DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 01-07-2008, 11:44 AM   #1
Marilynx

Kathleen,

OK, I'm back. Again. Been a strange autumn, and then Christmas Insanity Season. However, I am now going to set aside Monday and Tuesday for working on my cook book (I've even turned off the email!).

I made it as far as placing a text file in a PM file. Now I'm trying to format things... but the styles I set up aren't working the same way similar styles did in Word, which is to say, I'm not getting the LOOK I want.

Also have not figured out WHAT I am going to do about fractions. I simply cannot afford to shell out $100 or more for a fractions font, not with my hours having been cut at the book store. (Hence the time to work on the cook book.)

I tried to change the formatting on the recipe titles, and that is apparently linked in some way to the page headers, because when I follow the directions in my book for changing a style, the font on the header changes at the same time, yet header and title styles aren't (as far as I can tell) linked in any way.

I don't like the spacing -- I need more space at the top and bottom of the ingredients list, but that means having THREE styles for just the ingredients?!?! Or hand-changing each first line and each end line on every single recipe?!

Is there an "undo" anywhere that I'm missing so that if I make a change and don't like it, I can just tell it to undo whatever instead of having to find each item and remember what the original setting was so I can put it back?

Regrettably, I'm not finding this at all intuitive.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:40 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilynx View Post
Now I'm trying to format things... but the styles I set up aren't working the same way similar styles did in Word, which is to say, I'm not getting the LOOK I want.
How not? The wrong font? Wrong size? Wrong line-spacing? Something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilynx
Also have not figured out WHAT I am going to do about fractions.
You have a few choices.
  1. Buy a regular weight Century Schoolbook fraction font, which costs $30 (or less if someone discounts it). I cannot imagine that you will need to make bold or italic fractions; if you do, redesign the book!
    ::
  2. Make typewriter-style fractions: 2-1/2, for example. They are unambiguous and very readable, and do not call for much (or any) fussing.
  3. Fake the fractions: set the fraction by leaving the whole number alone then applying superscript and subscript to the fraction parts, separated by the fraction slash (not the regular one). Use horizontal scale to fatten up the vertical parts of the figures slightly (10 or 15%, probably); and I would change PageMaker’s defaults to make both super- and sub-scripts larger and more likely to be readable. Once you have the style defined, make it a character style and apply that to the fraction parts.
  4. Alternatively, use bold for the numerator/denominator — but odds are, in this font it will make them too weirdly bold (works best when there is a semibold available).
Quote:
I tried to change the formatting on the recipe titles, and that is apparently linked in some way to the page headers, because when I follow the directions in my book for changing a style, the font on the header changes at the same time, yet header and title styles aren't (as far as I can tell) linked in any way.
If you look at the styles box, you can click on each style to see whether it is linked or not (and if so, you can change it). I usually set up styles beginning with text, then create any subsidiary styles as based on text; then make title as a standalone style and base subheads on that. Make one header (or footer) style, call it header left; duplicate it, change what needs to be changed, and call it header right; etc. (In my case, the second one would always be based on the first.)
Quote:
I don't like the spacing -- I need more space at the top and bottom of the ingredients list, but that means having THREE styles for just the ingredients?!?! Or hand-changing each first line and each end line on every single recipe?!
Never hand-change! Yes, set up as many styles as you need. Do the ingredients follow text or the title? If the latter, add the space after to the title style. Or just have ingredients, ingredients first, and ingredients last. Vastly preferable to hand-editing pages (and much more likely to keep these details consistent throughout the book).
Quote:
Is there an "undo" anywhere that I'm missing so that if I make a change and don't like it, I can just tell it to undo whatever instead of having to find each item and remember what the original setting was so I can put it back?
The regular undo works while you are defining the style, and if you save religiously, PageMaker has a Revert that will restore everything to the last-saved version. I suspect that you will hit a groove at some point, and this will all be easier.

Quote:
Regrettably, I'm not finding this at all intuitive.
Who promised you intuitive? (Been reading the ads again, huh?)

Typesetting is an order of magnitude more complex than word processing, and Word is a universe unto itself, leaving traces of unwanted styling in files and vestiges of odd practice in our minds. I predict you will become happier with PM as you go along — especially after you have your styles set up.