DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 03-13-2007, 07:51 AM   #1
LoisWakeman
Staff

Default Recommendations for a simple CMS?

OK, I've wrestled Joomla! to the ground for an e-commerce site, but I want something a bit less taxing (both for me and the client) for a simple static site for a holiday cottage. Any recommendations for something that is simple to set up but of course accessible and standards compliant?

(Now Contribute is so expensive, it's hard to sell to cheapskate clients, though still the best from my POV)

Here is one I found:

http://www.impliedbydesign.com/micro...ement-demo.php

- or would it be just as easy to use Joomla with everything except the static pages turned off? (Navigation isn't auto-created that way of course.)
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:57 AM   #2
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

I'm trying it with WordPress. Still trying to find and nuke all time and date stamps, but have at least made them invisible.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:12 AM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisWakeman View Post
OK, I've wrestled Joomla! to the ground for an e-commerce site, but I want something a bit less taxing (both for me and the client) for a simple static site for a holiday cottage. Any recommendations for something that is simple to set up but of course accessible and standards compliant?
Although I have been allowing my inchoate site to sit untended recently, I use WordPress, and managed to make it more CMS-like by modifying the templates and CSS.

It is compliant, has thousands of users, excellent documentation and lively user forums, and is really quite a treat compared to many online systems.

If you want to look at what I have started to do on one site (one article, and an about page), the URL is usingtype / utwp / — not much, but if you look at a stock WordPress page you can see what I have eliminated.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:27 AM   #4
LoisWakeman
Staff

Thanks: Wordpress was one I'd noted for later if I got stuck. Your proto-site looks nice: but hard to gauge how it works with so little content. Do new pages get auto-added to a navigation list somewhere, and can you say which ones you want to appear on the home page for instance?
Old 03-13-2007, 11:55 AM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisWakeman View Post
Thanks: Wordpress was one I'd noted for later if I got stuck. Your proto-site looks nice: but hard to gauge how it works with so little content. Do new pages get auto-added to a navigation list somewhere, and can you say which ones you want to appear on the home page for instance?
Some of those details depend on (or are made much easier) depending on what theme you use. The one I use, blog.txt by Scott Wallick, makes it fairly easy. I intend to check out his Sandbox as well, as it has been designed for easy customization.

It is easy to have articles listed in the sidebar, either one by one or by category. There is also a way, not quite as straightforward, to create an index page; I figured it out but never implemented it, so would need to figure it out again <g>.

If you have worked with Joomla, this is probably unnecessary, but I found the hardest part was getting into the WordPress mindset. Then a lot of things fell into place.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:39 PM   #6
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

KT has been digging into WP deeper than I have, but you can take a look at the playing I've done so far: elysechapman dot com

I have a bunch more portfolio pages to put up and want to reorganize what's there (after living with it a while now), but you can see the links as they've been automatically created for each new page as I've made them.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:48 AM   #7
LoisWakeman
Staff

Thanks Elyse: it looks promising; definitely something to consider if I can find the time to learn another new system.

Your site looks great, BTW: but I did spot one typo on the home page (Dave Arkle is a versitile...)
Old 03-13-2007, 01:09 PM   #8
Kelvyn
Staff

Lois, does the client need to create new pages? If so then Joomla! or a hacked install of Wordpress would be a good way to to. In either case it is the templating which is important. Wordpress template structure has just changed and Joomla's will change with release of the next full version.

If no new pages are necessary then have a look at SnippetMaster. I have installed this on about 25 sites now and client acceptability is very high! It is ideal for accommodation providers as it enables them to edit a news page, tariffs & offers, change photos etc. very quickly.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:36 PM   #9
dthomsen8

Default SnippetMaster is very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn View Post
If no new pages are necessary then have a look at SnippetMaster. ...
I tried out SnippetMaster last year, and found it very easy, with good support, once I was over the initial learning curve difficulties. I have not implemented it with the expected client for it, though. I did try it out working as a client as well as the administrator, and it worked fine.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:17 AM   #10
LoisWakeman
Staff

Hi Kelvyn, SnippetMaster was one of the options I had considered: but they may need to add new pages. I told them that they'd have to pay for my time - but the jury is out on that one!

You confirmed my ideas in general though; I suspect Joomla! is OTT for a simple brochure site in template development time, but I'd need to get to grips with WordPress so that would take longer too. So many things to learn, and so little time....