DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 11-06-2006, 12:34 PM   #1
dthomsen8

Default Netscape 8.1 Browser

Since the latest update of the Netscape Browser is version 8.1, based on Firefox, is there any reason that I should retain this browser for web site development?

On the other side, is there any reason for me to test web sites in earlier versions of the Netscape browser, or should I guess that most users will upgrade to 8.1?
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 02:47 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Quote:
dthomsen8: On the other side, is there any reason for me to test web sites in earlier versions of the Netscape browser, or should I guess that most users will upgrade to 8.1?
I wouldn't make that assumption...I've been sticking with Netscape 7.2 because I don't care for version 8--can't remember the specifics because it's been a bit since I looked at version 8...will check out 8.2 though...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 03:21 AM   #3
dthomsen8

Default Old vs. New Netscape

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
I wouldn't make that assumption...I've been sticking with Netscape 7.2 because I don't care for version 8--can't remember the specifics because it's been a bit since I looked at version 8...
You are not the only one sticking with 7.2, or not satisfied with version 8x.

Here is a petition to bring back the look of the old Netscape using the mechanisms (Mozilla/Firefox based) of the 8x Netscape. Searching for "old Netscape" provides lots of other references to the old vs. new Netscape controversy.

For those of us who want an older version of Netscape, this site has all the versions, way back to version 1.0 and earlier, with excellent descriptions of each version. Installing version 8.0 overlaid my 7x Netscape, but I can get it back for testing at this site.

http://sillydog.org/narchive/
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:19 AM   #4
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
Here is a petition to bring back the look of the old Netscape using the mechanisms (Mozilla/Firefox based) of the 8x Netscape.
The title of that page is actually "A Request by the Netscape Community to Bring Back Our Netscape.com" and it is a request to bring back the look of the old portal at netscape.com.
Quote:
For several years, I have been a loyal customer of Netscape and a frequent visitor to www.netscape.com. I found it an excellent portal page where I could quickly overview the latest news headlines, access my email, and peruse the latest stock quotes, all in a matter of minutes. It was much to my dismay, then, that I recently visited the Netscape homepage and discovered that they had completely overhauled their site in favor of attempting to capitalize on the latest Internet fad: voter-based social news.
Quote:
It is a testament to the quality of the old Netscape.com that I continued to use it as my default homepage long after I switched to Internet Explorer, and now Firefox. However, if Netscape continues to support its new "social news" homepage, I will be regrettably forced to seek out a new homepage to serve my needs.
The lot of references the google search brings up all seem to refer to that controversy about the new organization of the portal.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote