DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 01-15-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
cmdrico7812

Default InDesign Layout Templates/Inspiration

Hello all! I am an urban planner and work for a consulting firm where the majority of our output are documents anywhere from 25-300 pages in length. Until now they are fairly boring and need serious layout help. As the new guy, part of my mission is make our documents more appealing. I have Adobe InDesign at my disposal, but have a very limited background in design. Does anyone know where I could find manual/book/large document templates for InDesign that I can begin modeling our documents after? Or, does anyone know where I could a good website that has examples of nice layout schemes? Thanks so much in advance!

Eric
cmdrico7812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:58 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrico7812 View Post
I have Adobe InDesign at my disposal, but have a very limited background in design. Does anyone know where I could find manual/book/large document templates for InDesign that I can begin modeling our documents after? Or, does anyone know where I could a good website that has examples of nice layout schemes?
Hi, Eric — welcome to the forum!

InDesign (the CS3 package, anyway) includes a few book templates. You might want to start there. (On the Mac, you find them in Library > Application Support > Adobe > Templates. On Windows, may be a similar path, or a Windows user can tell you.)

I have only seen ads for a few commercial book templates, and cannot vouch for them. Here one that looks likely:

InDesign Idea Book by Chuck Green, with CD templates. Includes a few book templates. $60.

You could also look for printed books that you admire and think are of the right style and design, and convert them to an ID template yourself. Or hire a designer to develop a template for you.

Hope some of this helps.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:11 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

You might also take a browse at the Before and After magazine site...definitely worth a browse and perhaps a subscription...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:33 PM   #4
Howard Allen

I bought Robin Williams' Non-Designer's Design Book (and her sequel, "The Non-Designer's Type Book"), both of which are quick reads, and may give you a hand up in getting away from the ersatz typewriter look. No templates included, and they're very much made for rank amateurs (like me).

OSX 10.10.5

Last edited by Howard Allen; 01-15-2008 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Didn't close my parentheses!
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:48 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Howard's post reminded me that Before & After also has books that might prove useful too...

Terrie

PS...I love Robin Williams' books...'-}}
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:30 PM   #6
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
PS...I love Robin Williams' books...'-}}
Oh yes...her books are the fastest way to make print look good for the novice, and the advice lasts and lasts.

However, I remember once posting on what I learned from Williams on ellipses, and Kathleen objected strenuously. Now, I think I realize what happened -- Kathleen uses Adobe InDesign, and Williams was helping out with less sophisticated programs.

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:15 AM   #7
DTP Guy

Hi Eric

Welcome to the Forum. You could have a look here:

http://www.stocklayouts.com/Products...Templates.aspx

There are a couple of templates available for free download and there is a lot of inspiration there too!