DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 10-09-2007, 03:03 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Big Anthro sale, 35% off

Anthro is having a 35% off birthday sale on many items all through October with weekly specials as well.

I have a 5-year-old computer table from them, and it is still like new after 5 years. It is very configurable and attractive, in a heavy, geeky sort of way. They offer all sorts of accessorites, including a side rack for a CPU tower, a cable garage (and other gadgets for controlling cables and wires), shelves, drawers — almost anything you can think of.

They ship the furniture flat, along with all the tools needed to assemble it. Very elegant, really.

I think I will get a new smaller (30-inch rather than 48-inch) one from the Fit series for my new computer so I can move it around more easily. Then I will set up a table or desk to one side for papers and a writing/reading surface. And I am thinking of a little thing for my laptop as well.

Site didn’t work with Safari, but did all right with Firefox (I think).

Old 10-10-2007, 12:59 AM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

How do they cope with the cable bumps generated by power boards, modems, routers and laptop power cables? These are my biggest headaches.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:12 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
How do they cope with the cable bumps generated by power boards, modems, routers and laptop power cables? These are my biggest headaches.
Dunno. Never occurred to me that there could be anything to help with that stuff. When I call, I’ll try to remember to ask.

I do have the cable garage thing, and it does keep lines untangled and out of the way, but just up to a point.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:25 AM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Dunno. Never occurred to me that there could be anything to help with that stuff. When I call, I’ll try to remember to ask.

I do have the cable garage thing, and it does keep lines untangled and out of the way, but just up to a point.
So what do you do with the rest? Where do your modem and router sit? My MacBook Pro has an elegant but very square power converter that's currently sitting on the desk. And then there are the power converters for the two ThinkPads. And the two power boards all this stuff requires. How do you cope with just the power requirements?

Old 10-11-2007, 06:26 AM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
So what do you do with the rest? Where do your modem and router sit? My MacBook Pro has an elegant but very square power converter that's currently sitting on the desk. And then there are the power converters for the two ThinkPads. And the two power boards all this stuff requires. How do you cope with just the power requirements?
Not sure what you mean by power converters. The “brick” on the laptop is quite small and about two feet from the end of the plug, so it just sits on the floor. In my office, I have four bricks plugged into three power strips against the wall behind my desk.

My router is on top of the G4 tower (which is in a rack to the left of my desk) with the cable modem on top of it, next to my cordless phone recharger.

What will happen when I move to the iMac is still a mystery, as we have had a guest for three days, have had lots of odd chores, and the thing is still in its carton in the dining room. The cleaning service is due in an hour, though, so I think it will make its way into my office shortly. I will let you know.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:25 AM   #6
annc
Sysop

Hmmm, maybe I need to post some photos!

Old 10-10-2007, 08:18 AM   #7
dthomsen8

Default IKEA Computer Desk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
They ship the furniture flat, along with all the tools needed to assemble it. Very elegant, really.
That is just like IKEA, but of course IKEA has the customer pick up the furniture.

I am quite happy with my "L" shaped desk from IKEA. It now has four computers, three of which hang from shelves under the desk. A KVM switch allows me to have just three sets of keyboard, video and mouse with four computers. I am sharing the ink jet (USB) printer among three computers with a switch. I should try to share the parallel port HP LaserJet 4 Plus, since it is much cheaper than an inkjet HP in terms of ink, but of course it is black and white, not color.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:30 PM   #8
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
That is just like IKEA, but of course IKEA has the customer pick up the furniture.
They deliver as well here (for a price - but it beats schlepping the stuff home in a taxi as I once did); my main computer table is from Ikea - rock solid (and heavy )

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 07:28 PM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
They deliver as well here (for a price - but it beats schlepping the stuff home in a taxi as I once did); my main computer table is from Ikea - rock solid (and heavy )
We have an Ikea about 20 minutes from here. Hadn’t thought of them.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:03 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

For all of their many options, none of the tables appear to be adjustable height and they are all too high for me--and no, the FIT adjustable height "tray" doesn't do it for me--but...they make pretty cool stuff...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote