DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 10-07-2007, 02:55 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default New iMac Intel, no glossy screen!

Well, after all this dithering and false possibilities, this afternoon I got one of the earlier 24-inch iMac core duo Intel machines. I had heard they were no longer available but CompUSA had two, one a return, one new, sealed in the box. So I bought the latter, and had the RAM bumped up to 2 GB from 1 (seems 3 is possible but it would call for two 1.5 GB chips that were not available).

So now we shall see. It will take some time to move over from my G4; I am not free for most of tomorrow, then expect a guest for a couple of days. Besides, now I can update to CS3.

Just thought I should end this saga. My feeling is (has always been) that the iMac is a two-year (or three-year) machine, but Apple has dropped the ball from my point of view by not updating the simple tower (the Mac Pro is way overkill). And then they switched the iMacs to mirror-shiny screens, and I really could not stand them.

So when I found this thing, I jumped. I have been muttering about a new machine for 9 months; time to give birth!

Old 10-08-2007, 01:30 AM   #2
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

I'm dead jealous

Old 10-08-2007, 02:34 AM   #3
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

It will be interesting to see how long it lasts for you. My Mac towers have always been just three year machines, apart from the last one that was forced to survive for just over four years. My IBM ThinkPad lasted nearly six but ceased to be a production machine before its three years were up.

My current MacBook Pro is expected to last the same distance as my towers but I already have my doubts, much as I love it. Of course, I could be at fault here because I allowed the conversion program to move all my settings from the tower to it, so that I could start working immediately. That allowed me to start working straight away, but I have serious doubts, for the first time in years, about internal disk space. My fault, of course.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:00 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
It will be interesting to see how long it lasts for you. My Mac towers have always been just three year machines, apart from the last one that was forced to survive for just over four years.
Interesting. If I figured out all the dates, the same might be true for me. I believe there are ways of pushing the G4 a bit on speed, I could replace the CD recorder with a Superdrive (or add one), I could add Firewire, and there are two hard drive bays (now sitting with an 80 and a 120). But I haven’t bothered, I guess, as there are other reasons to move on. That G4 is almost exactly 4 years old.

I cannot remember when I got the older G4, but I think it was around 2000. I replaced it with the newer one because I wanted the Cinema display. It was slow then anyway and probably 3 years old.

The longest lasting Mac was the Mac II, which I bought used, and teased and wheedled it along for something like 5 years. The Quadra 700 did not last long; the 7500 was pretty good, but I doubt it was more than 3 or 4 years.

So guess it is the same for me, but I have nurtured illusions of longer life! <g>

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
My current MacBook Pro is expected to last the same distance as my towers but I already have my doubts, much as I love it. Of course, I could be at fault here because I allowed the conversion program to move all my settings from the tower to it, so that I could start working immediately. That allowed me to start working straight away, but I have serious doubts, for the first time in years, about internal disk space. My fault, of course.
Externals are pretty cheap these days, and useful in general. Not the same, of course, when you are taking the computer from place to place.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:08 PM   #5
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Externals are pretty cheap these days, and useful in general. Not the same, of course, when you are taking the computer from place to place.
Indeed. And I could do a decent clean up of files as well. My photos seem to be taking up a huge amount of disk space, but are basically uncatalogued. And the new version of iPhoto changed all the meaningful folder names to meaningless ones, so cataloguing them is going to be a huge job.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:50 PM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
Indeed. And I could do a decent clean up of files as well. My photos seem to be taking up a huge amount of disk space, but are basically uncatalogued. And the new version of iPhoto changed all the meaningful folder names to meaningless ones, so cataloguing them is going to be a huge job.
Oh, ugh.

I do not let iPhoto collect my photos. Instead I put each set of uploads in a folder labeled by date. I scan them with the preview available in one of the file views, and make a PSD copy of the ones that look interesting, with an intelligible name.

Then I drag those into iPhoto, and it has (so far) always retained my names. Of course, when I look at the new iLife that came with my iMac, they may all go to hell.

But I still have the collection of photos I chose and renamed, and use those in Photoshop.

Every so often, I copy all the original photo files on my drive onto CDs (with a duplicate for safety), then delete the files from the computer. Of course, I suppose all could be lost that way, but I still have the ones I selected to work on, so probably the loss would not be too great. I make CDs for those, too, but separately. And there are at least printable copies in job files as well.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:24 PM   #7
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

I've just bought Management an Acer laptop, and it's got one of those damn glossy screens. I really can't abide all the reflections, but she really loves it and so do the children. Just as well, actually, because I thought this model had a normal screen (oops!)

Brilliant price: £200 for an AMD Turion 2GHz, 120GB HDD, 1GB RAM, DVD DL rewriter, sweet little 14.5" screen, Vista (fingers crossed, see other thread!). Mind you, my all-time favourite was the 12" MacBook which I never got!

Old 10-08-2007, 05:53 PM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Springall View Post
Brilliant price: £200 for an AMD Turion 2GHz, 120GB HDD, 1GB RAM, DVD DL rewriter, sweet little 14.5" screen, Vista (fingers crossed, see other thread!).
The price seems astounding, if I have my exchange rates right. And if your family is happy, so should you be.

Then you ought to be able to suit yourself next time!