DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 08-01-2007, 08:43 PM   #1
marlene
Staff

Default Lotus Notes conversion?

A friend has been using Lotus Notes at work and is leaving her job at the end of the week (which I just found out now). She needs to take her Lotus Notes files, but doesn't have Lotus Notes at home and doesn't know if she'll have it at her next job.

What's the easiest (and cheapest, if it requires buying conversion software) way for her to convert her Lotus Notes files to a format she can open in Microsoft applications.

FWIW, I know absolutely nothing about Lotus Notes, but Mr. Excitement says he thinks the files can be exported in other formats.

TIA,

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 03:14 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Not sure this will help but can't she just cut/paste the info into a series of emails and mail them to her personal email address and/or just forward them to herself without having to cut/paste???

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 03:20 PM   #3
marlene
Staff

Dunno. I have never even seen Lotus Notes and am not entirely sure what it does, but I think my friend is talking about the database part of it, not the e-mail (she has already forwarded the e-mails to her home e-mail address).

However, I remembered that my sister-in-law works for IBM, so I got in touch with her this morning and got many suggestions.

mxh
Old 08-03-2007, 12:37 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
marlene: Dunno. I have never even seen Lotus Notes and am not entirely sure what it does,
It's been too long since I've seen it--used it at my last job--but it handles email and other stuff and my gut says that there aren't any converters out there (or they'd be really, really, really expensive) but it's certainly worth touching based with your s-i-l to see what she might know...

I'm curious about what you find out so post back...

By the way...I'm just getting ready to post about an article I found on getting the best deal from Dell and their kiosks and I'll probably use something like "Getting the best of Dell" or something like that for a thread title...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 01:11 AM   #5
marlene
Staff

My SIL sent me a boatload of info, but she said all of it was from the Lotus help files.

mxh
Old 08-04-2007, 08:52 AM   #6
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Google may be your friend? <g>

Do a Google on your subject here -- Lotus Notes conversions -- and you'll get plenty of hits including:

Quote:
ABC Amber Lotus Notes Converter is intended to help you keep your important emails, newsletters, other important messages organized in one file. It is a useful tool that converts your emails from Lotus Notes to any document format (PDF, DOC, HTML, CHM, RTF, HLP, TXT, DBF, CSV, XML, MDB, etc.) easily and quickly.

It generates the contents with bookmarks (in PDF, DOC, RTF and HTML), maintains hyperlinks.

All you have to do is select required messages, choose document the format to convert to and click "Save As" button. Currently our software supports more than 50 languages.
Not that expensive -- like $20.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote