DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 03-13-2008, 05:19 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default GMX - PhotoPainter (for Windows)

GMX - PhotoPainter software converts digital photos into a variety of natural media looks. It is an upgrade of Gertrudis. Most of the interface problems we found in Gertrudis are gone. Plus, there are many new brush features and several other significant changes.

http://www.gertrudisgraphics.com/gmx.php
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:51 AM   #2
LoisWakeman
Staff

Looks interesting Andrew. I've just been giving Corel Painter Essentials a trial, so will try this too and see how they compare. About the same on price and apparent features having looked at the site. Some of the user gallery samples are ghastly though!
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:00 AM   #3
Andrew B.
Staff

IMO, Painter and GMX - PhotoPainter are different kinds of tools with a couple things in common.

Painter (including Essentials) is world-class software for simulation of natural media. The user controls every stroke, and uses settings to adjust the quality of the strokes. GMX doesn't do this. It cannot create a picture from nothing. And it cannot achieve the same quality of natural media simulation found in Painter.

Painter also has the ability to clone a photo using brush strokes, including automated stroking tools. This is where the two tools overlap. But GMX - PhotoPainter does this much much better.

I think both programs fall short when it comes to automated strokes placed on human faces. So some touch-up is needed there. And GMX - PhotoPainter can't do controlled touch-up. But I'd still pick GMX - PhotoPainter as a starting place.

If you decide to test it, you might want to look at the tutorials listed on this page: http://www.gertrudisgraphics.com/for...opic.php?id=84

Last edited by Andrew B.; 03-14-2008 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Pretty interesting...I played with the original many moons ago and didn't find it all that useful compared to Painter...the problem--as you noted--is the automated stroking which I've always found produces something that looks like it's been automatically stroked...'-}}

That's holds for Painter's auto actions too...

Thanks for the tutorial links...the pen and ink one was interesting and I think that the pen and ink "brush" could lead to something nice but in that tutorial, he goes too far and loses what could have been an interesting image--the end result looks like filter has been applied rather than a "true" pen and ink drawing...

Terrie

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:32 PM   #5
Andrew B.
Staff

I gave up on matching natural media. What I tried to do is get some of the nice qualities of natural media without it looking automated.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:28 AM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: What I tried to do is get some of the nice qualities of natural media without it looking automated.
Yeah...that can be tricky but doable if you fiddle with the output...I find that many of these things just sort of soften the original image and apply a texture which is why the end result has a filtered look...

Terrie
Old 03-16-2008, 12:24 PM   #7
Andrew B.
Staff

You are right. One would need to do other things to the photo. I usually started with color dynamics. And I never went for the stroked look. But no sane person would want to spend the time I spent, for so few successes.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:35 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: But no sane person would want to spend the time I spent, for so few successes.
LOL!!! I do know that feeling...as in "maybe if I try it this way, I'll get something I like"...'-}}

Terrie
Old 03-16-2008, 08:25 PM   #9
Andrew B.
Staff

Exactly!
Old 03-18-2008, 03:16 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: Exactly!