverse side of the disk is coated with a coloured layer, which is burnt away by the laser where you want it ‘scratching’, and as the same beam is used for writing on the other face, I do not see where the scratching can come from.

Quote:
No special software or discs needed
I do not have to acquire special software, because the maker of the computer supplied it; I would have to buy the special disks. I do not know yet how well the software performs, and it may turn out that Vista provides all I need, and it may perform better.

Quote:
gone back to the imation
Thank you: Imation is one brand that is recommended then.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:12 PM   #9
annc
Sysop

Quote:
That is not what LightScribe says: the reverse side of the disk is coated with a coloured layer, which is burnt away by the laser where you want it ‘scratching’, and as the same beam is used for writing on the other face, I do not see where the scratching can come from.
Semantics.

Quote:
I do not have to acquire special software, because the maker of the computer supplied it; I would have to buy the special disks. I do not know yet how well the software performs, and it may turn out that Vista provides all I need, and it may perform better.
Vista works, but it's not terribly intuitive. It does pop up a button to remind you to close the disc after it's been burnt, and you must do that, to allow it to be used on different machines, and also to stop viruses hopping on when it's used in machines with viruses on them, then hopping off onto uninfected machines later. This happened to us at the library a couple of years ago, and it was very embarrassing. Our IT people cleaned the borrower's machine and the supplier sent a closed CD. But I still manually check every CD-ROM we purchase.

Quote:
Thank you: Imation is one brand that is recommended then.
I went off them for a few years after a couple of bad experiences, but decided to give them another go about 12 months ago and haven't had any failures.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:33 PM   #10
Michael Rowley

Ann:

Quote:
Semantics
That is not a word I use, but if is a way of saying, ‘You know perfectly well what I meant!’, I honestly thought you meant . . . er, scratching. Women!

Quote:
Vista works, but it's not terribly intuitive
Nothing is, as far as I am concerned, but I just follow the recipe. But I was rather put out that there are two kinds of writable CD.