DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 12-04-2006, 09:46 AM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Selecting a video card

I'm going to buy a new computer. I want to avoid swapping my old Matrox card into the new computer. Or buying a new Matrox. And from what I've been told, just about any ATI or NVIDIA works well with Photoshop.

Here are my choices:

1. ATI Radeon® X300SE with 128MB DDR Video Memory and TV Out

2. NVIDIA® GeForce 7300LE Video Card with 256MB TurboCacheTM (64MB discrete DDR3 Memory) and DVI, VGA, & TV-Out

3. NVIDIA® GeForce 7600GS 256MB Dual DVI - Dual Link w/ HDCP & TV-Out

4. ATI x1300 Ultra Video Card with 128MB Dual DVI & TV-Out

Any suggestions? Anyone here using one of these with a Pantone/Colorvision Spyder?
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 02:58 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Ohhh...I hope someone answers because I'm very curious myself--I've got a Matrox card too...

From what you have on the list and given what I've read, I'd probably go with #2 or #3...

You might try emailing suport at ColorVision and asking them if they might have a suggestion or if there are any known issues with what's out there...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 03:42 PM   #3
Andrew B.
Staff

Maybe I should email them. I'm down to the wire here, and have to purchase very soon.

One angle I didn't think of before. With all the LCD screens out there, I wonder if all cards still support a CRT monitor. Because that's what I have.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:23 AM   #4
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
Maybe I should email them. I'm down to the wire here, and have to purchase very soon.

One angle I didn't think of before. With all the LCD screens out there, I wonder if all cards still support a CRT monitor. Because that's what I have.
Check if they have an analog ("VGA" output). (Vice versa, for an older graphics card if you want to hook up an LCD/TFT screen, check if there's an analog input (as well as digital). Unless your CRT has a digital input next to the analog one.

Why don't you want a Matrox? For non-3D graphics work they're perfectly good, and tend to be a lot cheaper than the 3D games-capable cards. Unless you want to run Vista in all it's 3D glory (hmm?) of course...

I have a Matrox dual head (450G) here - old, but never a squeak from it - possibly the stablest part in my poor old Grace.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 04:37 AM   #5
Andrew B.
Staff

The problem I'm having is it's not clear whether they have a VGA output, and checking the card manufacturer website is less than helpful.

I don't have anything against Matrox cards. The only problems I've had is a Windows 2000 update offered an updated Matrox driver and I took it. Now my Start button blinks most of the time. It's just that I want to try something else, and I need the ease of not having to install it myself.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:45 AM   #6
iamback

Quote:
The problem I'm having is it's not clear whether they have a VGA output, and checking the card manufacturer website is less than helpful.
Of the four you mentioned, one has "VGA" in the description. Google the card names, you may find more info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B.
I don't have anything against Matrox cards. The only problems I've had is a Windows 2000 update offered an updated Matrox driver and I took it. Now my Start button blinks most of the time. It's just that I want to try something else, and I need the ease of not having to install it myself.
So just reinstall the original driver. The cards come with a CD with the driver software on it. I just used that to install the driver on the "repair" extra version of Win2K I installed on Grace to get at the original boot drive. If you don't have the CD any more, check their web site.

(I install nothing Windows update offers me except the most critical updates. I just prefer to be in control. )

Old 12-05-2006, 03:59 PM   #7
Andrew B.
Staff

I don't remember why I didn't revert to the original driver. I think I checked the Matrox site and left with the impression that the one I got from Microsoft is the one they wanted me to use.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:16 PM   #8
iamback

Quote:
I don't remember why I didn't revert to the original driver. I think I checked the Matrox site and left with the impression that the one I got from Microsoft is the one they wanted me to use.
Manufacturer's sites often have older drivers available, so look for that - if you don't have the original CD that is.

Old 12-06-2006, 03:45 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: I think I checked the Matrox site and left with the impression that the one I got from Microsoft is the one they wanted me to use.
I've always found the Matrox driver pages to be confusing so I'm not surprised...

Glad you found info at CV...

Terrie
Old 12-05-2006, 03:43 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: Maybe I should email them. I'm down to the wire here, and have to purchase very soon.
I usually get a very quick response when I've emailed ColorVision...

>>One angle I didn't think of before. With all the LCD screens out there, I wonder if all cards still support a CRT monitor. Because that's what I have.

Ohhh! I'd not thought about that...

>>The only problems I've had is a Windows 2000 update offered an updated Matrox driver and I took it. Now my Start button blinks most of the time. It's just that I want to try something else, and I need the ease of not having to install it myself.

I haven't updated my video drivers in eons...it makes me nervous just thinking about it...I'll bet if you did the update via Microsoft that it install its own drivers rather than a "true" Matrox driver...

Terrie