DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Old 07-03-2007, 05:49 PM   #1
marlene
Staff

Default What's the easiest way to create web pages?

Okay, so I shouldn't have volunteered to set up a web site but nobody else would do it.

What's the absolute easiest, quickest way to set up a very simple web site? Just some text, a graphic or two, probably a plain pale colored background so it's printable. Probably no more than 3 pages. No flash, no cascading style sheets, no blogging, no sound files, nothin' fancy. Just the facts, ma'am.

I set up my own web sites years ago by manually doing the HTML in Notepad (with my O'Reilly's HTML guide at my side), but I'm hoping there's an easier way.

What I've got:

Word 2000
Quark 7
Indesign CS2

and Dreamweaver MX, which I have never used.

What's my best bet for speed, ease of use, etc.? I don't know anything about Dreamweaver (I just got it as part of a Macromedia suite and it's been installed for several years without getting any action whatsoever), so I don't know how steep the learning curve is.

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 06:01 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene View Post
What's the absolute easiest, quickest way to set up a very simple web site? Just some text, a graphic or two, probably a plain pale colored background so it's printable. Probably no more than 3 pages. No flash, no cascading style sheets, no blogging, no sound files, nothin' fancy. Just the facts, ma'am.
Do you have a domain?

In any event, look at WordPress. You can have a free site, with few options and few difficulties. Or download it and install it on a site of your own, find a theme (of thousands) that appeal to you, and go at it.

Posting material is much like writing a message here.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:46 PM   #3
marlene
Staff

Yep, I've got two domains. I looked at WordPress, but the installation procedure made my head swim!

mxh
Old 07-03-2007, 09:45 PM   #4
iamback

Quote:
What's my best bet for speed, ease of use, etc.? I don't know anything about Dreamweaver (I just got it as part of a Macromedia suite and it's been installed for several years without getting any action whatsoever), so I don't know how steep the learning curve is.
In general, your best bet is a CMS-type (or Blog-type) thing that's simple to use. No HTML to write, just some CSS to style to your liking.

Apart from WordPress (example of the blog approach) you may also want to have a look at Wikka Wiki (example of the CMS approach). Yes, that's wiki software. But it doesn't have to be a wiki - you can completely lock it down and even make it so it doesn't look or even behave like a wiki at all, so it becomes what we call an "invisible wiki", just an easy way to set up and maintain a web site.

Don't forget to have a poke around OpenSourceCMS where you can look at, compare, and try out a large number of CMS-type software (including Wikka Wiki, of course).

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:49 PM   #5
marlene
Staff

I looked at Wikka Wiki, but I am beginning to fear that I am too stupid to use any of these programs. They all look too technical and complicated.

I need a program written for idiots.

mxh
Old 07-04-2007, 03:08 AM   #6
iamback

Quote:
I looked at Wikka Wiki, but I am beginning to fear that I am too stupid to use any of these programs. They all look too technical and complicated.

How does it look technical? Did you try the demo?

If there's a problem I'd like to know what it is that can't get you started!

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:06 AM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:

I think you would find that the installation, setup, and customization are the most techie aspect, and you might be able to pay someone to do that for you. Some wikis (but not Wikka Wika, unfortunately) and blogs (including WordPress) can be installed by Fantastico if your host runs cPanel as the control panel.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:40 AM   #8
CarlSeiler

Quote:
Okay, so I shouldn't have volunteered to set up a web site but nobody else would do it.
Have you looked into Nvu? It works pretty much like a word processor and generates almost perfect HTML 4.01 Transitional. Just type up your pages, and upload them. It's got a built-in file transfer, but if you want, you can use your host's FTP interface or an outside thing like FileZilla. You can easily flip back and forth between the different views to tweak your HTML if you so desire. With Nvu, there's nothing to install on the host, so if that's what's scaring you, it might be an option.

Carl
CarlSeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 01:38 PM   #9
roaryg

Quark 7 can do simple web pages pretty easily. Just select web layout instead of print layout (under the file menu choose "new project", and then pick web). We used it once to do a quick page, and it was ok.

Old 07-04-2007, 01:44 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

Marlene...why not just copy/paste an existing page and mod what needs to be mod'd???

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote