DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Images

Old 03-30-2007, 08:50 AM   #1
Bill Murmann

Default Photos in PowerPoint?

I need some advice about photo resolution in PowerPoint presentations.

I've got PowerPoint 2003 on my computer, but have never used it. I've been told that it's easy to use, etc. so I'm starting the dreaded "learning curve."

One thing I'm wondering about is resolution requirements for PowerPoint photos. Can I use images that have been captured off the screen with "save as" clicks? Will these images work OK in PowerPoint presentations using a projector for a large audience?

Or do I need to download larger images with higher resolution that perhaps are 2 or 3 megs in size?

Most of my experience with photo resolution has been with print publications--the higher the resolution, the better the photo for cropping purposes, etc.

I'm in new territory with PowerPoint, however. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

--Bill

P.S. I'm glad to be posting in the forum again. I was active when it was part of the old CompuServe system. Since then, I've become semi-retired--basically just working part-time from my home office to take care of a few long-time customers. I still need good advice, though!
Bill Murmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:23 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murmann View Post
P.S. I'm glad to be posting in the forum again. I was active when it was part of the old CompuServe system. Since then, I've become semi-retired--basically just working part-time from my home office to take care of a few long-time customers. I still need good advice, though!
Bill —

Nice to see you popping up from time to time.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:57 AM   #3
Bill Murmann

Thanks, Kathleen! Nice to be back.

--Bill
Old 03-30-2007, 11:42 AM   #4
dthomsen8

Default PowerPoint Projection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murmann View Post
Since then, I've become semi-retired--basically just working part-time from my home office to take care of a few long-time customers. I still need good advice, though!
Welcome back. We all need colleagues, and some of us find them on the web.

I know just enough to ask a question about your PowerPoint inquiry. Are you creating a PP presentation to be projected, or just to be read on other computers? Even with projection, I suspect that a lot of reasonable sized photos from the web will be OK. Do you have a projector to try it?
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:38 PM   #5
Bill Murmann

This PowerPoint presentation would be projected. I don't have my own projector and would be using someone else's equipment.

I'm afraid I'm new to this, so I have some things to learn--or lots of things to learn...<s>

--Bill
Old 03-30-2007, 05:14 PM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Assuming you mean to project your PPT presentations, here's the thing: regardless of the screen size, you're only projecting the maximum number of pixels your projector supports. Generally that means 1024x768, so that, or a wee bit larger, is all you really need for a picture that'll run full-screen in PPT. Images that'll occupy less of the screen can be proportionally smaller.

If you need to import wads of images, have a look here:

BATCH IMPORT images into PowerPoint
http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00050.htm

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:06 PM   #7
Bill Murmann

Thanks, Steve! The 1024x768 figure gives me something to go on.

This is what I'm hoping to do. I'm a member of a local astronomy club that puts on public educational programs for two county metropolitan park systems.

I've been asked to give an hour-long PowerPoint program in November on the Moon. I know the subject and have several sources for digital Moon photos--including NASA photos that are available online.

I recently purchased a new HP "Media Center" computer that can burn CDs and DVDs. I have PowerPoint as part of MS Office 2003. I also have Paint Shop Pro XI on my system.

I think I have all the tools I need--but now I have to learn how to use them. I want to do a good job, so I'm starting now on the project to give myself plenty of time to go through all the learning-curve stuff.

I'll be using the park system's laptop and projector to make the presentation. Hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew...<s>

--Bill
Old 03-31-2007, 12:52 PM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Take a deep breath. Relax. It'll be fine. ;-)

I use an older version of PaintShop Pro (like 5 versions older) and it does pretty much anything I need done with PPT, though I like IrfanView (www.irfanview.com) better for batch operations.

My best advice:

- You're the "hero" ... the presenter. Make sure the PPT show supports you rather than distracting the audience's attention. Let PPT show the photos (plenty interesting, I'd think) and skip the animations, boops, bells, whistles and such.

- If you run into problems, ask here or on the PowerPoint newsgroup (there's a link to it on the www.pptfaq.com site I pointed you to earlier). I check that group at least once a day. Mention that you were referred by DTP Forum and get two free answers for the price of one free one. <g>

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 04:03 PM   #9
Michael Rowley

Steve:

Quote:
Make sure the PPT show supports you rather than distracting the audience's attention.
Your advice (not surprisingly) is the same as would have been given in the days when 35-mm slides were all the rage—and before that, but I don't want to seem ancient.

Old 03-31-2007, 05:38 PM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley View Post
but I don't want to seem ancient.
I suspect you would find it difficult to feel truly ancient around here.

Steve is still a kid, of course. But there are plenty of old bodies around! <g>