DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Old 11-21-2006, 01:00 AM   #1
yorkyboy

Default Times they are a changing!

I've just reinstalled windows and all my apps and fonts but now Framemaker refuses to display CE characters!

What's wrong with bloody CE characters would it cost adobe/Linotype etc the earth to just release their fonts with five or six more characters in place!

Half of my hair is already grey from trying to get FM to display a t' in Czech.

This poor country has suffered enough under the hasrsh regimes of the last 50 years or so, so why can't the big guns in the font world just put a few more flakey characters into their font files....

Seriously though if anyone knows how to tweak FM or windows to fix the CE font issue I would be very greatful.
yorkyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:21 AM   #2
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkyboy View Post
I've just reinstalled windows and all my apps and fonts but now Framemaker refuses to display CE characters!
I don't knwo what "CE Characters" are, but maybe your probleem is a matter of Windows configuration. Go to Control panel, Regional Options, and find Language settings; check every language you need support for.

(You may need to do somethnig similar in Framemaker as well - I don't know the program - so check for language support in options there as well.)

Whether the needed glyphs exist in your font files is an entirely different matter - but Windows languages support comes first and is essential.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 05:55 AM   #3
donmcc

CE generally means Central European. I believe it is Latin with additional accents, and national characters like the slash L and others.
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:21 AM   #4
Michael Rowley

Quote:
now Framemaker refuses to display CE characters!
FrameMaker can't display any character that is outside the ANSI range (0–255); if your using a Western European font, it won't display the additional characters used in languages using modified Latin scripts (such as Polish): you have to use another font. Windows NT5 (2000 or later) and the later Mac operating systems recognize Unicode, but FrameMaker still works on its ages-old system.

Almost any Adobe Open Type font produced in the last few years has Western and Central European characters, and the same goes for most of the fonts supplied with Windows.

Old 11-21-2006, 11:10 AM   #5
yorkyboy

Thanks for the input guys it was more of a spleen venting excercise really.

I work in foreign language typesetting so this is a familiar issue I'm afraid.

Unfortunately Frame doesn't cope to well with OpenType fonts.

I will keep nudging and coaxing windows and FM to see if I can fix it.
yorkyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:51 PM   #6
Michael Rowley

Quote:
Unfortunately Frame doesn't cope to well with OpenType fonts
Well, FrameMaker 7.1 can't cope with anything above U+00FF, but I have an idea that FM 7.2 fudges a few characters above that; so any Open Type font with more than 256 characters is just a waste.

The FrameMaker forums might have a partial solution.

Old 11-21-2006, 03:31 PM   #7
bmann

Arial.TTF supplied with Windows supports CE glyphs and so does Framemaker without any tweaking. If Frame won't load certain fonts that's a different problem.
bmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 02:06 PM   #8
Michael Rowley

Quote:
Arial.TTF supplied with Windows supports CE glyphs and so does Framemaker without any tweaking
Quite a few Windows fonts have CE characters (e.g. Georgia, Verdana), but as they're all Open Type fonts, only a few of those characters can be accessed using the ANSI codes (e.g. Š). The 'small letter T with caron' that was sought is U+0165, but 0185 in the CE (1250) code page. How do you get it from a OT font in FrameMaker? I must confess, I don't know. If you import a Word file containing CE characters, nearly all are ignored in FrameMaker.

Old 11-22-2006, 04:42 PM   #9
bmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley View Post
Quite a few Windows fonts have CE characters (e.g. Georgia, Verdana), but as they're all Open Type fonts, only a few of those characters can be accessed using the ANSI codes (e.g. Š). The 'small letter T with caron' that was sought is U+0165, but 0185 in the CE (1250) code page. How do you get it from a OT font in FrameMaker? I must confess, I don't know. If you import a Word file containing CE characters, nearly all are ignored in FrameMaker.
I just copied and pasted Czech text from an ANSI file (Trados TTX file) right into Framemaker and the default font (Times New Roman) showed all of the necessary characters.
bmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 07:52 AM   #10
Michael Rowley

Quote:
I just copied and pasted Czech text from an ANSI file
Does your specimen of Czech from an ANSI file paste in FrameMaker as an object or as text? And did the ANSI text contain any characters that don't require codes above U+00FF? I tried pasting 18 different characters from Word, and 16 of them were reproduced as objects (they were non-editable); the two that weren't reproduced appeared as question marks. When I imported the original Word file, all except Š and its lower case equivalent were simply ignored.

I haven't got any Type 1 CE fonts, so I don't know what glyphs they contain: the Unicode standard does not refer to 'CE' scripts at all, but all the exclusively CE characters will be in the Latin B range. The particular one mentioned, t', is an alternative often used in Czech printing for t with a hacek; it is in the Unicode set (U+0165), but might not be in the Code Page 1250.