DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 03-25-2008, 02:28 PM   #1
yankeeharp

Question Free or thereabouts creating pdf?

Greetings, O great and wise understanders of the vast mysteries of desktop publishing:

Could you tell me if there is any shareware program that creates a pdf file for someone who just wants to convert 2 or 3 files into pdf and isn't going to be doing much publishing after that, or at least has no current plans to?

Thanks.
Charlotte
yankeeharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Charlotte:

We're a nosy bunch. Somebody's bound to ask: Mac or PC? ;-)

How do I make a PDF?
http://www.rdpslides.com/psfaq/FAQ00008.htm

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:13 PM   #3
Howard Allen

Charlotte--

Welcome to the DTP Forum!

You wouldn't be asking this question if you were using Mac OSX (which makes PDFs natively), so I assume you're on Windows. In that case, Adobe itself has a couple of options.

1) Acrobat is available as a fully functional, free 30-day trial. If you really only need to make 2 or 3 pdfs, that would more than do the job.

2) Adobe also has an online service, "Create PDF Online which is good for 5 free PDFs if you sign up for a trial. You upload files to their site and they send them back to you as PDFs. After that, they charge on a monthly (US$10) or annual (US$100) for the service.

If you only have those few files to convert, you could probably find a friend who could do it for you.

Others here will probably be able to offer more suggestions for Windows.

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:28 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Hi Charlotte...welcome to the forum...

I don't know if this will help but the other day I discovered that docs.google.com will create a pdf for you when you click on the print button after uploading the file--I had uploaded a .doc file (I don't have Word...ewww...gag!!! '-}}) and clicked on the Print button and the Adobe Reader opened. I was able to save the pdf with no problems via the "save file" within the Reader and later reopen the saved pdf in Reader and print it.

I think google docs has some limitations on file size that you can upload to their system but it's certainly worth a try...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:50 PM   #5
BobRoosth

http://www.cutepdf.com/

Free and reasonably function for creation only. Costs for pdf editing/manipulation.
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:25 AM   #6
iamback

Looking for "portable" apps I came across PDFTK, a PDF toolkit that allows manipulation. Freeware, cross-platform and with a portable "builder" (a GUI wrapper for the Windows version). Downloaded, not tested yet.

More PDF stuff here.

(I haven't found portable PDF creation software yet, though. That usually involves installing a printer driver - which is by definition not portable.)

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:35 AM   #7
yankeeharp

Steve, Howard, terrie, Bob, Marjolein and dt,

Wow... thanks for all the suggestions. From being at a dead end I now have an embarrassment of riches :-). I converted one file from the free online 5-use site and am going to try the cutepdf for the other one.

To answer the questions, I have a PC. Currently using XP on a laptop but I had to be dragged kicking and screaming away from W98 with which I was perfectly happy.

I am converting these 2 files for my sister, an unpublished author. She wrote these two books back in the days when you sent paper to book agents. She received many nice, encouraging rejection letters and now she wants to put them "out there" so her magnum opii will not be lost to eternity. Also, she will probably continue trying to give them to agents in the hope of getting them published, and from what I understand and she has been told, agents want them to be in pdf.

I originally converted them from the wps format they were in for her (an advantage of having W98). The wps files were in the 900K range. The pdf I made and the docs I made it from are in the 400K range. Seems odd that the more advanced formats would be so much smaller. I don't know what she will want to do with them once I send them to her, but I am going to suggest she make 3-chapter versions of each one available for free and then offer the full version for a small amount via paypal. I would have to make the websites and set up the sales -- not that I actually know how to do that -- so that would be an interesting project for me. DH has a well-ranked website he dreams of publishing/selling and never will, and I have a bunch of drawings and other webpages I would like to publish so this would be a worthwhile project for me to learn how to do.

Thanks for the welcome to the forum, but, as you can see from my join date, I have been a member since a few months after it was formed, and I was a member in the old Compuserve forum before that. I just never had anything to ask before this. So, many of you are familiar to me even though I am unknown to you. In CS, I posted mostly in UKPolitics/CurrentAffairs (locked out but let back in by new (owner), Religion (locked out) Sci/Math (locked out) and UKforum (locked out but Manners let me back in when the software lost all the elfs and he always denied I had ever been locked out in the first place or that the software change had lost all the elfs) and NewAgeB (left on my own accord after a big flame war). So, if any of you ever posted to any of them, perhaps we have met before.

Thanks again for all your help.

Peace and love,
Charlotte O'Neil
(used to post as Charlotte McNeill at the beginning)
Old 03-26-2008, 09:22 AM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

So glad you got useful advice here.

And when you start creating your sister’s web site, come on back — we have really useful advice on that topic around here (as you can see by browsing the sections).

Old 03-26-2008, 03:58 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
charlotte: I have a PC. Currently using XP on a laptop but I had to be dragged kicking and screaming away from W98 with which I was perfectly happy.
LOL!!! I do know that feeling as I went kicking and screaming from W98 to W2K and then recently kicked and screamed my way into WinXP...'-}}

I will say that whenever I needed to use my old Win98 system after moving to W2k, I did find that in the end, I did like W2k...I'm still not quite sure about XP but I suppose I'll feel the same way about it too...someday...

Have fun with all your projects...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:41 PM   #10
yankeeharp

Yeah, truth to tell I was dragged kicking and screaming away from my manual typewriter -- I liked the clickety-clack of the keys and felt I couldn't compose my thoughts the same way on an electric typewriter, but I adjusted. (Sundial? Who needs a sundial when you can just look at the sun to tell what time it is? <s>)

Thanks for the offer of further advice, Kathleen. I'll take you up on it. I made one of the 3-chapter samples. It is at http://lowmoonglowing.googlepages.co...age_sample.pdf. My question is, when I go to it on my computer, which doesn't have Adobe reader (yet), I get an offer to download the file, but when I went to the URL on another computer I get the already-opened file. How can I put a button/what is the html code for something that looks nice and offers you the option of downloading? Actually, I'm not even really sure how I want to present this. Is there a standard way of going about it?

It is also at http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=ajg85r22x2m2_26gc67p5d9 where I uploaded it to Google docs to get the pdf -- thanks, Terrie -- CutePDF isn't working for me, Bob; it says the directory is currently unavailable every time I try to find CutePDF in the Find Printer dialogue which is how they say to use the app. Anyway, the file is in doc form in google docs. Do I want to do anything with that? I still haven't figured out exactly what google docs is for that can't be done on an ordinary webpage except allow more than one person to collaborate on writing it, apparently, but I don't want anyone to co-write with me and I don't know why anyone would so maybe I am not "getting it" as far as what google docs is for. What do you use it for?