DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 04-28-2008, 09:02 AM   #1
iamback

Default .nu domain registration - suggestions?

I'm looking at registering a .nu domain - something which GoDaddy doesn't do.

I haven't even checked availability yet (I did months ago, but not since) - but in order to prevent squatting I don't want to do that until I've selected a registrar: I know all the stories... Price is an issue as well, and pricing for .nu are wildly divergent, ranging from less than $30 a year (even without the standard 2-year contract requirement) to $200 per two years (I've seen several).

Currently I'm looking at both iDotz.net and namecheap.com. Any experience, good vibes, bad vibes, or rumors, anyone?

Oh, and I'm in a bit of a hurry. I thought I'd done this already. I must be getting old, or something.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:03 AM   #2
Kelvyn
Staff

Rumoured that namecheap are not so good. I've not heard of iDotz.

I use eurodns.com for domains I can't get through my usual registrars.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:24 AM   #3
iamback

Kelvyn,

Thanks, that's fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn View Post
Rumoured that namecheap are not so good. I've not heard of iDotz.
What reviews I've found for iDots aren't really negative, but actually those for namecheap are much better (apart from far more numerous). Common theme: outstanding customer service, but occasional (bad) technical glitches. They're cheaper than iDotz.

While looking around for reviews, I just came across this interesting page reviewing the reviewers. I reckon that could be a good starting point for anyone when looking for a registrar when your customary one doesn't offer what you need.

Quote:
I use eurodns.com for domains I can't get through my usual registrars.
Interesting, for .nu at least they're even cheaper than namecheap. I had not come across them before. Any comments on service and user interface? Technical reliability? I note they also offer DNS services for free - a valuable point since .nu requires DNS service (you cannot "just" register a domain, if you don't have DNS they may retract it!). Any comments on the user interface for that?

Price is more of an issue that it normally would be for other domains since I've also found out that it can be hard to transfer a .nu domain: they set limitations, and some registrars seem to simply not allow it (maybe because they don't want the bother of complying with their rules). So I'll have to make a good choice right off the bat...

Edit: Oh, wait I quite missed that these prices are in Euros! that makes them a lot more expensive, actually... namecheap looking better again.

Last edited by iamback; 04-28-2008 at 11:30 AM. Reason: EUR > USD :(
Old 04-29-2008, 07:08 AM   #4
iamback

Default Domain weirdness... hijack attempt?

I started this thread yesterday. After looking at GoDaddy and finding no option to search for or register a .nu domain. I'm not blind and hardly senile, and I've been there before.

The thing is... I was sure I'd already registered the .nu domain I wanted — but equally sure I had only domains at GoDaddy and (one) at ToNIC. So, I concluded I hadn't registered the domain after all when I thought of it. Not like me, but not impossible.

So that's why I started my search for registrars that do handle .nu (by no means all do), and at a reasonable price (wildly different). Thanks for the help, but this morning I decided to go with Namecheap who not only have the best price I've see for a .nu domain ($28.88/yr, start with 2 years according to .NU regulations) but throw in privacy (they call it WhoisGuard) for free as well — for every TLD that allows this, which if you want this privacy protection suddenly makes them enormously cheaper than GoDaddy as well (they still charge some $7/yr for that).

OK - so I gather my info and start searching at Namecheap and find, not to my surprise, that my wanted domain is taken. I have a flash of inspiration for an alternative name, which is free, and I grab the corresponding .com and .net as well, just in case. WhoisGuard added for all three for free. Great.

Here it comes.

I tried doing a whois search at Namecheap for myu "original" domain, and it doesn't work. OK, these glitches happen at all websites that offer whois service. So I get out my trusted little Kate's Whois, and type in the name. Sure enough it comes up with some information, some bloke in Germany listed as technical contact (address and phone number and all), and an email address to enquire after admininistrative contact. Domain servers also given ... and they look familiar.

So I go to Firefox, and type in the domain name. Parked for free by GoDaddy. Huh??

Next I do a whois search on the GoDaddy site (which suddenly lists .nu again!) and sure enough it comes yup with the domain info. It's registered to one Marjolein Katsma. And on the same date (and with the same expiration date) as that listed for the German "technical contact" bloke.

So what the heck is going on here?

At least my memory hasn't completely failed me, I did register that domain after all (I was constantly coming up with ideas for the website I want to make, with that name in my mind). When I go into my account, the site shows all roles being me, no German bloke involved at all. Is this a hijacking attempt? Or what?

Something is fishy but I don't know what, or what to do about it, really.

First step I took was to point DNS to my own server instead of GoDaddy's "parked domain" DNS servers, and that went through. I really want to build a site now (and I don't regret the new domain either, I can use them in combination). I'd also prefer to transfer it to Namecheap so I have the .nu domains at one registrar, and have the WhoisGuard, because this one domain at GoDaddy does not have the privacy protection, which I don't like one bit.

Any suggestions on what to do about the "maybe-a-hijack-attempt" technical contact listing in the one whois?

I'm glad I (still) have that domain name (as well as the new one) but I'm still worried.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:16 AM   #5
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Is this a hijacking attempt? Or what?
I'd think more likely a lookup glitch! Or Godaddy's new way to provide privacy protection is to use someone elses name for public lookups......

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Old 04-29-2008, 10:16 AM   #6
iamback

Quote:
I'd think more likely a lookup glitch! Or Godaddy's new way to provide privacy protection is to use someone elses name for public lookups......
No, no. The domain isn't even private at GoDaddy (the only one - and I've now found that indeed it's NOT possible to transfer it to Namecheap either). Here's what I've got so far:

GoDaddy's whois shows the correct information with me in all roles.

For .nu lookups Karen's Whois (desktop app) uses ".NU Domain Ltd Whois service", listed at the bottom as http://www.nunames.nu ; just before that it says: "Owner and Administrative Contact information for this domain name is
available upon request from support@nic.nu".

At that website they have a "Contact us" page which lists this very same email address (plus a few more).

When I looked first, their Whois showed GoDaddy's parking domain name servers, and correct registration and expiration dates. Now that I've changed the domain name servers to my own (so I can start building a site), I look again and the information here shows "Record last updated on 29-Apr-2008." and "Record status: Active." and still "Registrar of record: Key-Systems GmbH".

So it's live. No glitch either, it's stable and consistent at both ends.

And a bit of Yahooing yields: Key-Systems GmbH.

The only thing I can imagine atm is that GoDaddy is actually acting as a reseller here, and the bloke in Germany is, or represents, whoever they are dealing with. Even in that case it's odd that Godaddy shows me also as technical contact while .NU Domain Ltd. shows someone in Germany.

I'm still at loss what to do about this. Any idea?

For obvious reasons at this point I'm reluctant to say which domain this is about but if you want to have a look for yourself, let me know and I'll PM it to you.

Last edited by iamback; 04-29-2008 at 10:34 AM. Reason: even more registrar detail added
Old 04-29-2008, 10:40 AM   #7
iamback

Hmm, looked up my new .nu domain with Karen's Whois - that shows as technical contact someone at enom.com, for which Namecheap are indeed a reseller. And here I see "Registrar of record: eNom, Inc."

So GoDaddy is a reseller of Key-Systems GmbH?? And hide this from me by showing me as technical contact? Odd.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:34 AM   #8
iamback

Default Yes, GoDaddy are a reseller for .nu domains - and they hide it

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
So GoDaddy is a reseller of Key-Systems GmbH?? And hide this from me by showing me as technical contact? Odd.
What I did was send an email to .NU Domain Ltd customer support - deliberately not from any of the email addies I use for domain registrations, and not mentioning the domain in question. This is what I wrote:

Quote:
A question about .nu registrations:

I have a .nu domain registered with GoDaddy. There, I show as both
Administrative, and Technical contact, and the domain is locked.

When I look up the same domain in your whois, it shows up with someone at Key-Systems GmbH as technical contact, and record status Active, instead of locked.

I made a change today, and your whois does show that the last update was today.

Can you explain what's going on here? Is there a mistake in your whois or is GoDaddy hiding something from me?
Just now I received their reply:
Quote:
Hello,

GoDaddy is a reseller to Key-Systems. Key-Systems is the Registrar.

The .NU Whois at, http://whois.nic.nu/anydomainname.nu, is only publishing the Registrar contact information. The .NU Whois does not show that the name is locked.

Please let us know if you have other questions.

Regards,
.NU Domain Ltd
Customer Support

Thank you for choosing .NU
There is absolutely nothing to be found on the GoDaddy site about them being a reseller for .nu domains (while Namecheap are quite clear they are a reseller for Enom, and I looked there as well to compare prices).

I don't mind in principle going through a reseller, as I know this can (with bulk contracts in the background) lead to lower prices. But I don't like this information to be hidden from me.

One little niggle left: the domain I registered through Namecheap does show the status as "locked" when I look it up via the nic.nu whois.

I guess my next action is to ask GoDaddy support whether they "forgot" to transfer the "locked" status to Key-Systems GmbH...

Meanwhile I have official confirmation that existing .nu domains can't be transferred to Namecheap.
I'd do it right now if I could.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:34 PM   #9
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
Meanwhile I have official confirmation that existing .nu domains can't be transferred to Namecheap.
Not good. I had a similar sort of issue when I was looking into registering an Italian .it domain. Although I satisfied the requirements to register the domain as a private individual, the domain controling organisation in Italy would not allow me to register through my chosen registrar, Total Registrations, but insisted I dealt with an Italian registrar - at considerably higher cost. I did not bother!

Old 05-01-2008, 04:31 PM   #10
iamback

Quote:
Not good. I had a similar sort of issue when I was looking into registering an Italian .it domain. Although I satisfied the requirements to register the domain as a private individual, the domain controling organisation in Italy would not allow me to register through my chosen registrar, Total Registrations, but insisted I dealt with an Italian registrar - at considerably higher cost. I did not bother!
How annoying.

But let me be clear this non-transfer of .nu domains is not a Namecheap issue - while researching I had already read elsewhere there are problems transferring domains. The whole registrar construct is a bit hazy there (at nic.nu or whatever else represents the TLD) and they have all sorts of rules and regulations. (Some of that to be found on Wikipedia.)

I just wish that I'd known all that when I registered the first one with GoDaddy. I was in my usual hurry to grab a really nice name, I guess.

Anyway, now that there's no issue of hijacking, I can reveal the domain names (live on the server but there's no website there yet): OpenSite.nu and ooosite.nu - the three O's standing for Open source, Open standards and Open accessibility. And as Wikipedia explains, "nu" means "now" in Dutch (and a few other languages).

Now all I need is a good logo and a website.