DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 10-12-2007, 08:17 PM   #1
marlene
Staff

Default Cogito ergo mouse and keyboard

Need a new mouse and keyboard. I've been using a Microsoft optical wheel mouse for years, but I don't find it particularly comfortable.

Sometimes I get "mouse hand" where the strings/cords/ligaments on the back of my hand hurt, and I'm not sure if a more ergonomic mouse would help. It happens when I'm overworked, so maybe it's unavoidable.

No real complaints about my Microsoft keyboard, but wouldn't mind something more comfy and/or snazzy (and less clicky). I like the looks of those wild backlit keyboards (I think they are for gamers) but don't know anything about them. Maybe they're for teenagers and not doddering old people with hurty hand strings?

Any suggestions?

And before anyone asks, I already have a Wacom tablet and pen. I never could get the hang of using that pen as a mouse.

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 05:28 AM   #2
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene View Post
Any suggestions?
mxh
I use a laptop optical mouse with a bean bag wrist rest on a small tea table beside my chair. It's very comfortable and relaxing. I also tend to sit further back, which is better for the eyes. My keyboard is in my lap.

However, I just installed voice control keyboard software, and I was surprised to see how much I did not feel stress in my hands. I haven't spent much time with this, but I know this is the way I'm going very soon. Of course, it doesn't entirely eliminate the use of the mouse and keyboard, but it is reduced significantly. It works with text editors and really just everything, including this forum.

I finally got to using the computer I set up in my library, as I like to change environments to keep fresh in my thinking while I work. (Sometimes I'll just change my cloths several times during the day to stay fresh). So I pulled over this channel back easy chair nearby and started working from that -- dang that's nice, and it intensifies my concentration just how I like.

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:17 PM   #3
marlene
Staff

Quote:
I use a laptop optical mouse with a bean bag wrist rest
Is it wireless? I happened to be in a store today that had a pretty big selection of keyboards and mice, and a lot of them were wireless.

I started using wrist rest several months ago -- I was getting a sore spot on the heel (?) of my hand where it rubbed the desk when I moused. The wrist rest isn't a beanbag, but it's made of some kind of thermal foam covered with a very soft smooth fabric of some sort.

Quote:
I use a laptop optical mouse with a bean bag wrist rest
If my keyboard were in my lap, it would be covered with crumbs. <g> As it is, every once in a while I have to turn it over and shake out the sesame seeds and other flotsam.

mxh
Old 10-15-2007, 07:28 AM   #4
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene View Post
Is it wireless?

I started using wrist rest several months ago -- I was getting a sore spot on the heel (?) of my hand where it rubbed the desk when I moused. The wrist rest isn't a beanbag, but it's made of some kind of thermal foam covered with a very soft smooth fabric of some sort.
The mouse is not wireless but USB. But I would have no problem with buying a wireless. Mine is a Targus, both ball and optical. The ball is on the top, and I can set it for the curser or scrolling, with the optical then taking the opposite feature. It's not a mini-laptop, but just a laptop, It works nice, especially being on the tea table. I have another mouse on the keyboard tray, but I use the tray mainly for reference material. I keep the key board on the printer tray when not in use. (I've gone to dogs that don't shed).

I plug the mouse into a laptop USB hub, (which lies secure flat on the desk, connected to the computer with a USB extension. I don't like standard USB hubs necessarily, as the plug sets too high, which doesn't seem real secure to me for enduring use).

In my library computer, I also use a tea table, and the mouse is on a pad that has a gel rest -- it's very comfortable, but it cost $20. Right now I'm using a standard optical mouse, but I just really started using this computer, so I don't know what I will go to.

For my other computer (not used much), I have a big arm rest that looks something like a bicycle seat. I have a twist bolt to connect it to an office table. Now that is support -- very nice, for work that isn't done sitting back and relaxed.

I've been looking at laptop wireless mice, thinking about the other computers and probably will go with one in the near future.

Marlene, you really should take ergonomics very seriously. Put as much time into you mouse and keyboard rest support as anything else. Take care of that raw spot on your hand. Waiting too long has very unpleasant consequences, and the risk is most real for the continued computer user.

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:45 PM   #5
marlene
Staff

Quote:
I have a big arm rest that looks something like a bicycle seat.
I almost bought something like that years ago (at a "Healthy Back" store that sold ergonomic chairs and stuff). I had just starting using a mouse and my right arm ached all the time.

But now I have an Aeron chair with a nice armrest, so no more achey arm (at least not usually).

I'm still mouse and keyboard shopping. I've looked at dozens -- there are SO many different models these days -- and it's tough to make a decision.

mxh
Old 10-13-2007, 08:44 AM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I'll second George's suggestion. Both Helen and I use the little (but not teeny) MS Notebook Optical Mouse. They have a wheel, the usual two buttons and that's it. And for some reason, every other mouse I've used picks up crud on the glide pads and starts to get sticky over time. These barely do, and take forever to get to the point where it's annoying.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 11:29 PM   #7
marlene
Staff

Quote:
little (but not teeny) MS Notebook Optical Mouse
Do you find that the heel of your hand (I think that's what it's called) drags on the desk when you use the mouse? That's my sensitive spot.

Today I found a big honkin' MS wireless mouse that is taller than most mice and from playing with it in the store it seems that it might keep my hand-heel off the desk. But I suspect I might have a problem with the angle, since it's so tall.

Quote:
crud on the glide pads
I know what you mean. Last time my MS mouse got cruddy, I gave it to Mr. E and bought myself a new one. <LOL>

Do you ever get cat hair in the optical workings, where the red light is? If my mouse starts acting funny, and roll it over on its back and invariably find a dog hair sticking out of the doorway to the mouse's optical department.

FvH
Old 10-15-2007, 11:11 AM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>Do you find that the heel of your hand (I think that's what it's called) drags on the desk when you use the mouse? That's my sensitive spot.

It depends on which computer I'm using, but generally yes. Hasn't caused me any problems as it has you though. I guess boys are just diff'rent. <g>

>>Today I found a big honkin' MS wireless mouse that is taller than most mice and from playing with it in the store it seems that it might keep my hand-heel off the desk. But I suspect I might have a problem with the angle, since it's so tall.

Might make your wrists hurt instead. Not a tradeoff I'd be willing to make.

>>I know what you mean. Last time my MS mouse got cruddy, I gave it to Mr. E and bought myself a new one. <LOL>

so kind ....

>>Do you ever get cat hair in the optical workings, where the red light is?

Occasionally, but Helen gets it all the time. One of the cats practically lives right next to her on the desk. They don't pay much attention to me when I'm working though.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 10-16-2007, 09:07 AM   #9
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
>Do you find that the heel of your hand (I think that's what it's called) drags on the desk when you use the mouse? That's my sensitive spot.

It depends on which computer I'm using, but generally yes. Hasn't caused me any problems as it has you though. I guess boys are just diff'rent. <g>
I actually tried a wrist rest for my mouse hand and found it gave me cramps. What works best for me is a thin mousemat, and keeping my whole underarm resting on the desk. Also small mice, especially light ones, work better than bigger or heavier models - but that's mostly because I have small hands.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:33 PM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> Also small mice, especially light ones, work better than bigger or heavier models - but that's mostly because I have small hands.

Same here. Having short, stubby fingers is useful, though. I compare my hands to, say, Eric Clapton's or Richard Thompson's and aha, so THAT'S why they can play guitar so much better than I can.

(That, plus talent, practice, devotion, talent, creativity, talent, practice ...)

www.pptools.com
and stuff