DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 10-31-2007, 01:31 AM   #1
grEEnLighter

My new 3 GHZ dual Proc 8 Gb RAM, has arived.Tiger in it (remember i`m in Romania). Damm... I have harvested the torrents for a copy of Leopard, i have found it. Now all i need is a DL DVD.
Instaled the sistem.
2 much bling for me. Spaces quite fun but sometimes i used to get lost on 1 desktop now i have a lot of them.
Spotlight is ok. That big preview of files (itunes style) is working for psd and ai also, and is rendering the preview quite fast.
The worst problem (for now) is with network. It is not quite easy to connect to another mac in the network. Conected as i was used to. Now you have the network places in the left pannel... but they direct me to an "Share" folder... i will figure this out and deal with it.
I`m at the begining of exploring this system. I do not know if above make sense for you. Im quite confused of this Leopard stuff.
I will keep up to date if i discover something interesting in Leopard. In basic is a Tiger pimped up.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:53 AM   #2
grEEnLighter

Resolved the network problem. It has a Brand new Button who calls himself CONECT AS, bad ideea i think. Why? Because now it connects you to the whole user (more like in Windoze), not volumes instaled on the network machine as in the past. It is quite confusing.
And also the preview thing... it is eye catchy at the first time, but i`m used to browse in the column mode apple+3 and now i`m switching between them, just for that.
Time machine. I have tested it today with and external hdd firewire. Quite fine, but i think that slows down a little bit the system or i`m just too picky.
The stacks. I find a single use for them REMOVE.

Tomorow is another day. I will harvest for more.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:54 PM   #3
Howard Allen

Of particular interest to members of this forum are announcements that several major apps are at least partially broken under Leopard, so be warned. These include some of the Adobe CS3 apps (After Effects, Premiere--to be fixed in December; and Acrobat--to be fixed in "late January") as well as Aperture and FileMaker Pro 9.

And of course, these companies state that any incompatibilities that turn up with earlier products (CS2, FMP 8.x) will NOT be fixed.

"And it all makes work for the working man to do"
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:57 PM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Allen View Post
Of particular interest to members of this forum are announcements that several major apps are at least partially broken under Leopard, so be warned. These include some of the Adobe CS3 apps (After Effects, Premiere--to be fixed in December; and Acrobat--to be fixed in "late January") as well as Aperture and FileMaker Pro 9.

And of course, these companies state that any incompatibilities that turn up with earlier products (CS2, FMP 8.x) will NOT be fixed.
Thanks for the heads-up. I have critical work to do in FileMaker Pro 8.5 (which will have a compatibility upgrade in December) and Acrobat 8, so my copy of Leopard will stay in its box until FMPro at least is fixed.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:21 PM   #5
Howard Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
my copy of Leopard will stay in its box until FMPro at least is fixed.
Yeah, I'm going to wait until the dust settles on this intro before I plunk down my money. All my apps currently work just fine with Tiger. Version 10.5.1 or 10.5.2 will probably be out by early spring (autumn in your part of the world!) and I can afford to wait.

Cheers,
Howard Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:07 PM   #6
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Yeah, I'm going to wait until the dust settles on this intro before I plunk down my money. All my apps currently work just fine with Tiger. Version 10.5.1 or 10.5.2 will probably be out by early spring (autumn in your part of the world!) and I can afford to wait.
I was seduced by the new Mail program, because Entourage 2004 is slower and clunkier than Entourage X. Not that I regret getting Office 2004, because I'm finding it a lot easier to read XML-based spreadsheets I get from PC users.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:20 PM   #7
djb

Quote:

Cheers,
I've found nothing that doesn't work in Leopard. I find some of the eye candy disconcerting, but there are a lot of small enhancements that are abso-freaking-lutely wonderful.

The only real problem I've found is that I have to update a Mac at work from 10.3.9 as Leopard can't see the shared inkjet hanging off it.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 02:18 PM   #8
djb

Quote:
Thanks for the heads-up. I have critical work to do in FileMaker Pro 8.5 (which will have a compatibility upgrade in December) and Acrobat 8, so my copy of Leopard will stay in its box until FMPro at least is fixed.
I use FMP 7 daily. The only thing that's broken is web sharing.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:22 PM   #9
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb View Post
I use FMP 7 daily. The only thing that's broken is web sharing.
What about Acrobat 8? I use it with FileMaker Pro 8.5 a lot.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:40 PM   #10
djb

Quote:
What about Acrobat 8? I use it with FileMaker Pro 8.5 a lot.
I haven't found a problem, but I haven't used Acro8 a lot. OCR from scanned TIFFs works fine.