DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 01-23-2007, 07:29 PM   #1
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
I kind of swore off Hallmark--Gold Crown or otherwise--can't really remember why now but I create my own cards now and very rarely buy commercially done cards...
I did my own cards for a number of years, but burned out on it. My mother kept telling me I needed to go into business making custom cards, but it was taking me — at minimum — $80 in labor and materials for the simplest of my cards. It took me a while to make her realize that no one wants to pay $80 minimum for a single, custom greeting card.

My in-laws occasionally hint that they miss my custom cards, but I have no plans to go back to making any. It would be difficult now anyway, what with my beloved Dahle cutter having been left behind in CA.

Old 01-24-2007, 03:00 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Quote:
elyse: It took me a while to make her realize that no one wants to pay $80 minimum for a single, custom greeting card.
ROFL!!! I know this exactly what you meanl!

Even with getting the Strathmore Creative Cards cardstock on sale (lovely stuff with a deckled edge and the envelope is deckled too, 5x7" folded) so that the materials price is reasonable ($.20/card & envelope combo) the cost of my time to create the card image and print them, is higher than most people want to pay--well...to try and sell them commercially.

Of course, being the card freak that I am, I've paid as much as $10/card (really, they were small artworks) but most people aren't like that...

Sooo...in the end, I decided that I make them for myself and as gifts--I do an different equine set each year for the solstice to give as gifts to my horsey friends from shots I've taken over the year...2006's set turned out even better than 2005's set...

>>My in-laws occasionally hint that they miss my custom cards, but I have no plans to go back to making any. It would be difficult now anyway, what with my beloved Dahle cutter having been left behind in CA.

Well...if you decide you'd like to play with it again, I certainly can recommend the Strathmore Creative Cards cardstock...I get mine from ASW and they run sales frequently usually selling the 50 card/envelope box for $9.99 (lists for $26.95) and their shipping is reasonable--I think it's $10 for any number of boxes you order and I usually order 4-5 boxes at a time.

I get the Fluorescent White with White (it's really a very light cream color, quite nice) and while the pic on their website does not show it with the deckle (and "fluorescent" is misspelled...'-}}), it does have the deckle--I emailed them and asked.

I'm going to order 2 of the 100 pack box soon--it's supposed to be back in stock in late February. I could send you some after I get the order if you'd like. They go through my 4000 (and my old 1160) quite nicely but I did have a custom paper profile created for them...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:22 AM   #3
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
I'm going to order 2 of the 100 pack box soon--it's supposed to be back in stock in late February. I could send you some after I get the order if you'd like. They go through my 4000 (and my old 1160) quite nicely but I did have a custom paper profile created for them...
If you care to send one, I'd love to compare it to the Strathmore deckle-edge blanks I bought 20-some years ago (in quantity, and still have several boxes). I'm amazed they go through your inkjet printers; I'm guessing they come flat, not folded as mine are, and probably have less tooth to the finish than mine.

When I was using those I was illustrating with watercolor pencil and regular colored pencil. That requires more time than I have had for years, so these days the only use my Derwent pencils get is when I'm coloring with my kid at the dining room table. If I ever get to retire, perhaps I'll be able to crank up my traditional drawing and illustration skills again.

Old 01-25-2007, 02:41 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
elyse: If you care to send one, I'd love to compare it to the Strathmore deckle-edge blanks I bought 20-some years ago (in quantity, and still have several boxes).
Will do...actually email me your mailing addy (can't find it) and I'll pop a few in the mail to you...I'll bet the cards are virtually identical because these are not their line of digital cardstock which is just yucky stuff and not worth buying...

>>I'm amazed they go through your inkjet printers; I'm guessing they come flat, not folded as mine are, and probably have less tooth to the finish than mine.

Yes...they are flat and I also bend them back and forth a bit before putting them in the paper tray. When I was printing on the 1160, I fed them upsidedown--smooth edge leading (what would be the bottom back of the card when the card was folded)--but the Epson 4000 has a .56" trailing margin that can't be modified so I feed the cards (via the paper tray) deckled edge leading and it feeds just fine...

There is a fair degree of texture to the cardstock and a very nice weight...they have a lovely paper feel to them if you know what I mean...

>>When I was using those I was illustrating with watercolor pencil and regular colored pencil.

They sound lovely...Strathmore does also make a watercolor cardstock (140lb paper according to the box) and it's similar to the Creative Cards cardstock but I think the Creative Cards have more tooth and they are just slightly lighter in weight than the watercolor cardstock--the wc cardstock is stiffer than the Creative Cards cardstock...

Actually, I have 5 10 card boxes of the Watercolor cardstock that I will more than likely never use. Would you like them???

>>That requires more time than I have had for years,

I can understand that...do you have any of your original work? If so, you could scan them and then print them on the cardstock. Or you could work digitally in something like Painter (you'd need a graphics tablet if you don't already have one) and you could work on them when you had time because they don't dry until you tell it to...'-}} I've developed some really nice custom watercolor brushes in Painter that really do mimic trad wc brushes quite nicely...

Terrie
Old 01-25-2007, 08:15 PM   #5
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Will do...actually email me your mailing addy (can't find it) and I'll pop a few in the mail to you...I
One would be sufficient for me to compare, so just one would be fine. Thanks!

