DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 10-17-2006, 04:26 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default ThumbsPlus expands database support

ThumbsPlus (the photo file manager) stores its thumbnails in a database. Until recently, it was limited to using the Microsoft Access JET format, which is limited to 2 gigs. But now, it also supports MS SQL Server, Sybase SQL, MySQL, PostgreSQL, IBM DB2, and Firebird. You can read more about this here: http://www.cerious.com/databases.shtml

The Firebird database is a new one to me, so I visited their site. I learned that it's based on Borland InterBase. http://www.firebirdsql.org/.

Interesting that they call if Firebird. The obvious next step would be to bundle it with a word processor and spreadsheet. Then call it the Firebird Suite.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 12:29 AM   #2
iamback

I have totally given up on ThumbsPlus since it thoroughly clobbered some files writing IPTC data - and my bug report was totally ignored by the developers. Never mind that I'd just bought the latest version. Lost money, won't lose any more files.

I'm glad that happened now since I then found IMatch which is incredibly more powerful and flexible. Really a world of difference. It uses its own (very effcient) database format but that is no problem - it can be exported/imported completely as plain text. That allows not only changes to be made and re-imported (I've done that) but makes it future-proof as well. (And it doesn't clobber files while writing data to them.)

I'm going to wipe TP off my disk - it's just sitting there taking up space.

Last edited by iamback; 10-18-2006 at 10:51 AM. Reason: plural was essential
iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 05:17 AM   #3
Andrew B.
Staff

I avoid everything that rewrites a file, but this is a strike against ThumbsPlus. On the IMatch side, I tested IMatch and found that it cannot browse photos without cataloging them first.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:50 AM   #4
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
I avoid everything that rewrites a file, but this is a strike against ThumbsPlus. On the IMatch side, I tested IMatch and found that it cannot browse photos without cataloging them first.
Of course - it is emphatically not a "browser" type of application: it's a DAM application and allows you to work with your database even when the images are off-line.

When I just need to browse I use XnView (which is freee and supports an incredible number of image formats). I avoid doing any operations on files in XnView though (even though it is capable of doing some) - those are reserved for IMatch and image editors like PHP or tools like ExifTool; XnView is used for nothing but browsing.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote