DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 08-05-2007, 03:18 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default InDesign and can't select text...

I hope I can explain this clearly...

Using ID3.01 and I had an existing document that was 2 pages long that I was modifying to get down to 1 page. Everything was working just fine until I deleted the 2nd page and then I discovered that the mouse would no longer select--I'm not sure that deleting that 2nd page has anything to do with the problem but that's the last "major" sort of mod I'd done when I discovered the problem...

With the document open and the Select tool active, I double-clicked in the document, the tool changes to the Type tool and the cursor is sitting at the bottom of the page--just to the left of the end of document marker and I can't get the cursor to move using the mouse--I can move it using the arrow keys--and trying to use the mouse to select a block of text is not working either...

It's really weird and I can't figure out what I've done to cause the problem...

Fortunately I had another saved modified copy and I just used that one and have no problems with the mouse/cursor use...

Suggestions???

Thanks!

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 05:19 PM   #2
bmann

I've never had a problem like this before. I'd be interested in inspecting the file if you can email it to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
I hope I can explain this clearly...

Using ID3.01 and I had an existing document that was 2 pages long that I was modifying to get down to 1 page. Everything was working just fine until I deleted the 2nd page and then I discovered that the mouse would no longer select--I'm not sure that deleting that 2nd page has anything to do with the problem but that's the last "major" sort of mod I'd done when I discovered the problem...

With the document open and the Select tool active, I double-clicked in the document, the tool changes to the Type tool and the cursor is sitting at the bottom of the page--just to the left of the end of document marker and I can't get the cursor to move using the mouse--I can move it using the arrow keys--and trying to use the mouse to select a block of text is not working either...

It's really weird and I can't figure out what I've done to cause the problem...

Fortunately I had another saved modified copy and I just used that one and have no problems with the mouse/cursor use...

Suggestions???

Thanks!

Terrie
bmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:25 AM   #3
terrie
Staff

Quote:
bmann: I've never had a problem like this before.
Oh good...it is something weird rather than some obvious piece of knowledge that I lack...'-}}

>>I'd be interested in inspecting the file if you can email it to me?

You bet but I need an email addy...

Terrie
Old 08-13-2007, 05:13 PM   #4
bmann

Quote:
Oh good...it is something weird rather than some obvious piece of knowledge that I lack...'-}}

>>I'd be interested in inspecting the file if you can email it to me?

You bet but I need an email addy...

Terrie
bmann_id at the good ol' yahoo dot com
Old 08-14-2007, 03:42 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
bmann: bmann_id at
Cool...I'll get it out to you tomorrow--I"m just getting ready to go out the door...

Thanks!

Terrie
Old 08-15-2007, 02:10 PM   #6
bmann

Quote:
Cool...I'll get it out to you tomorrow--I"m just getting ready to go out the door...

Thanks!

Terrie
Hi Terrie, thanks for the file. What I noticed is that you have an empty text box on top of the text box you are trying to get into. Use the selection tool to select and move it or delete it.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:13 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
bmann: Hi Terrie, thanks for the file.
Glad you got the file! Thanks so much for taking a look at it...

>>What I noticed is that you have an empty text box on top of the text box you are trying to get into. Use the selection tool to select and move it or delete it

How totally weird! I wonder how I did that...let me go look and see if I can "see" this box...

That was it!!! Thank you so much!

I don't know how I did that...

Terrie
Old 08-12-2007, 11:23 PM   #8
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

What happens if you use the Select tool and resize the text box? Can you select the text afterwards?

Old 08-13-2007, 11:30 AM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
ann: What happens if you use the Select tool and resize the text box? Can you select the text afterwards?
I can resize the text box using the Select tool but after resizing, I still can't select text...

Terrie
Old 08-14-2007, 12:14 AM   #10
DTP Guy

Hi Terrie

I'm wondering if this has something to do with an anomaly I noticed when using CS3 yesterday.

I was designing a cover page for a report and I tried using a technique I have always used - that of selecting a headline and using the up and down keys in the font size box to increase/decrease the size. My Mac stubbornly refused to do that and beeped at me. I could select the pre-selected sixes, but not do it interactively.

I shut down ID and tried again and it was fine after that.