DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 07-18-2007, 11:36 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Apple displays on Win systems

I knew I could find some statement of this from Apple, and thanks to Howard Allen on Snarkish for pointing it out. See the attached.

In the same discussion, Jim Nichol pointed out that a 23-inch would work so long as the PC graphics card supports DVI with DDC technology for widescreen viewing. But a 30-inch requires two DVI connections.

One cool thing is that the USB2 and Firewire ports on the monitor do work with PC installations. There is more information at this Apple page and on the tech specs page. (It does not appear that Apple is really pushing for Windows business — the compatibility information is dribbled out in little spurts all over the site!)

Appears to be easy enough to do after all. Do you have a laptop with the appropriate video card so you could go to an Apple store and ask to hook up to one of the displays?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	apple-pc.png
Views:	82
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	991  

Old 07-18-2007, 12:05 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

This appears a lot more straightforward than I remember reading when the Cinema Displays first came out...

The pertinent question though is, is it worth the extra $$$ to buy a Cinema Display when there are a number of other LCD displays available that meet/exceed the Apple display specs.

Additionally, I've read enough posts on Apple's Colorsync Users list to question the quality of the Apple displays--not a huge number of posts about problem displays but enough to set off a warning bell for me...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:16 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
This appears a lot more straightforward than I remember reading when the Cinema Displays first came out...

The pertinent question though is, is it worth the extra $$$ to buy a Cinema Display when there are a number of other LCD displays available that meet/exceed the Apple display specs.

Additionally, I've read enough posts on Apple's Colorsync Users list to question the quality of the Apple displays--not a huge number of posts about problem displays but enough to set off a warning bell for me...
I see bitching about almost every brand of LCD monitor. On the other hand, I have absolutely no complaints about mine, which will be four years old in October.

As for the price, I was also surprised to see how they have come down. I paid something like $1200 for my 23-inch display. Now it costs $900.

Anyway, I don’t know how quality and price compare, and don’t know if Marlene should mess around with platform issues (I think she likes to keep things simple, as do I). But it was surprising to see that it can be done without a lot of folderol, if the Apple information is accurate.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:20 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
kt: I see bitching about almost every brand of LCD monitor. On the other hand, I have absolutely no complaints about mine, which will be four years old in October.
It's the newer ones that I've seen the complaints about and if I'm remembering correctly, the problems were very visible right out of the box...I was sort of surprised because I've always heard good things about the quality of Apple hardware.

>>As for the price, I was also surprised to see how they have come down. I paid something like $1200 for my 23-inch display. Now it costs $900.

Yeah...prices have come down a lot...

Terrie
Old 07-18-2007, 01:32 PM   #5
marlene
Staff

Quote:
I'm trying to balance specs/quality/features/reliability/cost/et al. I've read enough negative things about the 24" Dell to make me back away from them, so I'm pretty much back to square one.

I would still consider the Apple if I couldn't find anything comparable.

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:48 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
marlene: I'm trying to balance specs/quality/features/reliability/cost/et al. I've read enough negative things about the 24" Dell to make me back away from them, so I'm pretty much back to square one.
The one that MaximumPC recommends is the Dell 2707WFP model...have you found reviews on that one?

Keep me posted on what you end up with...

I just found my notes on the NEC LCDs I was looking at:

21" (which may be too small for you):

LCD2190Uxi
LCD2190UXp

I don't remember the specs but I'm pretty sure they are part of NEC's professional/graphics line and if I'm remembering correctly, they were decently priced--$700-$900-ish maybe???

Terrie
Old 07-18-2007, 07:07 PM   #7
marlene
Staff

Quote:
Dell 2707WFP
I'm thinking that 27" might be larger than I want, but I wouldn't absolutely rule it out at this point. The Dell kiosk didn't have one in that size, unfortunately.

The 30" model was a behemoth, though. I have a feeling if I bought that one, I'd never get out of my office. When I wasn't working or surfing the net, I'd be watching DVDs. But there's no room in my office for a recliner. <g>

I did look at the NECs online, but the 21" models are definitely too small. Not enough of a step up from what I'm using now.

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:13 AM   #8
terrie
Staff

Quote:
marlene: I have a feeling if I bought that one, I'd never get out of my office. When I wasn't working or surfing the net, I'd be watching DVDs. But there's no room in my office for a recliner. <g>
ROFL!!!

>>I did look at the NECs online, but the 21" models are definitely too small. Not enough of a step up from what I'm using now.

Yeah...I figured but the 21" were affordable for me (at least as the time) and I hadn't had a chance to check on the larger NEC professional/graphic users ones...

Terrie
Old 07-21-2007, 10:41 PM   #9
curveto

Location: some room with white padded walls ... now surrounded by Saguaro Cacti

There's this:

http://www.macconnection.com/ProductDetail?Sku=7661901

If your standards are less stringent I think you'll find the Apple panels to be very nice (if priced at the top of their competitive range).

JR
curveto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:29 PM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> Do you have a laptop with the appropriate video card so you could go to an Apple store and ask to hook up to one of the displays?

There may be PC laptops with DVI video out but I don't recall ever having seen one. Sure as heck I've not seen one with two. Why two, I wonder? Unless the thing's really two monitors spliced together into a single case? [Steve, read the link]. Uh. Right.

Ah. NOT dual DVI connectors but *a* Dual Link DVI connector.
http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote