DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 02-07-2007, 12:12 AM   #1
mohitgarg

Default Printing a booklet

So I am printing this booklet (The one that is inside a DVD case) and I created a document with 20 pages. So each page of this booklet is less than half of A4. Now how do I print this document so that I can print on both sides of paper and when I take these papers (A4) and fold them it is a book. You should be able to fit 2 pages of booklet size on an A4. I am a Novice using InDesign so I don't know how to do this. So I should be able to print it on to 5 pages double sided and the fold them to have a thickness of 10 pages

Last edited by mohitgarg; 02-07-2007 at 12:31 AM.
mohitgarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 05:49 AM   #2
LoisWakeman
Staff

I don't know InDesign - but what you are looking to do is called "imposition" - so try looking in the help for that.

Some programs allow you to select a printing style (e.g tentfold or booklet) and do it for you.
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:03 AM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohitgarg View Post
I created a document with 20 pages. So each page of this booklet is less than half of A4. Now how do I print this document so that I can print on both sides of paper and when I take these papers (A4) and fold them it is a book. You should be able to fit 2 pages of booklet size on an A4. I am a Novice using InDesign
First, some terminology so you can discuss this (and read about the process):

You have created your booklet in “reader spreads” and you need it to be in “printer spreads” for printing. As Lois said, this process is called “imposition.”

“Creep” is compensation for the thickness of the sheets of paper when folded into a booklet. (You will need to make the content of your pages slightly narrower than the sheet size to allow for creep.)

We always used to leave this process to the (commercial) printer. Nowadays, though, people want to do it on their own desktop printers.

For InDesign, you can buy the InBooklet plug-in, which costs $100 U.S. If you plan to do this work on a regular basis, probably worth it. You can read about it on ID Help > Printing > Creating printer spreads using InBooklet.

If this is a one-shot deal, you can do it the hard (very hard, somewhat frustrating) way. Once you have the booklet perfect, all proofread and corrected, make a copy, and in the copy rearrange the pages so they will print correctly. (Best to make a dummy first so you can keep track of what you are doing.) Leave a decent margin at the center line and a wide one on the outsides; after you assemble the booklets, you can trim the sheets so the edges align perfectly. And you should be able to get a deep-throated stapler at the office supply so you can saddle-stitch.

Be sure to leave the original untouched, in case you must change something later. Trying to make edits on the imposed copy will make you sublimely crazy!

Old 02-07-2007, 09:12 AM   #4
Dave Saunders

If you're using InDesign CS2, it has InBooklet SE built-in (on the File menu). It should do all you need. There are also scriting solutions available.

Dave
Dave Saunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:00 AM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Saunders View Post
If you're using InDesign CS2, it has InBooklet SE built-in (on the File menu). It should do all you need.
Oops, nice! And I missed that. Thanks, Dave.

And of course there would be scripting options! Custom? or off-the-shelf?

Old 02-07-2007, 01:52 PM   #6
roaryg

If you feel like doing it manually, export your file as pdf from Indesign. Then make another indesign file the size of your spread (ie. make each page the size of two pages side by side). Then place your pdf pages side by side in the following order (ie the 2 pages side by side in your new file): page one will have pages 1 and 20, page 2 will have pages 19 and 2, and so on with 3-18, 17-4, 5-16, 15-6, 7-14, 13-8, 9-12, and 11-10 (hope I got all that right!). Then you can print to your laser as duplex or manually feed them in so they back up.

Last edited by roaryg; 02-07-2007 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Change page order.
roaryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:53 PM   #7
roaryg

Sorry, got the page order wrong, make it pages 20 (on the left) and page 1 (on the right) on your first page, then 2-19, 18-3, etc.
roaryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:16 PM   #8
curveto

Location: some room with white padded walls ... now surrounded by Saguaro Cacti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Saunders View Post
If you're using InDesign CS2, it has InBooklet SE built-in (on the File menu). It should do all you need. There are also scriting solutions available.

Dave
Did they ever extend it to allow for group counts (num pages per sig) != 4?

Just curious,
JR
curveto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 05:08 PM   #9
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
We always used to leave this process to the (commercial) printer. Nowadays, though, people want to do it on their own desktop printers.
And people have the tendency to use 8.5x11 paper folded. But I don't really like the way the size looks, feels, or reads. I don't think that on booklets DTP people can lower standards and expect the publication to be taken seriously. So these last few weeks I've been thinking about my options of the most practical way to create better sizes, even if I have to use a paper cutter. Does anyone have any suggestions on this?? Are there basic rules to follow on things like line length. I prefer 11 pt for booklets, just for how it looks and reads for myself. Is that a good size in general?

And what about paper? I use 28lb., 96 bright. I just pick it from what is on the shelf at an office supply store. However, I buy the covers from a paper supply store that seems to have a much larger selection. I can't go below 28 lb. without the print showing through. But I actually like the feel of the weight. I wonder if I should want something so bright, but I'm not sure where to buy off-white or if that is most practical.

And yet, it seems that the booklets I know of that go around the world by the millions, have the lowest standards on paper, print, layout, and worst of all quality of content. It's like the best loved poetry -- yuk, don't read it.

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 06:29 PM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
I've been thinking about my options of the most practical way to create better sizes, even if I have to use a paper cutter. Does anyone have any suggestions on this??
You are at the mercy of your printer’s sheet capacity. If you can print 11 X 17 inches, you have some latitude, but if all you can print are letter sheets, much less so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George
Are there basic rules to follow on things like line length. I prefer 11 pt for booklets, just for how it looks and reads for myself. Is that a good size in general?[
What font? Makes all the difference in the world — one face at 11 point could be smaller, visually, than another at 10.

And yes, there are recommended line lengths. I usually recommend that you set the type in a face and size that allows an average of about 10 words per line (a word being 6 letters and spaces).

Quote:
Originally Posted by George
And what about paper? I use 28lb., 96 bright.
An off-white is better than bright for reading. Look on the web for paper sources, or in your local yellow pages for print shop suppliers, where you should be able to find all sorts of stock.