DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 10-23-2007, 01:10 PM   #1
Laurie

Default PageMaker -- Font Matching problem

Hello,

I'm (still) using PageMaker 7.0.

My question is: How do you find a missing font in PageMaker?

When opening a document, I get a screen/table that says "Panose Font Matching Results". In the table, it lists a missing font, a substitute font and a status. I'd like to get rid of any missing fonts but can't find them. I've moved the cursor through the whole chapter and tried using "select all" to see if there are any hidden stories, but still can't find the missing font.

Many thanks!

Laurie
Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:10 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
I'm (still) using PageMaker 7.0.

My question is: How do you find a missing font in PageMaker?

When opening a document, I get a screen/table that says "Panose Font Matching Results". In the table, it lists a missing font, a substitute font and a status. I'd like to get rid of any missing fonts but can't find them. I've moved the cursor through the whole chapter and tried using "select all" to see if there are any hidden stories, but still can't find the missing font.
Oh, well do I remember that vexing problem.

Two of the most likely secret spots where PM may be hiding a theoretical (i.e., probably invisible) font:
  • in an unused style
  • on a master page (in a footer, maybe)
If all else fails, use the PANOSE substitution thingie to substitute something odd — Zapf Dingbats, for example — and then scan the document to see if it pops up.

Let me know if this doesn’t help; maybe I or someone else can dredge up an old recollection. (Funny how leaving an app makes its little secrets float away!)

Old 10-23-2007, 02:33 PM   #3
Laurie

Thanks for the interesting input. A few questions come to mind:

1) What do you mean by an "unused style" and where would I find any unused styles?

2) When I use the Panose substitution thing and select a font, it asks "Save changes to your font matching exemption file? Yes | No." I selected "no" (was a little afraid to select "yes") and didn't find the missing font in the chapter. Now I wonder if I need to select "yes" in order for the unsual font to display. What do you think?

I greatly appreciate your help.

Laurie
Old 10-23-2007, 04:13 PM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:

1) What do you mean by an "unused style" and where would I find any unused styles?
Unfortunately, you will need to examine all your styles. Once upon a time, the Times font was always in the base (“Normal”) style inherited from (for example) Word files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie
2) When I use the Panose substitution thing and select a font, it asks "Save changes to your font matching exemption file? Yes | No." I selected "no" (was a little afraid to select "yes") and didn't find the missing font in the chapter. Now I wonder if I need to select "yes" in order for the unsual font to display. What do you think?
If you want to see the result, use an odd font and select “Yes” to see the result.

Is there some reason you have not updated to InDesign? I realize it costs money, but PageMaker is barely (if at all) supported, and solving these ancient problems is getting harder and harder.

I would suggest that the sooner you move to InDesign, the more likely you are to solve these problems. I know it is annoying, but the computer industry moves on inexorably, without much regard for users.

Last edited by ktinkel; 10-24-2007 at 08:14 AM. Reason: fixed typo
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:13 AM   #5
Laurie

We've had InDesign for over a year but haven't learned how to use it yet. I simply hate it when new versions are so radically different from older ones, sigh.

Another reason for not using InDesign is that this is a new edition of an existing book that was formatted in PageMaker many years ago. Had it been a new project, we would've started fresh in InDesign.

And finally, we are late with the project and didn't have time to import it into InDesign and learn the functions there. We had intended to put it into InDesign until we imported a few chapters and saw that we'd have to relearn so much to become proficient with the software. The indexing alone was terrifying compared to what we are accustomed to. So it was in large part a matter of lack of time. However, we have time to import other books into InDesign and will do this with our other ones.

I'll try the Panose trick and see what happens. Thanks!

Laurie
Old 10-23-2007, 04:15 PM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:

Unfortunately, you will need to examine all your styles. Once upon a time, the Times font was always in the base (“Normal”) style inherited from (for example) Word files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie
If you want to see the result, use an odd font and select “Yes” to see the result.

Is there some reason you have not updated to InDesign? I realize it costs money, but PageMaker is barely (if at all) supported, and solving these ancient problems is getting harder and harder.

I would suggest that the sooner you move to InDesign, the more likely you are to solve these problems. I know it is annoying, but the computer industry moves on inexorably, without much regard for users.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:37 AM   #7
Laurie

I tried subbing a wild font in Panose but we didn't spot anything in the document. I'd like to remove that wild font from the list of substitute fonts. Do you remember how to do this? I don't want any risk of it messing up the rest of the project as we prepare things for the printer. Thanks!!

Laurie
Old 10-24-2007, 08:28 AM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
I tried subbing a wild font in Panose but we didn't spot anything in the document. I'd like to remove that wild font from the list of substitute fonts. Do you remember how to do this? I don't want any risk of it messing up the rest of the project as we prepare things for the printer. Thanks!!
Ouch. I finally find myself without access to PageMaker, so I need to rely on my memory.

The most straightforward approach would be to remove the PANOSE prefs or whatever file that holds the settings. It could be PM Prefs — try dragging that out when PM is off, then start the program.

Then once again attempt to open the file with the missing font(s) and this time tell PANOSE to ignore it. That should fix it.

Of course, then you will have to remember to reset all your Prefs. I remember that I always set the default font, set images to link rather than embed, and set save to Save smaller instead of Save faster. The easiest approach is just to walk through the Preference panes and then all the menus with no document open and fix anything that bugs you.

I must confess that although I was actually on a user advisory panel during the development of InDesign and although I have had alta, beta, and release versions ever since, I am still most comfortable opening an old PageMaker file with ID when I begin a project. I am trying to work my way beyond that (and should say that I am pretty much retired, so there is little pressure), but you do have my empathy.

The only thing I can say is that once you begin to get the hang of it, ID is a good page layout tool, and so long as you do not believe everything it promises about typography, a good typesetting tool as well (the paragraph-level justification is worth the price of admission all by itself).