DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 03-11-2008, 12:44 AM   #1
RJ Emery

Default Replacement Scanning Software

I have a Brother MFC-8840DN printer/scanner/fax machine. It came with bundled scanner software, in particular ScanSoft PaperPort SE version 9. I found that under W98, the software was actually more robust than under XP Pro SP2. For example, under XP, I cannot set 8.5x11 as the default page size, nor can I establish a custom page size.

I purchased Adobe Acrobat 8 Standard in part because I thought it would provide its own driver for the Brother 8840, but I soon discovered it defaults to PaperPort SE for the scanning.

Under both W98 and XP, the PaperPort driver produces PDF file sizes that are unnecessarily huge. By comparison, the file size of an entire issue of Scientific American in searchable PDF format is often less than a single page scanned with PaperPort SE.

What scanning software could I purchase that would replace PaperPort SE and be more robust, feature rich and produce smaller overall file sizes?

OCR to WordPerfect capability is also sought.

Brother MFC-8840DN Printer/Scanner/Fax
RJ Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:18 AM   #2
Howard Allen

I can't really make any suggestions for Windows OCR software other than noting that the ABBYY Finereader product is or was very good with respect to accuracy.

Some OCR software produces PDFs that are layered, with a bitmap image of the page on top and an invisible text layer underneath, which is what makes them searchable (it also makes searches potentially bogus, because you don't see any OCR errors, unless you select, copy and paste into a text editor). That's very likely why the PaperPort PDFs are so huge, especially if the visible image layer is greyscale or RGB color. The Scientific American PDFs are more likely to be straight text, produced directly from the authoring software, making them much smaller.

Having said that, if your PaperPort software gives you the option of plain text OCR output, that would be the way to get smaller files. Of course, you then have to worry about finding the correct fonts, if producing an "identical" copy of the original is necessary.

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:30 AM   #3
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> I have a Brother MFC-8840DN printer/scanner/fax machine. It came with bundled scanner software, in particular ScanSoft PaperPort SE version 9. I found that under W98, the software was actually more robust than under XP Pro SP2. For example, under XP, I cannot set 8.5x11 as the default page size, nor can I establish a custom page size.

Do you log on as an administrator or Power User, or as an ordinary user? If you don't have read/write privileges to the section of the registry or whatever directory the software keeps its config files in, what you're seeing would likely be the result. If it's a file/directory permissions issue, you can sometimes reinstall the software to a directory you DO Have permissions to write to.

>> I purchased Adobe Acrobat 8 Standard in part because I thought it would provide its own driver for the Brother 8840

Almost no software other than the manufacturer's own provides scanner drivers for any scanners. Instead, software uses the TWAIN driver provided by the scanner manufacturer.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote