DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 01-19-2008, 05:19 PM   #1
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Default Where to install Joomla!

I've downloaded Joomla! and am wondering where to install it - in the base directory, i.e. public_html or in /joomla/

Any advice on this would be appreciated. My inclination is to install it in /joomla/, but as I want to use it for the home page, I'm wondering if I should install it in public_html.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:46 AM   #2
Kelvyn
Staff

Install it in the site root, public_html. This avoids having to use .htaccess to redirect to domain.com/joomla/index.php

I assume you are installing Version 1.0.13? We are giving a good test to 1.0.14, now at RC1, and should be at full release in 1-3 weeks. There is an easy update from 13 to 14.

Joomla 1.5 is at RC4 and pretty stable now, full release timescale not yet known. This is an option, and is a much improved CMS, however addons for 1.5 are still few on the ground.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 10:03 AM   #3
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn View Post
Install it in the site root, public_html. This avoids having to use .htaccess to redirect to domain.com/joomla/index.php
Thanks, Kelvyn. That's exactly the sort of information I was after.

Quote:
I assume you are installing Version 1.0.13? We are giving a good test to 1.0.14, now at RC1, and should be at full release in 1-3 weeks. There is an easy update from 13 to 14.
I'm not sure now, because I downloaded it a few weeks ago. I'll do a new download.

Quote:
Joomla 1.5 is at RC4 and pretty stable now, full release timescale not yet known. This is an option, and is a much improved CMS, however addons for 1.5 are still few on the ground.
I've bought the vBulletin addon, so had better stick with 1.0.13, I think.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:56 PM   #4
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
I've bought the vBulletin addon, so had better stick with 1.0.13, I think.
Using bridges such as that for vBulletin can cause issues with updates, as they usually involve hacks of the core code and may not be compatible with other components that may be installed. That's why FireBoard is so popular with J! users as it is installed as a component needs no core mods.

Probably best to start with 1.0.13 - you can always test an update to 1.0.14 when at full release.

There is an exiting addon for Joola 1.5 which is JFusion, released under GPL. Already this bridges to vB 3.6.8, phpBB3 and SMF 1.1.4 forums.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:19 AM   #5
Clayton

I use WordPress for my stuff and it requires a dedication installation for each website or blog. Makes it tough when application updates come around though. Anyway, I have WordPress installed in:

/public_html/site1
/public_html/site2
etc.

Thankfully you don't need a separate database for each site!

I believe the same holds true for Joomla - a separate install for each site folder under public_html (or whatever your public root is called. (Hmmm, that doesn't sound too good, does it...)
Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:50 PM   #6
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
I believe the same holds true for Joomla - a separate install for each site folder under public_html (or whatever your public root is called. (Hmmm, that doesn't sound too good, does it...)
Hmm, does it? I was hoping to use .htaccess to point to it.