DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 01-28-2008, 04:08 AM   #1
George

Default You Have OCR

I was having problems with my OCR software, and then, I found this article on what I already had anyway. (OCR for scanning text documents into the computer as a word processing document).

I found the shortcut icon to the software by running a search under "Microsoft Office Document Scanning," and then, I put in the MS Office disc and installed it.

It's nice and very easy to use.

George

Last edited by ktinkel; 01-28-2008 at 01:16 PM. Reason: correct incorrect link
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:50 AM   #2
Howard Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
[FONT=Arial] I found this article on what I already had anyway.
Did you paste the wrong link? When I click that link it takes me to SimpleSoftware's commercial sales site.

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:22 AM   #3
iamback

Not me - it takes me to "SimpleOCR is the popular freeware OCR software with hundreds of thousands of users worldwide. (...)" (my emphasis) - that's more like a product description than an article but it sounds like the kind of thing George was referring to. Although they refer to commercial products as well, freeware doesn't count as such. A download link is on that page as well.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:51 AM   #4
Howard Allen

Hmmmmm...er...OK...I guess it's his thread title and his second paragraph that confused me. I interpreted it to mean that he'd read an online article pointing him to some obscure optional OCR application that was included as a freebie on one of his MS Office application CDs.

OSX 10.10.5
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:00 PM   #5
George

The forum software fought me tooth and nail in trying to make the post. In the confusion, I posted the wrong link. Here I hope is the correct link -- if the post goes through.

Correct Link

George
Old 01-28-2008, 01:21 PM   #6
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:
The forum software fought me tooth and nail in trying to make the post. In the confusion, I posted the wrong link. Here I hope is the correct link -- if the post goes through.

Correct Link

George
Happy mistake .....

I downloaded SimpleOCR, which said << SimpleOCR works on any PC with either Windows 95, 98, NT4, 2000, or XP. Your scanner need only a TWAIN driver ... >> and test installed it under VISTA Ultimate using Compatibility Mode set to XP with SP2 and Run as Administrator and it installed and works fine .....

I'm lucky that VISTA's Fax and Scan module does not work with my golden oldie scanner the HP SJ5P and that I had to set up old HP Deskscan 2.9 software and TWAIN to get it to work under VISTA. So I now have what looks like a useful OCR for VISTA.

I ran a test document which was a laser print of setup directions for my Router and it made very few mistakes -- most corrections where examples of technical words spelled correctly but not making sense to the OCR.

I'll try some other examples.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:28 PM   #7
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Wyn Griffith View Post
I downloaded SimpleOCR,... and it installed and works fine .....
Hmm-- and I was happy with "Microsoft Office Document Scanning." Maybe, I should try the "SimpleOCR" for an alternative.

George
I'm OK with double quotes.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:45 PM   #8
Hugh Wyn Griffith

In my case I'm using WORD 2002 and HELP may be a bit different from your version (which is it?) but for scanning I did find this but only by using your wording in Search / Help:
Insert a picture directly from a scanner or digital camera
For this procedure, make sure your device is TWAIN- or WIA-compatible and is connected to your computer. You should also make sure that you have installed the device software that supports TWAIN or WIA.
  1. Set up the picture in the scanning device.
  2. On the Insert menu, point to Picture, and then click From Scanner or Camera.
  3. ......
I doubt if WORD 2002 came with OCR but SimpleOCR would work with that description of how to start the scanning.

Hugh
Old 01-28-2008, 02:38 PM   #9
George

Hugh,

I'm using Word 2002. But as part of MS Office. What you posted strikes me as being "Microsoft Office Document Imaging," which is the same stuff as the text scanning software but for photos. If you don't bring it up as a file search, go this way -- Local Drive C; Documents & Settings; All Users; Start Menu; Programs; MS Office Tools. In the tools folder you will see the short cut icons for document scanning and image scanning. When you click on them, it will instruct you to put in the installation disc.

George
Old 01-30-2008, 02:20 PM   #10
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:
Hugh,

I'm using Word 2002. But as part of MS Office. What you posted strikes me as being "Microsoft Office Document Imaging," which is the same stuff as the text scanning software but for photos. If you don't bring it up as a file search, go this way -- Local Drive C; Documents & Settings; All Users; Start Menu; Programs; MS Office Tools. In the tools folder you will see the short cut icons for document scanning and image scanning. When you click on them, it will instruct you to put in the installation disc.

George
Last time I tried to answer you the forum crashed so I'll keep it short and simple.

I've been there as far as the call for the disk 1 of Works Suite 8 that I have and which includes WORD 2002 but I've not gone beyond yet.

You can of course just start with the Start menu, at least in XP, and there's a menu item for Microsoft Office Tools which I'd never noticed .....

Hugh