DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 12-03-2006, 05:29 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
I used to eat stirfry in here (lefthanded so I could use the digitising tablet and eat with chopsticks at the same time) but gave it up after a cockroach took up residence in the keyboard...
Eeeew — yuck!

Old 12-03-2006, 10:20 AM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Eeeew — yuck!
It was only a small cockroach!

I tend to have a few cockroaches because I refuse to have the house sprayed for them. Fewer now that I have resident Asian house geckos inside and outside the house. I'm of the view that the poisons are more of a threat to my health than the occasional cockroach.

Old 12-03-2006, 12:20 PM   #3
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
I'm of the view that the poisons are more of a threat to my health than the occasional cockroach.
I tend to think cockroaches are not much of a health hazard anyway. Poisons certainly are!

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 05:23 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
I tend to think cockroaches are not much of a health hazard anyway. Poisons certainly are!
The roaches I saw in NYC may not have been a health hazard, strictly speaking, but they stank and scuttled around unnervingly whenever we turned on a light.

They are hard to get rid off in apartment buildings as they just move from one unit to another. We used to use borax powder, really strict control over food (everything was in impermeable containers of some sort), and could keep them to a dull roar, but I never want to live with them.

The first cockroach I ever saw was in Honolulu (where they call them water bugs). It was about 3 inches long and flying at my sisters and me, who were in our near-empty home (sitting on deck chairs, as our furniture had not arrived yet). I grabbed the only available weapon, a big phone book, threw it at the bug, which fell to the floor. One of my sisters somehow got the book on its back and jumped up and down on it. It died.

Alaskans are familiar with pushy mosquitos, but not flying jumbo bugs, and we panicked.

Old 12-04-2006, 01:18 PM   #5
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

<shudder> I have water bug stories, one involving my dad and bare feet at 6:00 a.m. and another involving me in a swimsuit.

Old 12-11-2006, 07:51 AM   #6
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
The first cockroach I ever saw was in Honolulu (where they call them water bugs). It was about 3 inches long and flying at my sisters and me, who were in our near-empty home (sitting on deck chairs, as our furniture had not arrived yet). I grabbed the only available weapon, a big phone book, threw it at the bug, which fell to the floor. One of my sisters somehow got the book on its back and jumped up and down on it. It died.

Alaskans are familiar with pushy mosquitos, but not flying jumbo bugs, and we panicked.
Well, with respect to creepy-crawlies, I guess I'm weird, but basically I like them all - including spiders, millipedes, and other members of their order. I was once on a cruise ship and there were about 6 cockroaches in our cabin - my fellow cruisers were not pleased (hmm) but I was merely interested. I've seen my share of giant bugs - mainly in the tropics, of course - including what looked like a giant cockroach in Peru (possibly a cousin of that Mexican cockroach): I woke up in the middle of the night needing to go to the bathroom (i.e., walk up to the village pump, turn left, and walk till you reach the river), turned on my small flash light and saw this big creature walking along the top of the foot board (what do you call that?) of my bunk - elegant, indeed; I was quite impressed and watched it for a few seconds. Then I hastily went out in the pitch dark, found the river, found my way back - and was disappointed that slow-striding giant was no longer to be seen on my bunk or even nearby (I looked!). Slept soundly after that (and forgot to take my flashlight the next morning).

Usually, when I see interesting "bugs" my first reaction is to grab my camera. No, I've never seen an apartment building infestation - but I've seen what it looks like on film. I'm sure they'e a nuisance, but the images triggered not fear (as intended), but admiration in me. The same sort of admiration I feel when I see a tiny plant sprouting through a crack in the tarmac and pushing it aside. We only share this world with other creatures...

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 07:56 AM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

We all march through lives carrying myriad influences. I grew up almost without insects (except mosquitos), and was shocked by my first cockroach.

Do I also see something interesting in them? Sure. But not in my bed, kitchen, food.

To each her own.

Old 12-03-2006, 10:00 PM   #8
Franca
Staff

I'm not sure that cockroaches are as large a problem elsewhere as they are in places such as in New York City high-rises. Someone who has seen a full-fledged urban cockroach infestation will have an entirely different opinion of cockroaches. I've never seen a cockroach in a private home around here, and only a few times have I seen one scurrying about in a restaurant....

Also, I've found that not all cockroaches are created equal ... I was quite impressed with Mexican cockroaches, for example. Quite large and elegant, slow-moving (for cockroaches) and generally appearing singly rather than in great herds. Perhaps your Australian cockroaches are similar?

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 05:25 AM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca View Post
I've never seen a cockroach in a private home around here, and only a few times have I seen one scurrying about in a restaurant....
One memorable lunch at a small Japanese place near our office in NYC, one of our table mates found a dead cockroach in the bottom of her bowl of rice.

Put us all off our feed, that did.

Old 12-05-2006, 11:40 AM   #10
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

I've been living with cockroaches all my life, having grown up in an old Queenslander cottage that was impossible to cockroach-proof.

I did get a bad infestation once, when they set up a nest in a cupboard where I'd stored a side of leather (I used to do leatherwork). When I got rid of the leather, the cockroaches diminished considerably. These days I rarely see one

We have two sorts here - the large mid-brown ones that sometimes fly in from the trees as well as living in dark places in the house. And the smaller, German cockroaches (which are probably not German, but we call them that anyway) which are very dark coloured, and occasionally appear in the hand basin in my bathroom. It was one of the latter that appeared between the keys of my keyboard.

Oh, and we have the native cockroaches that live in the soil of the garden and are good guys.