DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 08-08-2007, 07:01 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Spiffed-up iMacs announced

Apple has revised the iMac line, dropping the entry-level 17-inch model and adding a 24-inch. They run a bit faster, have more RAM and disk space, and cost a teeny bit less.

All models offer 3 USB 2 ports, 2 FireWire ports (one 400, one 800); an 8X DVD-burning SuperDrive; Gigabit ethernet; built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR and Airport Extreme wireless support (802.11, now the Apple standard); and all have a built-in iSight camera.

The new aluminum and glass construction is very slick, with a slender keyboard (wired or not) and a monitor frame that is flush with the glass. It is also supposed to be more recycleable.

It is possible to build a fairly serious custom computer on the 24-inch model: 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo Extreme chip, 2GB of memory, and a 500GB hard drive ($2,300).

The only drawback that I can see (and that is from an early report from MacWorld magazine so it may not be accurate) is that these machines come only with glossy displays, which makes them somewhat less useful for print work; otherwise the 24-inch would be a good graphic production computer.

Detailed specs and other information in this MacWorld report.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:18 AM   #2
Benwiggy

As ever, with the announcement of a new Mac line-up, I have two opposing thoughts:

1. Mmmmm. Shiny.....

2. Damn. I've no longer got the latest model. My machine is one step closer to becoming unsupported and obsolete.
Benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:04 AM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwiggy View Post
As ever, with the announcement of a new Mac line-up, I have two opposing thoughts:

1. Mmmmm. Shiny.....

2. Damn. I've no longer got the latest model. My machine is one step closer to becoming unsupported and obsolete.
Well, my machine is borderline right now, but I am waiting for Apple to tidy up the line (and the new iMacs seem to be part of that).

I would consider the 24-inch iMac, despite its designed-in short lifespan (I went through that with the Quadra 700), but do not like the idea of a glossy screen.

But we’ll see how things go. At some point, I will get up in the middle of the frustrating 3-plus minute wait for Illustrator to launch, and run out and a new Mac. Would love to wait until there was something I really liked, but …

Old 08-09-2007, 08:31 AM   #4
Cristen Gillespie

Quote:
KT: At some point, I will get up in the middle of the frustrating 3-plus minute wait for Illustrator to launch
I'm not even very far behind this new iMac, but once I have 3 Adobe programs open at the same time, that 4th or 5th starts to cost mightily.

I've tried to gauge what the glossy screen will do to me. Since I correct by the numbers, theoretically I could do an okay job with a B&W monitor. But we're always influenced by what we see, particularly when we've gotten past what is outright impossible, such as navy blue tires<G>. I think I could wind up finding myself disappointed by the printed piece just because it is even more difficult for it to "match" the monitor.

There's still time for me to decide to spend $$$$ more on a Mac Pro, but I'm not terribly happy with that.

Why do these "prosumer" products always seem to give with one hand and take away with the other? <BG>

Old 08-09-2007, 12:14 PM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristen Gillespie View Post
I've tried to gauge what the glossy screen will do to me. Since I correct by the numbers, theoretically I could do an okay job with a B&W monitor. But we're always influenced by what we see, particularly when we've gotten past what is outright impossible, such as navy blue tires<G>.
Well, exactly. If I were doing real work, I would still want a real hard-copy color proof! Monitors are like cheap jewelry — flashy, but lying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristen Gillespie
There's still time for me to decide to spend $$$$ more on a Mac Pro, but I'm not terribly happy with that.
Me, neither. The advantage is that it might last a long time, with upgrades, and I like that. (I got close to a decade with my Mac II, way back when; when everything went at a slower pace.) But the disadvantage is that it is so a la carte to begin with. Last time I tried to cost it out, it approached the stratosphere! And I do need another monitor, as we are shy one right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristen Gillespie
Why do these "prosumer" products always seem to give with one hand and take away with the other? <BG>
To keep us buying?

Old 08-09-2007, 11:46 PM   #6
Mike
Staff

Don't want a glossy screen? No problem. Amazon sell a glossy screen conversion pack that's very cheap and easy to apply.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:12 AM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Don't want a glossy screen? No problem. Amazon sell a glossy screen conversion pack that's very cheap and easy to apply.
Cute.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:41 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Mike...you are soooo bad...ROFL!!!

Terrie
terrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:22 AM   #9
Cristen Gillespie

Quote:
KT: (I got close to a decade with my Mac II, way back when; when everything went at a slower pace.)
I've begun to distrust the idea that if I spend twice as much on a tower, it will last twice as long. I can see how some people really need the tower. They need RAID, they need a lot more RAM, they need the best video card money can buy, etc. But they'll be looking to replace in 3 years, too. Or at least that's what I read on various forums.

I'll wait for reviews, but if the iMac serves well enough now, I'll likely not spend the extra on the Mac Pro. The monitor is worriseom, but the Mac Pro is not a little extra, at least not when I first compared the Intel iMac to the Mac Pro. That was why I decided the iMac has been good enough for me thus far and I could probably continue to live without the latest and greatest.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:24 AM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristen Gillespie View Post
I've begun to distrust the idea that if I spend twice as much on a tower, it will last twice as long. I can see how some people really need the tower. They need RAID, they need a lot more RAM, they need the best video card money can buy, etc. But they'll be looking to replace in 3 years, too. Or at least that's what I read on various forums.
So if we can hold out that long, maybe we can pick up a nice loaded one for a bargain! (Yeah, right.)

Quote:
I'll wait for reviews, but if the iMac serves well enough now, I'll likely not spend the extra on the Mac Pro. The monitor is worriseom, but the Mac Pro is not a little extra …
I feel much the same way, but fear the display will discourage me.

There is another approach, one Ann took: buy a laptop and a big monitor. She bought the 17-inch, because she sometimes needs to use it as a portable. But I was thinking the 15-inch would do fine. Sort of wrong-headed, of course — but it is a workaround that might be affordable.

Last edited by annc; 08-11-2007 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Fixed quote.
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote