DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 12-01-2007, 12:48 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default No-knead bread: tasty, easy

A year ago I read an article in the New York Times about a fabulous, artisanal-quality bread that requires no kneading. You just throw flour, water, yeast, and salt in a bowl, mix it up, and let it sit at room temp for 18 hours (or more). Form into a loaf, and pour into a pre-heated cast-iron pot with cover, and bake for 45 minutes.

You can view a video on this at the New York Times site. Links to the right of the video are to the article and the recipe. The Times is free to all these days — just have an ad or two to deal with.

Even more useful are the two videos from the Breadtopia site.

I just saw that Cooks Illustrated has decided to do an “improved” version (they add vinegar, reduce the liquid, and replace some of the water with beer, among other things). I fear they are trying to make a different sort of bread altogether, but the article is in the January issue of the magazine, and I don’t think I’ve received that yet. (Or online, if you join. The link is to a synopsis with a join-up option.)

Then about a week ago the Times ran another article on no-knead baking, this one using a short fermentation time, followed by baking on stones with a dish of water in the oven to make the crust crackle. The recipe is from a book called Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking, which has sold out of its first printing since Thanksgiving.

I am pretty sure the other approach will make better bread in the long run — the second one uses too much yeast, and you can taste it. But the ability to keep the dough in the fridge for up to two weeks, so you can hack off enough for a small loaf, a pizza, or rolls for dinner without a lot of planning, is a definite plus. And the book includes a lot of variations on the main recipe.

And I found a third technique and recipe, that uses whole wheat flour and seasonings, and may have been around for a long time.

Anyway, I have been preoccupied with this lately, so thought I would tantalize you guys. Now get back to work!

By the way: There are good threads on the first two techniques on the Cooks Forum on CompuServe. Unfortunately, I had trouble trying to create a simple link so am not posting one.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:39 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

There was an article just this week in The Washington Post's food section on no-knead bread--must be a trend...'-}}

If I get a chance, I'll get the link...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:19 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
There was an article just this week in The Washington Post's food section on no-knead bread--must be a trend...'-}}

If I get a chance, I'll get the link...
Here it is:

Slow Rise and Shine: Bread made easy” by Nancy Baggett. There are links to four recipes for regular types of bread using this technique: a white or light wheat loaf, white or light wheat rolls (using muffin tins instead of manual forming), cinnamon-raisin bread, and a carraway-beer loaf.

It is an interesting article, with some useful information on why the long rise, low-yeast method works so well, including a passage from Shirley Corriher on the science of it.

The related recipes do not require the pre-heated heavy pot (the inner oven) — just bread or muffin tins.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:30 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
kt: It is an interesting article, with some useful information on why the long rise, low-yeast method works so well, including a passage from Shirley Corriher on the science of it.
Glad you found it useful...thanks for finding it as I got sidetracked...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:03 PM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
Glad you found it useful...thanks for finding it as I got sidetracked...
De nada. Thanks for pointing it out!

Old 12-05-2007, 09:39 AM   #6
Cristen Gillespie

Quote:
KT: There are links to four recipes for regular types of bread using this technique:
I'm not a signed-up subscriber, but I could read the article. However, I couldn't find the links to the 4 recipes anywhere. Even went to her site, but there she only has a no-knead version of Bittman's bread in the pot method.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:28 AM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristen Gillespie View Post
I'm not a signed-up subscriber, but I could read the article. However, I couldn't find the links to the 4 recipes anywhere. Even went to her site, but there she only has a no-knead version of Bittman's bread in the pot method.
They make it difficult — the recipes are shown in a box at the very bottom of the screen, headed “Related.”

Here is the link to the first of them: “Slow Rise, No-Knead, Light Wheat (or White) Bread

Maybe that will work.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:01 PM   #8
JVegVT

I'm one who hates kneading and I'm not fond of making bread, either. I use my bread machine on the dough setting, then put the dough in a pan, let it rise, and bake it in the oven. But this No-Knead Bread Recipe promises so much that I have to try it. You do have to handle the dough and it'll be a bit gluppy so it'll stick to my hands and the surface, but if it really comes out as good as they promise, I'll endure the stickiness.

I copied the recipe to my Tuxcards Recipes to Try collection and alphabetically above it I found a recipe for Moroccan Lentil and Chickpea Soup, which looks delicious. So I guess I'll have to do some cooking this coming week.

Tuxcards is a Linux program for creating "cardfiles" of any kind of information you want to keep. I have various cardfiles for recipes, computer tips, URLs I want to keep track of, and odds and ends. It's a very handy program.
--Judy M.

Registered Linux User #397786
Being productive with VectorLinux 7 Standard
JVegVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:36 PM   #9
Franca
Staff

Quote:
Tuxcards is a Linux program for creating "cardfiles" of any kind of information you want to keep. I have various cardfiles for recipes, computer tips, URLs I want to keep track of, and odds and ends. It's a very handy program.
I've been using Google Notebooks for that sort of thing of late, quite successfully, although I also store most things elsewhere as well ... just in case I need it and can't get online.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 05:51 AM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca View Post
I've been using Google Notebooks for that sort of thing of late, quite successfully, although I also store most things elsewhere as well ... just in case I need it and can't get online.
I use iData, which is the current version of an ancient Mac utility once called QuickDEX. It is really a small database program, but it still allows for freeform entries, which is what I mostly use. I put everything in there. I back it up regularly, and keep the old backups, as they are plain text and readable by anything.

But for recipes, I just make a text file, sometimes plain text, sometimes RTF. I got in that habit in the old CompuServe days. Now I have a huge Recipes folder. Someday will have to do some clearing out.