DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 03-20-2008, 12:54 PM   #1
Britannia

Default QuarkXpress 3.3 for Mac OS 9

Evenin' all

I was recommended to come here by the egg heads at QuarkXPress, and well, here I am.

I'm currently writing my memoirs for my family and friends to enjoy after I've...croaked it...and I was using QuarkXPress to write them up. Unfortunately, being the old fart I am, I deleted the original QuarkXPress 3.3 from my PowerMac 7200/90, and have nothing to a) open them up and b) convert them to Word documents. My Son tried his QuarkXPress 7.1, and that didn't work - is what I really need is the original 3.3 version.

If anyone could give some help as to where I could download this ancient (12 year old) program, I'd be greatly appreciative. I hope you can understand from my perspective that it would be tragic if they never got to see my memoirs which are currently around 28,600 words long.

Thank you all
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:51 PM   #2
fhaber

I have Express 3.something on a IIci, but I'm in the embarrassing position of not knowing the first thing about Quark. If someone with a trace of comptetence doesn't stumble along, I probably could export to Word 5.1 Mac (fairly universal), if someone could direct me, elaborately.
fhaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:13 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhaber View Post
I have Express 3.something on a IIci, but I'm in the embarrassing position of not knowing the first thing about Quark. If someone with a trace of comptetence doesn't stumble along, I probably could export to Word 5.1 Mac (fairly universal), if someone could direct me, elaborately.
Have you got it to run? You’d need the registration number, I’m pretty sure.

If you have it running, it should recognize the document and open it. Once it is open, you can use Save Text … in the File menu to save it in Word 4 (probably) format; or as plain ascii text. Easy-peasy.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:27 PM   #4
fhaber

Oh yes, it runs. It's a legit site-licensed version from a major agency, with which I have a connection. It's just that I never..... (and probably never will.) You first.
fhaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:24 PM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhaber View Post
Oh yes, it runs. It's a legit site-licensed version from a major agency, with which I have a connection. It's just that I never..... (and probably never will.) You first.
Let’s see what the questioner has to say. I am willing, though it has been a while since I last used XPress.

But I was able to launch it in Classic in my oldish G4 and see the options to export text. Who knows? they might even work.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:06 PM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britannia View Post
… I deleted the original QuarkXPress 3.3 from my PowerMac 7200/90, and have nothing to a) open them up and b) convert them to Word documents. My Son tried his QuarkXPress 7.1, and that didn't work - is what I really need is the original 3.3 version.

If anyone could give some help as to where I could download this ancient (12 year old) program, I'd be greatly appreciative.
I doubt that you will be able to download any version of QuarkXPress. You might find a used copy for sale on eBay, but if you do, make sure the license comes with it, along with the registration number, or you won’t be able to open it.

If you find an XPress user here who still has version 3.3, they might be able (and willing) to take your document and export the text so you could use it in Word. We have quite a few XPress (or ex-XPress) users, and I think they would try.

I have 4.0.4 on my old G4, but it appears that it can do it. If you want to zip your file and send it I will give it a try. The only version of Word it will save to is Word 4.

And I see that Frank has 3.3, which would surely open the files (though I believe 4 will as well).

Alternatively, you could buy a copy of the generally useful CanOpener from Abbott Systems. It opens orphaned files, cleans up the proprietary junk within them, and extracts text, etc. They claim to be able to open any file; I would check with them first to see if that really includes XPress 3.3, but I suspect it does. The software costs $65, and you can download it from the web.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:48 PM   #7
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

If Britannia takes you up on the offer and your version of XPress won't recognize the files, try sticking ".qxd" on the end (assuming it's not there already). Seems silly that it might be looking for the filename extension, but stranger things have happened. I've seen added extensions make stroppy QX files behave before.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:54 AM   #8
Britannia

Thanks a lot for the offer duck, and I appreciate your help there. Unfortunately, I have a fair few other things which need converting and opening, and I'm sure yud get tired of sending and receiving stuff all all the time. The software you recommended looks good, I shall have to give it a try (if it works in England though - $68 sounds like quite a few bob.)

I bought it way back in '96 and it has worked for me over the last decade or so; I don't see the need to update. Plus, living in the most over-taxed country in Europe (with the worst paid pensioners like me), I don't think I could afford the £600 or whatever it is to be honest. Shame.

Thanks a lot for the responses folks.

PS. I hope you can understand my dialect - it's how we talk in Lincolnshire.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:58 AM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britannia View Post
Thanks a lot for the offer duck, and I appreciate your help there. Unfortunately, I have a fair few other things which need converting and opening, and I'm sure yud get tired of sending and receiving stuff all all the time. The software you recommended looks good, I shall have to give it a try (if it works in England though - $68 sounds like quite a few bob.)

I bought it way back in '96 and it has worked for me over the last decade or so; I don't see the need to update. Plus, living in the most over-taxed country in Europe (with the worst paid pensioners like me), I don't think I could afford the £600 or whatever it is to be honest. Shame.

Thanks a lot for the responses folks.

PS. I hope you can understand my dialect - it's how we talk in Lincolnshire.
I wish I could hear the dialect, but you don’t have much of an accent when you type.

I suspect it will work in England, and the exchange rate favors you now, so maybe it won’t be too bad. The give a 30-day money-back guarantee, so it isn’t such a bad gamble.

Let us know how it turns out.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:30 PM   #10
Britannia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
I wish I could hear the dialect, but you don’t have much of an accent when you type.

I suspect it will work in England, and the exchange rate favors you now, so maybe it won’t be too bad. The give a 30-day money-back guarantee, so it isn’t such a bad gamble.

Let us know how it turns out.
Yes, thinking of it I suppose there'd be no harm in trying. I mean it's probably the best thing to do instead of using 12 year old software - I don't even use half the functions on it anymore anyway. Again, thanks for recommending it, I'll probably have a look at the trial after the Easter bank holiday (the whole country's off work for the next two days due to it being a national holiday).

Oh, and with the accent, I don't really type with it, but ah 'spose if wey'd be talkin' laa'k we do 'round 'ere, then wey'd probly be speakin' summit laa'k this realli' - afta a nice bit o' stew pot fer yer brekkie, washed dahn witha pot a tea.

Thanks all...