Quote:
They sound lovely...Strathmore does also make a watercolor cardstock (140lb paper according to the box) and it's similar to the Creative Cards cardstock but I think the Creative Cards have more tooth and they are just slightly lighter in weight than the watercolor cardstock--the wc cardstock is stiffer than the Creative Cards cardstock...
I think that's what they are — watercolor deckle edge card blanks. That rings a bell.

Quote:
Actually, I have 5 10 card boxes of the Watercolor cardstock that I will more than likely never use. Would you like them???
If you have no other home for them, OK, but don't put yourself out. See, their arrival might guilt me into trying to do something with them...or maybe not.

Quote:
Or you could work digitally in something like Painter (you'd need a graphics tablet if you don't already have one) and you could work on them when you had time because they don't dry until you tell it to...'-}}
Yes, that's a major reason apps like Photoshop (and, before that, Pixel Paint) instantly appealed to me.

Old 01-26-2007, 03:01 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
elyse: One would be sufficient for me to compare, so just one would be fine. Thanks!
Cool...

>>I think that's what they are — watercolor deckle edge card blanks. That rings a bell.

The Strathmore wc cardstock I have does not have a deckled edge...

>>If you have no other home for them, OK, but don't put yourself out. See, their arrival might guilt me into trying to do something with them...or maybe not.

ROFL!!! I will never use them so I'll pop them all in a USPS priority mail flat rate box (wonderful things!) and get them in the mail to you early next week...got your email with your mailing addy...

>>Yes, that's a major reason apps like Photoshop (and, before that, Pixel Paint) instantly appealed to me

You really can do so much in Photoshop. When I got my Epson 4000 with it's large trailing margin, I did have to reorient my cards as I was now feeding deckled edge leading. I have to rotate my image so that it's upside down and the text which appears on what will be the back of the card when the cardstock is folded is now right side up and I had to bump it up a bit to clear the .56" trailing margin but everything prints quite nicely...

I'll email you when the package goes out...

Terrie
Old 01-26-2007, 07:34 PM   #7
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
I'll email you when the package goes out...
Thanks!

Old 01-25-2007, 06:54 PM   #8
JVegVT

Quote:
ROFL!!! I know this exactly what you meanl!
Count me in on that, too. I have a serious card-making hobby and make just about all the cards we send out. I used to have fleeting thoughts about making cards for money, but quickly realized I could never charge enough to cover all the time it takes me. As Elyse says, who's going to pay $80 for a card?

I use plain white cardstock that I buy packaged like a ream of paper. I usually use color that bleeds off the edge of the finished card, so would have no use for a deckled edge. I use an X-Acto knife, a metal ruler, and a self-healing mat for cutting the cards. I do have a paper trimmer, but I never mastered the exact positioning needed so the cut would go where I want it to go and not a little over or under. I could probably figure it out in a few minutes if I experimented, but that's still on my "when I get around to it" list.

I have an old program (Announcements for Windows) that has one feature that will make me use it forever--it can create a cut-and-fold envelope at the exact finished size you want. I then print the outline of the envelope on heavy white paper, cut it out, fold it, and glue it, and I have an envelope that fits the card very nicely. My cards are usually odd sizes that don't fit well in envelopes you can buy.

Do you ever get the feeling that while the recipients love the cards, they have no idea how much work went into them? But we don't do it to get recognition, do we? It's the fun of making something special and personalized.
--Judy M.

Registered Linux User #397786
Being productive with VectorLinux 7 Standard
JVegVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:54 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
judy: I use plain white cardstock that I buy packaged like a ream of paper. I usually use color that bleeds off the edge of the finished card, so would have no use for a deckled edge. I use an X-Acto knife, a metal ruler, and a self-healing mat for cutting the cards.
You have more stamina than I. I loathe cutting paper...'-}}

>>I have an old program (Announcements for Windows) that has one feature that will make me use it forever--it can create a cut-and-fold envelope at the exact finished size you want. I then print the outline of the envelope on heavy white paper, cut it out, fold it, and glue it, and I have an envelope that fits the card very nicely. My cards are usually odd sizes that don't fit well in envelopes you can buy.

That sounds pretty slick but again...I loathe cutting paper...'-}}

Envelopes are probably the most expensive part of any card which is why I find that the Strathmore Creative Cards package is so nice because the envelopes are included and of course, the cardstock is so nice too...

>>Do you ever get the feeling that while the recipients love the cards, they have no idea how much work went into them?

Oh indeed!!!

>>But we don't do it to get recognition, do we?

No...we don't...'-}}

>>It's the fun of making something special and personalized.

Yeah...that's exactly why I continue to make my own cards...

Terrie
Old 01-27-2007, 07:43 PM   #10
JVegVT

Quote:
You have more stamina than I. I loathe cutting paper...'-}}
Terrie
Bear in mind that I don't do this constantly. Today I finished a belated birthday card for my sister-in-law and a birthday card for my brother. Then I made envelopes for each card. Yes, cutting was involved, but it wasn't that much. I've become quite good at it.<g> I'm tempting fate by saying this, but I'm amazed that after all these years I haven't sliced my finger with the X-Acto knife.
--Judy M.

Registered Linux User #397786
Being productive with VectorLinux 7 Standard
JVegVT is offline   Reply With Quote