DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 03-01-2007, 12:36 PM   #1
Michael Rowley

Default Help! Where do you put Word's switches

I've used Word's start up switch that opens Word at the file where I was last working for years: it's simply Winword.exe /mFile1. But where do you put it? I've just upgraded Word, and can't remember where the switch goes.

Please help an aged colleague with a very bad memory!

Old 03-01-2007, 12:53 PM   #2
gary

You need to create a "shortcut" with the switch appended to the command line.

Right-click desktop, select new shortcut, enter "winword.exe /mFile1", click OK, describe ("resume Word").
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 02:50 PM   #3
Michael Rowley

Gary:

Quote:
You need to create a "shortcut" with the switch appended to the command line
Yes (and thanks), but that doesn't work, although 'Run' recognizes the command Winword.exe /mFile1 and carries it out. If I try to add anything to C:\ . . .\Winword.exe, Windows just tell me there's no such file.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:55 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

I don't really have a clue but my best guess is that if you create a shortcut (on the desktop?), you'd add the switch in the "Target" area on the Shortcut tab...

For example, I have an Explorer shortcut on my desktop and the "Target" entry is:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n,/e, /select, c:\

which sets Explorer to open with all my drives listed and the highlight set on my C: drive

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 02:55 PM   #5
Michael Rowley

Terrie:

Quote:
For example, I have an Explorer shortcut on my desktop and the "Target" entry is:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n,/e, /select, c:\
That appears to be just what I do; but see my reply to Gary. I thought it might be Word 12 that doesn't recognize the switch (it doesn't recognize a lot of things!), but it clearly isn't.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:38 PM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

This as the target of the shortcut works here:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\WINWORD.EXE" /mFile1

(Substitute the full path to Winword.exe on your computer, of course)

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 05:34 AM   #7
Michael Rowley

Steve:

Quote:
This as the target of the shortcut works here:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\WINWORD.EXE" /mFile1
Ah! Here too: I was trying to include the switch between the quotation marks before. Thanks.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:43 PM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

And thank you for mentioning this. I didn't know about the /mFile1 switch. Neat trick. I wonder if it works for ...

Steve, don't wonder, try it ...

Yes. It does ... apparently you can invoke any file on the most recently used list by changing the number:

/mFile4 will open the fourth file on the list, for example.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 03-02-2007, 05:29 PM   #9
Michael Rowley

Steve:

Quote:
I didn't know about the /mFile1 switch
Possibly because you didn't read Microsoft's previously excellent handbooks, which it used to supply with Word (until some clever Microsoft employee realized that Microsoft Press could sell them profitably). The switch is useful, because if the file opened proves to be the wrong one (because, for instance you were working with several files, or, perhaps, were drunk at the time), it spares you from that dreadful blank 'Document1'.

Yes, of course it works with File4, but who would remember which file that was? (Hmm: possibly someone that knows whether things go outside or inside quotes.)

Old 03-03-2007, 11:20 AM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley View Post
Steve:

Possibly because you didn't read Microsoft's previously excellent handbooks, which it used to supply with Word (until some clever Microsoft employee realized that Microsoft Press could sell them profitably). The switch is useful, because if the file opened proves to be the wrong one (because, for instance you were working with several files, or, perhaps, were drunk at the time), it spares you from that dreadful blank 'Document1'.

Yes, of course it works with File4, but who would remember which file that was? (Hmm: possibly someone that knows whether things go outside or inside quotes.)
I *did* read the handbook for the first version of Word I used. And it was indeed quite good. But it was also a very long time ago (it ran under DOS on a 286, whatever version that would have been).

I learned to use it for what now seems the most improbable of reasons ... it had, for its day, excellent support for PostScript printers, something that none of the other word processors offered, to my knowledge. I had an Apple LaserWriter at the time; getting it to work with PC software was a mystical art. When I finally gave it away, there were still splatterings of black candle wax and bits of chicken feather stuck to the serial interface.

Nowadays, I suspect MS doesn't ship Office versions until something to do with PS support has been broken or botched.

And quotes? Simple enough rule:

If a path\filename has spaces in it, put quotes around the whole thing. Or put quotes around ALL path\filenames. It won't hurt.

www.pptools.com
and stuff