DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 11-07-2007, 09:44 AM   #1
Anna

Default Cleaning a laser printer

Hello! I have an old, reliable HP Laserjet 4 that just refuses to die. The print is still very pretty and I love it. The only problem is that something has gotten on the rollers and I have ghost print down the page–especially when I have a big, bold headline.

So, is there something reliable out there to clean the rollers? I've looked on the office warehouse sites and they have these "wet" papers to put through the printer to clean it up. I have no idea if these will work or not. I'm willing to spend $15 on them if they actually work. (This will be the only $$ ever spent on maintenance, so it's a bargain!)

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Anna

Old 11-07-2007, 11:55 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

I have never used them myself, but have heard that the cleaning kits do work. They should be specifically for laser printers.

Be sure to let us know how it goes! A lot of us around here have old laser printers.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:22 PM   #3
dthomsen8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Hello! I have an old, reliable HP Laserjet 4 that just refuses to die. The print is still very pretty and I love it. The only problem is that something has gotten on the rollers and I have ghost print down the page–especially when I have a big, bold headline.

So, is there something reliable out there to clean the rollers? I've looked on the office warehouse sites and they have these "wet" papers to put through the printer to clean it up. I have no idea if these will work or not. I'm willing to spend $15 on them if they actually work. (This will be the only $$ ever spent on maintenance, so it's a bargain!)

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Anna
I have a LaserJet 4 Plus that serves me well, but I have had repair done on the paper feed mechanism.

I will contact my repair shop for advice on your problem. Have you tried posting on any of the hardware forums, such as Tom's Hardware?
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:30 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

I checked fixyourownprinter.com doing a search on "HP 4" and found 2 cleaning options:

1. Rubber Roller Rejuvenator Can

2. Dull-It Cleaner

Not sure if either will do but worth a look...

Many years ago, I found a packet of "KleenLaser" which has sheets (dry) that you feed through and it's suppose to clean the roller...you might do a web search on "KleenLaser" and see what pops up...if I'm remembering correctly, I think I found it at Staples...

Hope that helps...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:26 PM   #5
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
I checked fixyourownprinter.com doing a search on "HP 4" and found 2 cleaning options:

1. Rubber Roller Rejuvenator Can

2. Dull-It Cleaner

Not sure if either will do but worth a look...
Fixyourownprinter are a first-class outfit. Moe there used to hang out in PCHardware on Compuserve and was always very helpful -- still is since there's a link to email him on their website.

Quote:
Many years ago, I found a packet of "KleenLaser" which has sheets (dry) that you feed through and it's suppose to clean the roller...
I asked Lee K. in PCHardware about something like these that I had spotted on a hang display at Office Depot; he grabbed some and tried them out and came back saying he found them useless.

I'd stick with whatever FYOP offers <g>

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:25 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: Fixyourownprinter are a first-class outfit. Moe there used to hang out in PCHardware on Compuserve and was always very helpful
I've always heard good things about them...never knew he was on the cserve forums...

>>I asked Lee K. in PCHardware about something like these that I had spotted on a hang display at Office Depot; he grabbed some and tried them out and came back saying he found them useless.

I haven't used many of the sheets but when I did, I found they helped--as I remember I was getting random "dirt" on my printed pages and running one of these sheets through cleaned that up...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:35 PM   #7
Hugh Wyn Griffith

I'm not sure any more the basis of Lee's opinion.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:27 PM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

You may be in for a fuser replacement; if the magic pixel dust isn't getting fused thoroughly onto the page, it can transfer to the rollers and repeat this way. I don't know what this is likely to cost nowadays, but for a workhorse printer like this, it'll probably be worth it.

But before you jump, price the newer HP printers; I have a 1320 that cost somewhere around $300. I bought it as a "temporary replacement" for another HP that was in the shop, but liked it so much, it's my main printer now.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 07:09 AM   #9
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Maybe FixYourOwnPrinter will be helpful. Just saw it in some search results.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:21 AM   #10
Anna

Thanks, everyone! I'll have a look at the sites suggested. If I can't do a cheap/easy fix, I'm not sure it's worth it to put much money into fixing a 10-15 year old printer. (I can't even remember when I bought it!) It may be the push I need to finally do the research and figure out whatever else might suit my needs, as Steve suggested.

Hugh, I read on one site where they said essentially the same thing about the cleaner sheets from the office warehouse stores. Which is one of the reasons I came here to ask.

Again, thanks for the suggestions!

Anna