DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 12-06-2006, 01:06 PM   #1
George

Default Business Cards

I couldn't count all the software I have that makes business cards. However, this software defintely isn't my favorite. Cantankerous stuff!! So what is the best software (I mean easy to use, as my designs are simple, according to the image I want to project)??? (Well, maybe I'll do something very personal too for friends, and that can get artistic).

I heard that Avery has a template that can be downloaded for MS Word, and that might be good, but I couldn't find it.

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:39 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

I create my business cards 2 ways:

1. Doing the entire card in Photoshop, saving it as a flattened TIFF file and then going into WordPerfect, opening up an Avery business card form/template (comes with WordPerfect), inserting the image, dup'ing 9 times (I use a 10 card form) and printing it on my HP6MP laser printer (b/w).

2. Open up WordPerfect and load the Avery Business card template and typing in what I want, dup'ing 9 times, and then printing

Which approach I use depends on how complicated the card it. If I'm using a image more than likely I'll do it in Photoshop...

I've attached a recent design I did for my niece...used approach #1...

Terrie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	acard2b.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	785  
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 12:41 AM   #3
LoisWakeman
Staff

Hi George,

Word has a label wizard (via the Tools menu) that sets up a table with the right margins etc: you just select your stationery type (if standard), or plug in the # of labels, spacing, paper size, margins etc and Word constructs what you need to complete it. You can either have a whole page of the same (as you will need), or save an empty document to customise as you wish.

Have your business card text ready and on the clipboard to paste in to the wizard!

I find this works well for all kinds of labels as well as business cards. I have some of the semi-gloss ones that have a "snap-clean" cut so you don't get ragged edges like the older perforated ones: on my photo printer, they look almost as good as the printed/guillotined ones and much more flexible as I only have to do a sheet at a time, not 500.

I think you normally get the Avery template as part of a package with labels - certainly I've only seen them offered this way in the UK.
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 05:58 AM   #4
George

I should have known, that I would get responses beyond my expectations in this forum.

After I made the initial thread post, I saw a business card I got from an estate sale I went to a couple weeks ago. It had an interesting slogan. "Life is filled with change. We can Help." Dang-- that stuck with me. Yes, my life is filled with change, and I have to keep that in mind with a positive attitude, or it affects how much help I need.

I made the initial post, as I was changing the slogan on the card, and that somehow changed the line spacing and there was no way to set it back. But now I realize how bland my slogan was, and I really have to get with it. These slogans have power, but most people use such mediocre ones, that I got used to thinking they have no real significance. Wrong!

So now I'm going to think of a better slogan, as well as this thread being an example of how my approach to business cards was too narrow in general. Life is filled with change, but you people help.

Thank you Terrie and Lois!

George
(Oh, in regard to my other thread on where to find a 20 ft. parallel printer cable -- at an estate sale, of course. Five bucks.)
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 02:19 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

You're welcome...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote