DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 03-27-2005, 10:37 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Automated Slide Show as PDF

I didn't realize before tonight that a PDF can contain an automated slide slow. I just created one using ACDSee 7 and a folder full of pictures. Then I looked on the web and found out Photoshop Album can do this, and possibly other programs too.

I'm not sure what use I could make of this. But it might come in handy some day.
Andrew B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 06:37 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B.
I didn't realize before tonight that a PDF can contain an automated slide slow. I just created one using ACDSee 7 and a folder full of pictures. Then I looked on the web and found out Photoshop Album can do this, and possibly other programs too.

I'm not sure what use I could make of this. But it might come in handy some day.
Is the file relatively small (considering the number of images)? And can it be read by older versions of Reader or only new(ish) ones?

—Kathleen

Old 03-28-2005, 06:20 PM   #3
Andrew B.
Staff

I viewed the slide show in Version 5, and according to Steve it goes back further than that. As for the size, I used 16 photos that total 1.62 MB. When made into a PDF slide show, the file was 1.83 MB.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:26 PM   #4
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

I did one for my parents' 60th wedding anniversary celebration in August 2000 and used v4. Worked great and the PC users among my family could read it without problem.

Old 03-28-2005, 01:44 PM   #5
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Automated in the sense that it automatically advances from one page to the next at timed intervals and can use one of several transitions from slide to slide?

Yup. You've been able to do this in PDF since version 2 or so. Certainly since v3. But you can only set one consistent interval and (?) transition to use for the entire show via the UI, where in fact each slide can have its own transition time and effect (we'll leave the advisability of using many different transition effects to another thread once we find participants willing to argue in favor of doing so.)

We have an addin for Powerpoint that makes use of this and a few other little tricks when it converts PPT to PDFs. As with PDFMaker (Adobe's own addin) there are a lot of advantages to doing the job at the PDF-making stage rather than later in Acrobat.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 10:50 PM   #6
Andrew B.
Staff

I guess I need to take the time to learn more about Acrobat.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:32 PM   #7
groucho
Staff

There is also a nifty free powertoy for XP that will take in a pile of images and produce a slide show that runs in HTML, so once it is built it can be shown anywhere. The only "catch" to it, is that it appears to use any image file format--and then won't work. It needs to be fed JPEG images in order to work properly.

Since it is HTML, I suppose you could take the shell it produces, reference your choice of image files, and replicate it on any platform as well.
groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 03:49 PM   #8
leftnotracks

I had a job like this a few years ago. An Annual Report was being presented at a company's AGM. The disigner was fluent with QuarkXPress, but everything else was Greek to him. So he designed the presentation in XPress, same as the AR. Another company was hired to convert the presentation to a PowerPoint file.

I had nothing to do with the presentation, but from what I had heard, and my gut feeling, I was sure the conversion would either be lousy, late or both (certainly not neither). So I experimented.

I converted the presentation to PDF. I then added invisible navigation buttons (BIG ones) to go forward, backward, show/hide menus, return to the first page, and close the presentation. I added a page explaining exactly where these butons were and indicated keyboard shortcuts that would to the same things without the mouse. I finally emailed it to a friend with Windows to test.

It worked. In fact, it was perfect. The colours were just as the designer intended, The fonts used exactly matched the AR. The logos and graphs rendered perfectly, and the fonts antialiased. None of these things would have been seen in the presentation if done in PowerPoint. Best of all, the solution was easier to use than a PowerPoint file, it was secure from editing by the client, and it could fit on a floppy disk.

I got a $60 bottle of scotch for that one.
leftnotracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 05:18 PM   #9
Franca
Staff

That sounds fabulous. Like Andrew, I suspect it would be worth my time to get to know Acrobat better after all these years. ;-)

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 09:37 PM   #10
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca
That sounds fabulous. Like Andrew, I suspect it would be worth my time to get to know Acrobat better after all these years. ;-)
I've been using it as a print driver. And doing an occasional postscript file directly into Distiller. But since my last post, I signed up for an online class about Acrobat 6. Amazing what I've been overlooking. Like being able to run OCR on a scanned document via a connection to the Adobe site. Or create PDF from clipboard. Or capture web page by giving Acrobat the URL, including options to capture pages that link from that page. Or search multiple PDF on the hard disk, without first creating a multi-PSF index.

All the stuff lots of people know, but I didn't.