DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 01-04-2007, 09:28 AM   #1
kev_taoboy

Default Photoshop masks in Multiad Creator

Hi all,

I've just recently started using MultiAd Creator Pro 6.0 after years of Quark and InDesign.

I'm not satisfied with the mask clipping that MultiAd provides for photos and other graphics, and am trying unsucccessfully to get the Photoshop mask option to work.

I'm not really familiar with masking in Photoshop (I usually use clipping paths) and so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

If anyone uses this masking option, can you please walk me through it?

thanks,
Kevin
kev_taoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:58 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Kevin...need more info:

1. Which OS?

2. Which version of Photoshop?

I've never used MultiAd so I'm not familiar with it but why won't the clipping path created in Photoshop work?

Can you upload a sample image and describe in some detail how you need to mask/clip it?

The above confusion stated, off the top of my head...I'd either create a selection using one of the selection tools (lasso, rectangular marquee, magic wand) and/or create a layer mask (and then maybe "set selection to layer mask) and then work from there...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:06 PM   #3
kev_taoboy

Good point - more info is good...

I'm working on Mac OSX with MultliAd Creator Pro 6 and Photoshop CS.

All I'm trying to do is create a clipping path around the man's head (see attached PDF) so the black bar behind him will show thru (yes, it is on my example, but i ended up doing that in Photoshop). But MultiAd doesn't recognize clipping paths, it only wants masks.

I could easily do it in Quark or InDesign, but I've only been using MultiAd for three days now and while it claims it can import Photoshop masks, I haven't been able to make it do it. I'm not really familiar with Photoshop masks, but I've tried every trick I can find on the Adobe help website, and no luck so far...

If anyone out there is a MultiAd pro, maybe they have the answer. Maybe there's some special way to save the file, or something like that?

God, I miss InDesign...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf weekender.pdf (162.5 KB, 79 views)
Old 01-04-2007, 03:03 PM   #4
bmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev_taoboy View Post
Hi all,

I've just recently started using MultiAd Creator Pro 6.0 after years of Quark and InDesign.

I'm not satisfied with the mask clipping that MultiAd provides for photos and other graphics, and am trying unsucccessfully to get the Photoshop mask option to work.

I'm not really familiar with masking in Photoshop (I usually use clipping paths) and so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

If anyone uses this masking option, can you please walk me through it?

thanks,
Kevin
You can do clipping paths in Photoshop. Or layer masks. Those are the ones I'm familiar with. To make a clipping path, use the pen tool to draw your path. In the Paths palette, save your working path, then select the path and in the Palette menu, select Clipping path.

Edit: I'm using OSX with Photoshop CS2 although I believe the procedure is the same at least as far back as Photoshop 5.
bmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:12 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
bmann: To make a clipping path,
Kevin knows how to make clipping paths--he says he usually does that--and it's masks that have him confused...

Terrie
Old 01-04-2007, 03:19 PM   #6
bmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
Kevin knows how to make clipping paths--he says he usually does that--and it's masks that have him confused...

Terrie
Oh. In that case make a new layer (cannot add layer mask to "background" layer) or duplicate your background layer if that is the image. Then go to Layer > Layer Mask > Reveal all, then start covering up stuff you want masked using a paintbrush or any other method.
bmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:30 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
bmann: Oh. In that case make a new layer (cannot add layer mask to "background" layer) or duplicate your background layer if that is the image. Then go to Layer > Layer Mask > Reveal all, then start covering up stuff you want masked using a paintbrush or any other method.
Right...I had that all written up and then decided that maybe he really doesn't want a layer mask but wants to do a "regular" selection and deleted my instructions...hopefully Kevin will pop back in and give us a bit more detail on what he really needs...'-}}

Terrie
Old 01-05-2007, 08:35 AM   #8
kev_taoboy

Ok, I got it working!

I feel kinda stupid - I guess by "mask", they really meant clipping path, and I was forgetting that in older programs you have to save your clipping path files in an EPS format (I've been spoiled by InDesign, and forgotten some of the basic Quark 4.0 rules).

Anyway, it works great with a clipping path saved as an EPS! Duh.
Does anyone else use MulitAd creator 6.0, or is it only this archaic art department I'm now working in?

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Kevin
Old 01-05-2007, 09:29 AM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Glad you figured it out, Kevin.

I used Multi-Ad Creator briefly in the early 1990s. My favorite output guy raved about it, comparing it in some aspects favorably to my then-fave, PageMaker. I think I even reviewed it once.

It had useful features, and was powerful at the time. But it doesn’t seem to have progressed much since then. It took an excursion when Apple brought out GX and then dropped it, leaving Multi-Ad and some other apps kind of holding the bag. And for too long its developers seemed to believe there was a sizable market for a dedicated ad-creation tool, and by the time they changed their minds and added page and other typical DTP functions, Quark had the market just about sewn up.

Too bad, though — it was pretty cool as I remember it.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:35 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

Quote:
kevin: Anyway, it works great with a clipping path saved as an EPS! Duh.
LOL!!! I'm so glad you got it sorted out...

As to masks...bmann had the basic instructions in his 2nd post...let me know if you need more detail--in case you want to do some mask playing...'-}}

Terrie