DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 03-15-2007, 05:31 AM   #1
dthomsen8

Default KVM Switch Problem

I am having trouble with my Belkin KVM switch. It doesn't work with a different Win98 computer. It doesn't let me switch from the WinXP to the Win 98 machine. A KVM switch is a device to let me use two different computers with the same Keyboard, Video, and Mouse.

I would gladly buy a different KVM switch, the two computer ones are not expensive, but I don't know why this one works with my WinXP Pro and the old Win98 computer, and not with a different Win98 computer. I might well have the same problem with a new KVM switch.

Please don't razz me about using such an obsolete computer and operating system. I do have valid reasons for it involving legacy applications.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:58 AM   #2
Daudio

I use a USB KVM Switch to share periphials between a Win 98 PC and a OS9 Mac

The KVM is based on a simple physical switch, rather then IC circuitry. Do you know which type yours is ?

I sometimes have a problem losing some of the keys on the left side of the keyboard when one of the contacts gets dirty.

DaveAyers.com, Brass Backshop Forum
Daudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:52 AM   #3
dthomsen8

Default Physical Switch for KVM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daudio View Post
I use a USB KVM Switch to share periphials between a Win 98 PC and a OS9 Mac

The KVM is based on a simple physical switch, rather then IC circuitry. Do you know which type yours is?
My KVM Switch is a small device with permanently attached cables which go to each computer and to the keyboard, video and mouse. The switch is done with key commands on the keyboard. That is what doesn't work. The instructions are to press "Scroll Lock" twice, and then the up or down arrows, which normally switches between the two computers. Either one comes up on the LCD monitor. The WinXP computer comes up on it as always, but I can't switch to the Win98 computer, or even just boot to the Win98 computer with them both off to start.

Whatever the problem with my Belkin KVM, your mention of a physical switch tells me that might be the solution.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:03 AM   #4
LoisWakeman
Staff

David: as hinted, it's far more likely that this is a hardware problem. (You can tell my swapping the two sets of cables.)

KVMs are notoriously unreliable, and tend to fail much quicker than the computer they are attached to! We have a pile of old ones in the corner; the one I use now has 4 ports of which only 2 stiill work: fortunately, I only have 2 machines in use!
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:57 AM   #5
dthomsen8

Default Swapping Cables Did It

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisWakeman View Post
David: as hinted, it's far more likely that this is a hardware problem. (You can tell by swapping the two sets of cables.)
Swapping cables, an idea put forth by Belkin technical support, did the trick before I read your message here.