DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 04-13-2008, 01:15 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default Nifties???

A couple of weeks ago, The Washington Post travel section mentioned what looked to be a rather nifty little thingie called a "magicjack" which is a usb-based phone jack that allows you to plug in a standard phone and make low cost phone calls...the jack costs $20 and the service is $20 per year (unlimited calls to the US and Canada from anywhere in the world).

According to the article, you just plug in the magicjack and the software loads automatically and the article said the voice quality was very good--same as a wired phone line.

The phone service comes with "...a free local phone number, voice mail, call waiting, call forwarding, 3-way calling... International calls are extra though competititvely priced: calls to France, for example, are 2 cents a minute" (source: The Washington Post, 3/30/08)

I received a catalog from Cyberguys and they have an interesting adjustable armrest with attached mouse pad that I thought some people might find useful. According to the catalog it's supposed to be on sale for $27.95 but for some reason that price isn't on their website--it lists it as $34.95. If you want to call them: 800-892-1010...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:32 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Now this is a nifty idea for a thread!

Old 04-13-2008, 05:33 PM   #3
Hugh Wyn Griffith

This sounds as though it might be this device?

From the current Travel Insider -- which provides extraordinary information about using cell phones while travelling.

<< Third time is a charm? I surely hope so. At the beginning of this year, I bought a device that promised unlimited phone calling in North America for a flat annual fee of $20. I had no end of problems getting it to work and gave up, with a review half written but not completed.

At the mobile phone and other telephony/gadgetry show last week, I met the inventor of the product, and he assured me all the problems of earlier in the year had been resolved, and gave me a newest version of the product, that I was assured would work perfectly. So I spent much of the last week testing the unit, and - alas - while the unit was much improved on the earlier model, it still has some notable problems and limitations.

[ .... ] >>

Read on at:

http://www.thetravelinsider.info/2008/email0411.htm

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:07 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: This sounds as though it might be this device?
It would have been helpful if s/he actually named the device in the article. The Washington Post article said that they tested it and found it worked quite nicely...sooo...idunno...'-}}

Terrie
Old 04-15-2008, 07:05 AM   #5
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
It would have been helpful if s/he actually named the device in the article. The Washington Post article said that they tested it and found it worked quite nicely...sooo...idunno...'-}}

Terrie
I suspect that is because the status was unfavorable and he was waiting for the latest improvements.

Hugh
Old 04-15-2008, 03:16 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: I suspect that is because the status was unfavorable and he was waiting for the latest improvements.
I figured that but it's still sort of stupid to comment--either favorably or not--and not name the product...otherwise, why mention it at all?

Terrie
Old 04-16-2008, 07:21 AM   #7
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Who knows -- his house nearly burned down the other day so maybe he is still a bit distracted .....

Hugh
Old 04-16-2008, 02:31 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: his house nearly burned down the other day so maybe he is still a bit distracted .....
Indeed!

Terrie
Old 06-12-2008, 07:34 PM   #9
cdanddvdpublisher

Quote:
I figured that but it's still sort of stupid to comment--either favorably or not--and not name the product...otherwise, why mention it at all?

Terrie
I feel the same way, but, I've gotta say I know that I get distracted and miss some details here and there - who doesn't?

cdanddvdpublisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:45 PM   #10
iamback

Quote:
I received a catalog from Cyberguys and they have an interesting adjustable armrest with attached mouse pad that I thought some people might find useful.
Looking closely at the images, it puts your "mouse arm" (or at least the hand) quite a bit higher than the other one when you're also using a keyboard. That seems like asking for trouble to me!

Besides, mouse pads wear out - what if this one does? Do you have to buy a whole new unit?

Maybe just an armrest (or two) to attach to your desk surface would be a better idea. Have both arms supported at equal height, and use whatever mousepad you like (even if you like one with a wrist support, or an ultra-thin one to keep your hand on the desk surface).

I also remember someone who had a mousepad (or a surface to put it on) somehow attached to his chair armrest, which allowed him to lean backwards, and still use the mouse comfortably. Of course that requires a desk chair with an armrest, but attaching the mousepad (support) to the chair rather than the desk makes more ergonomic sense to me than to force one into a rigid attitude by attaching it to the desk.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote