DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Old 10-13-2006, 08:13 AM   #1
LoisWakeman
Staff

Default Deeply ironic or just naff?

Researching for an entry in my blog, I came across this site (for a London restaurant).

http://www.sketch.uk.com/ (needs Flash, or course).

I can't decide why it's done like that - do they think it's clever, or do they have their expensive Michelin-starred cheeks firmly stuffed with tongue?

Anyway, have a nice weekend, even if you have beans on toast to look forward to (yum).
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 08:32 AM   #2
dthomsen8

Default Valuables in that fancy egg

I think they expect us to look into that fancy egg and find very valuable and exciting things inside. The Flash presentation with the decorations on and off on the egg, all kinds of things inside the egg, more figures moving all over, makes for a really expensively done web site, intended to impress people willing to spend plenty at their restaurant.

Oh, the English think baked beans go on toast, or with breakfast, but Americans find that to be unexpected, but edible.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:32 AM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
Oh, the English think baked beans go on toast, or with breakfast, but Americans find that to be unexpected, but edible.
I wondered about that. Never would occur to me to put beans on toast, but it might be fine. I love refried beans in a corn tortilla, after all — not so very different, really.

Old 10-13-2006, 11:44 AM   #4
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
VistBritain, the current incaration of the English Tourist Board prescribe the items that should be included in a full English breakfast, such as we serve in out guest house. The items list does include baked beans, so we get through three to four hundred tins a year..... They really do go well with Lancashire black pudding.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:30 AM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisWakeman View Post
do they think it's clever, or do they have their expensive Michelin-starred cheeks firmly stuffed with tongue?

Anyway, have a nice weekend, even if you have beans on toast to look forward to (yum).
Hard to take it seriously. Is this the sort of place that people are clamoring to get into? Maybe it is their little joke on the plebes.

Yes, everyone. Have a good weekend. I am making split pea soup, have a nice baguette to go with it. Goes with our suddenly autumnal weather.

Old 10-13-2006, 11:54 AM   #6
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Yes, everyone. Have a good weekend. I am making split pea soup, have a nice baguette to go with it. Goes with our suddenly autumnal weather.
Yum! (Though I'd have pea soup, or kale for that matter, at any time of the year!)

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:37 PM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
Yum! (Though I'd have pea soup, or kale for that matter, at any time of the year!)
Oh, me too. I like pea soup, and potato/leek soup, and many other hearty soups. Do not even mind them for dinner.

But I am married to someone who was imprinted by a wonderful southern Italian cook at a young age, and he perishes if not fed pasta at least three times a week!

Old 10-13-2006, 11:37 AM   #8
donmcc

I'm also not sure if this is bad Flash done well, or good Flash, done badly.

It definitely does not work, in spite of some good intentions.
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:41 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

What a silly-assed pointless site!

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 01:24 PM   #10
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

After waiting ages for it to load, some parts of the site don't work (the two links on the right of the index page) and the rest is hard to read.