DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 10-09-2007, 06:05 PM   #1
George

Default Notepad Alternative

I think this is a neat Notepad alternative --Xint.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/xint.html

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 01:21 AM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

I've used Boxer on my ThinkPad for many years, but at work I have discovered TextPad (which is not free). Not only does it do grep nearly as elegantly as BBEdit on the Mac, but I was able to upgrade the evaluation copy to the paid version myself. Working as I do for a local government council where only the IT people are able to install applications, this is a huge plus.

It is currently saving me nearly half an hour a day for the download files I have to manipulate, and it's pleasant and easy to use. At USD30 (UK pounds 16.50) for a single licence, it's worth much more than its weight in gold to me. But then I use text editors to manipulate large chunks of text on a daily basis and thus have vey specific requirements.

Boxer is a good application, but it's always felt heavy and earnest like DOS to me, whereas TextPad feels almost Mac-like in its lightness and elegance. I'm seriously considering abandoning Boxer and putting TextPad on the Vista laptop I bought a few weeks ago.

Sorry, George, I really didn't intend to hijack your text editor thread.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:21 AM   #3
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
nearly as elegantly as BBEdit on the Mac,
“Elegant” – luxurious, graceful, refined, dignified. Ann, your posting was my first experience with referring to software programs as elegant. Since then I’ve been working on how to develop a concept of software that way. Note the link Kelvyn provides refers to Note Tab Pro as elegant. We could start a thread on this topic, and who knows where it might go, as concepts of elegance can meander.

Well, horses definitely are very elegant. How about a long-legged new born colt?? Are even the colts elegant in their own way??

Quote:
Sorry, George, I really didn't intend to hijack your text editor thread.
And you did not hijack the thread at all, but led it just as I anticipated, which makes everything interesting. I’m glad to be apprised of TextPad, though I may never try it –and then again I might.

George
Old 10-10-2007, 01:06 PM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

I can think of several pieces of software I would describe as elegant, including Safari, the browser of my choice, which makes all other browsers, including the worthy Firefox, look clunky, overdressed, and busy.

Foals rarely look elegant with their over-long, bumpy legs, but I do love them, both colts and fillies.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:56 PM   #5
George

Quote:
I can think of several pieces of software I would describe as elegant...Foals rarely look elegant with their over-long, bumpy legs
OK, I can see I'm going to have to keep working on this.

George
Old 10-10-2007, 02:11 AM   #6
Kelvyn
Staff

For a long time now I have used NoteTab Pro and have found it to be indespensible. It is my most used piece of software after Thunderbird and Firefox and is available in a Freeware version. It works as a direct replacemet for NotePad, but with just so many more features and capabilities.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:39 AM   #7
dthomsen8

Default How big a file?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn View Post
For a long time now I have used NoteTab Pro and have found it to be indespensible. It is my most used piece of software after Thunderbird and Firefox and is available in a Freeware version. It works as a direct replacemet for NotePad, but with just so many more features and capabilities.
Last spring I was trying to work with a really big text file, too big for Metapad, and I found a trial version of a text editor which did work. I don't remember the name, and of course the month expired and I no longer could run it. By really big, I mean a million lines about 150 bytes each, 150Mb. The price was about US$50 at that time.

So, do either of the text editors being mentioned here work on a really big file? I was unable to learn that from any of the links provided here.

Last edited by dthomsen8; 10-10-2007 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Add link
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:27 AM   #8
George

Dave,

I was just looking at free text editors the other day, and from all there is to to review (quite a lot) some did mention large file capacity. Now I can't remember which they were.

George
Old 10-10-2007, 10:59 AM   #9
Barrie Greed

Dave
Quote:
So, do either of the text editors being mentioned here work on a really big file? I was unable to learn that from any of the links provided here.
As long as you don't need larger than 2GB any version of NoteTab, even the free one, will meet your needs.

Barrie Greed
Barrie Greed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:28 AM   #10
dthomsen8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Greed View Post
Dave

As long as you don't need larger than 2GB any version of NoteTab, even the free one, will meet your needs.

Barrie Greed
Oh, my biggest file was about 300 Mb, so that would suit me just fine. I am off to download the free version, which I hope will run with Windows 98 SE.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote