DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 02-26-2008, 06:17 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Adobe AIR??

Adobe has announced new technology: Adobe AIR. I am not sure where this takes us, but it seems as if it is meant to make Flash and other tricky web software more commonplace — easier to develop, easier to disseminate. Adobe AIR itself and the AIR SDK are free. So are some of the applications (the client portions, anyway — somewhere, somehow, somebody pays for this).

There are 33 applications listed at the Adobe site, some of them in beta, covering diverse uses, some serious, some not so. The list includes Agile Agenda (project scheduling utility; Snapshooter by Safari. Enter a URL, hit Take Snapshot button, and save an instant picture of any web page to your desktop; PasswordKeeper; Joom Edit (Joomla content manager); FotoBooth (quickly snap pictures using a webcam, with upload to Flickr); Color Browser (organize and display color palettes); CleVR Stitcher (panoramic photo stitcher); and many more. Sort of like cross-platform widgets, maybe?

Snatches of information from the Adobe site to help explain how this technology works, or how Adobe is marketing it, anyway:

For developers:
The Adobe® AIR™ runtime lets developers use proven web technologies [Ajax, Flex, and Flash] to build rich Internet applications that deploy to the desktop and run across operating systems.
Business advantages:
With the Adobe® AIR™ runtime, you can deliver branded rich Internet applications (RIAs) on the desktop that give you a closer connection to your customer.

Adobe AIR uses the same proven, cost-effective technologies used to build web applications, so development and deployment is rapid and low risk. You can use your existing web development resources to create engaging, branded applications that run on all major desktop operating systems.

The benefits are extensive. By using Adobe AIR as part of your RIA strategy, you can boost productivity, extend your market reach, enhance customer satisfaction, improve customer retention, lower costs, and increase profits.
Browser vs desktop:
The Adobe® AIR™ runtime complements the browser by providing the same application development and deployment benefits while adding desktop integration, local data access, and enhanced branding opportunities. An emerging design pattern for rich Internet applications (RIAs) is to deliver a browser-based version of an RIA in the browser for all users and an RIA on the desktop for more active users.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:18 AM   #2
Howard Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
The list includes Agile Agenda (project scheduling utility; Snapshooter by Safari. Enter a URL, hit Take Snapshot button, and save an instant picture of any web page to your desktop; PasswordKeeper; Joom Edit (Joomla content manager); FotoBooth (quickly snap pictures using a webcam, with upload to Flickr); Color Browser (organize and display color palettes); CleVR Stitcher (panoramic photo stitcher); and many more. Sort of like cross-platform widgets, maybe?
Hmmm. I wonder who they're aiming this stuff at? Seems to me most of these functions are already freebies that come with OSX. I'm not as familiar with what's available for Windows, but...

Agile Agenda = iCal?
Snapshooter by Safari = Command-Shift-3 (and 4)? (Safari, eh? Is there a trademark issue here?)
PasswordKeeper = Keychain?
Joom Edit = (? Sorry, I don't know what "Joomla" does)
FotoBooth = PhotoBooth (er...is there a trademark issue here?)
Color Browser = Most applications have this function built-in. I suppose if it could organize all palettes across all applications it might be useful.
CleVR Stitcher = Photoshop and Elements--free competition for Adobe's own commercial applications? Is this good for business?

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:50 AM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Allen View Post
Hmmm. I wonder who they're aiming this stuff at? Seems to me most of these functions are already freebies that come with OSX. I'm not as familiar with what's available for Windows, but...

Agile Agenda = iCal?
Snapshooter by Safari = Command-Shift-3 (and 4)? (Safari, eh? Is there a trademark issue here?)
PasswordKeeper = Keychain?
Joom Edit = (? Sorry, I don't know what "Joomla" does)
FotoBooth = PhotoBooth (er...is there a trademark issue here?)
Color Browser = Most applications have this function built-in. I suppose if it could organize all palettes across all applications it might be useful.
CleVR Stitcher = Photoshop and Elements--free competition for Adobe's own commercial applications? Is this good for business?
All good questions. I don’t get this myself.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:54 PM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I only scanned the Adobe info quickly, but isn't the point that the app and data can be "in the cloud" .... out there on the net rather on your computer so you can use it from any computer with a browser you happen to find yourself at?

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:59 AM   #5
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
…out there on the net rather on your computer so you can use it from any computer with a browser you happen to find yourself at?
This seems to be the way things are moving. More and more web sites are being made to behave like applications. Air appears to be a way to build in more features.

Now it's wait and see who wins. If not Adobe, then it will be Microsoft. And if Microsoft wins, I doubt that we will see development tools that run on Mac.

Last edited by Andrew B.; 02-27-2008 at 07:24 AM.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:00 AM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
This seems to be the way things are moving. More and more web sites are being made to behave like applications. Air appears to be a way to build in more features.

Now it's wait and see who wins. If not Adobe, then it will be Microsoft. And if Microsoft wins, I doubt that we will see development tools that run on Mac.
Don’t forget about Google — it is developing applications that run on the web.

It is not just a matter of Adobe and Microsoft. Fortunately!

Old 02-27-2008, 01:58 PM   #7
Andrew B.
Staff

Google is developing web applications. Adobe is giving away and selling tools so others can create applications.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:20 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

I wonder if they are providing AIRsick bags for the resulting nausea from those rich internet applications...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:43 PM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
I wonder if they are providing AIRsick bags for the resulting nausea from those rich internet applications...'-}}

Old 02-26-2008, 06:56 PM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

AIR, AIR is a TLA for As I Recall.

I was hoping to make it more self-referentially tautological, but that's the best I could do.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote