DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 04-19-2008, 06:41 AM   #1
dthomsen8

Default New LG 22" LCD Monitor

Yesterday I bought a new 22" LCD wide screen monitor to replace my wife's unreliable and small Dell LCD monitor. I have it hooked up to her computer, but I intend to trade it off for my somewhat smaller LG Flatron monitor this weekend.

Both of these monitors can accept digital video, but I have both connected as analog video because only one of my computers has a digital video output. My difficulty with using that output is that I have a Belkin KVM switch on my two WinXP Pro computers. To change to digital, I would need a digital video card for my older computer, and also a KVM switch which can handle digital instead of analog video. So far, the KVM switches with that capability that I find online are several hundred dollars, and it seems that cables are extra, and also expensive. My Belkin switch was less than $50, so I am reluctant to go that way.

So, would digital video be a big step up for me? I could buy a video driver card for my wife's WinXP Home Edition computer, and use either of the LCD monitors there.

Is there a KVM switch with digital video for less than $300, including cables, and not requiring USB rather than PS/2 keyboard and mouse?

I may well continue with just what I have now, but I am interested in what other forum members will say.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:53 AM   #2
Michael Rowley

Dave:

Quote:
would digital video be a big step up for me?
I asked more or less the same question a little time ago; so far, no one has felt able to offer any concrete advice about the practical advantages of it, although it sounds as if it should be better to use digital.

Old 04-19-2008, 01:18 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

I'm not sure I understand your set up...

Do you have 2 pc's but just one monitor?

If so, for the $300 for the KVM switch, you could buy another monitor and/or a new video card for close to or a bit more than the switch price and eliminate the switch all together...

As to which to use--analogue or dvi--most of what I've read suggests that dvi will give you a better image on the LCD monitor but I think on a practical level, it depends on what you are doing on your systems. If you are working with graphics and images, then DVI is the way to go but if you are doing more text work with a bit of graphic/imaging stuff, then it probably doesn't make much difference...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:19 AM   #4
dthomsen8

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
I'm not sure I understand your set up...

Do you have 2 pc's but just one monitor?

If so, for the $300 for the KVM switch, you could buy another monitor and/or a new video card for close to or a bit more than the switch price and eliminate the switch all together...

As to which to use--analogue or dvi--most of what I've read suggests that dvi will give you a better image on the LCD monitor but I think on a practical level, it depends on what you are doing on your systems. If you are working with graphics and images, then DVI is the way to go but if you are doing more text work with a bit of graphic/imaging stuff, then it probably doesn't make much difference...

Terrie
I have three computers and two sets of LCD monitors, mice, and keyboards. There isn't room on the desk for another set of monitors/mice/keyboards, and my wife uses her computer at the same time that I use my two computers. Besides, there is a shared HP Deskjet printer with a USB switch to print from any of the three computers.

From that detail, you can tell that I have to continue with a KVM switch. The situation arose because my older computer had a hard disk failure, and I bought a new computer to get going again. Then I bought a new HD and restored as of an earlier date, leaving a gap in various kinds of data. That is why I work on two computers, depending on the data needed and in a few cases the software only available on the older computer.

You are right about text and Internet use, compared with much less JPG image work with Paint Shop Pro use, with digital camera input.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:49 AM   #5
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> I have three computers and two sets of LCD monitors, mice, and keyboards. There isn't room on the desk for another set of monitors/mice/keyboards, and my wife uses her computer at the same time that I use my two computers.

Does the monitor have a DVI/Analog selection switch? My fairly inexpensive Samsung LCD screen does. I use the DVI connector for the main computer and the analog one for a server that I rarely need to look at. All I need to do is poke the switch to go from one to the other.

A standard USB or PS2 KVM could (and once did) switch the keyboard and mouse.

>> Besides, there is a shared HP Deskjet printer with a USB switch to print from any of the three computers.

Have you considered attaching the printer to one of the computers and sharing it? On the plus side, you'd eliminate the switch and the need to remember to use it. On the minus, the computer with the printer would need to be on in order to print from any of the computers.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:00 AM   #6
dthomsen8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
>> I have three computers and two sets of LCD monitors, mice, and keyboards. There isn't room on the desk for another set of monitors/mice/keyboards, and my wife uses her computer at the same time that I use my two computers.

Does the monitor have a DVI/Analog selection switch? My fairly inexpensive Samsung LCD screen does. I use the DVI connector for the main computer and the analog one for a server that I rarely need to look at. All I need to do is poke the switch to go from one to the other.

A standard USB or PS2 KVM could (and once did) switch the keyboard and mouse.

>> Besides, there is a shared HP Deskjet printer with a USB switch to print from any of the three computers.

Have you considered attaching the printer to one of the computers and sharing it? On the plus side, you'd eliminate the switch and the need to remember to use it. On the minus, the computer with the printer would need to be on in order to print from any of the computers.
No, neither the old monitor nor the new one has a switch. I flip back and forth fairly often. I explained about the USB switch, but it works fine for me. If something doesn't print, I know to press the button.

I have decided to stay with my present setup, just changing the old monitor, which is a good one, for the new, wider one.