DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 01-05-2007, 11:02 AM   #1
Linda Baldwin

Default Counters for your site's pages

I expect most of you have decent statistics from your ISP, but I don't. So if any of you out there just want simple counters, I've found

http://amazingcounters.com

to be very useful. It's free, and you can put these on all the pages you want. I liked the ability to have the counter not show on a particular site I manage because they're way out in the boonies, no internet sales, just locals, many of whom have only dialup connections. Basically, very few hits. We'll be resetting the counters on the first of each month.

What pays for these are sponsors who have lists of coupons. These sponsors are known good companies like crucial.com and oldnavy.com. You can choose the one you want and can change it at any time. The links are very small and non-intrusive. You can put them anywhere on the page. Once the customers start to discover them, they might even draw some extra hits over time.

Anyhow, if you want to take a look at the bottom line, I have one on the home page, http://farmandhomekilmarnock.com and also on their monthly changing Specials page: http://farmandhomekilmarnock.com/specials.htm

I have no connection to amazingcounters other than a user of their free counters.

Happy New Year everyone!

Linda
Linda Baldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:54 PM   #2
dthomsen8

Default Other mechanisms?

This is an interesting service. Many ISP's provide statistics, but not all. I will be interested to see if other forum members describe other mechanisms to collect statistics other than what the ISP provides.

Happy New Year! Tomorrow the Mummers will strut on Broad Street.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 01:29 PM   #3
Linda Baldwin

Hey David! At first I thought you meant Broad Street, Richmond, Va. Anyhow, my father always just loved the Mummers. I believe we saw them at the Rose Bowl Parade somewhere around 1958. I was 12 then. <g> I am sure I have some home movies of that adventure. Cool that you mentioned it!

And as for Philly, my parents had friends who lived in Bryn Mawr. The husband was a Navy surgeon during the Korean war with Daddy. They lived in VA Beach next door to us. For years afterwards we visited them in Bryn Mawr, and their daughter was one of my "best friends" at the time....we were in grade school, I in public, Randy at Shipley....or was that where her brother was? Whatever, ther was one for girls and one for boys and they all wore uniforms.

Nice to see you again.

Thanks,
Linda

Thanks,
Linda
Old 01-05-2007, 01:23 PM   #4
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Baldwin View Post
I expect most of you have decent statistics from your ISP, but I don't.
Not even raw log files? You cannot properly monitor the effectiveness of a site and any site promotion without good site stats, which starts off with log files or an analytical program based on those logs, such as Awstats. I'd move to a service provider who provides a proper business service.

If you really cannot get at log files and cannot move hosts then the best (free) solution that I have come across is Google Analytics. This is a useful facility, as it can be associated with Adwords to help determine ROI for campaigns, and assist in campaign management.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 06:42 AM   #5
Linda Baldwin

Marjolein, thanks! That looks really good. I took a look at the StatCounter site. So you need to do just one account (the free one) and StatCounter will keep track of hits on all the pages of the site?

Linda
Old 01-05-2007, 06:57 PM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

In some cases you can play another tricky little game; it's been a long time since I did this so the details may not be quite right, but you can modify the html so that it displays the image created by the counter script very small (say 1 x 1 pixel) on the actual page, but another page (known only to you) displays the counter image (or even lots of them) at normal size.

Result: a page where you can see a quick hit summary of all the pages you're interested in. Handy.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 03:08 AM   #7
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
In some cases you can play another tricky little game; it's been a long time since I did this so the details may not be quite right, but you can modify the html so that it displays the image created by the counter script very small (say 1 x 1 pixel) on the actual page, but another page (known only to you) displays the counter image (or even lots of them) at normal size.
Warning: not all counter/statistics providers allow this!

BTW, I'm using StatCounter on my blog: not only does it allow a hidden counter (on any page) but you get a really extensive set of drill-down stats for the last 100 page loads for free; you can upgrade to keep higher numbers fro a reasonable price (the 100 is good enough for me to keep track of some trends though). See the "View Statistics" link in the side bar of my blog: I've made it public but you don't need to either (and it's still free).

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:04 AM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> Warning: not all counter/statistics providers allow this!

No, of course not. That's why the first words out of my fingers were "In some cases ..." <g>

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote