DTP


 
Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web


Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2006, 09:53 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default FontShop goodies & freebies

If you haven’t visited FontShop lately, you might want to go.

They have a very interesting series of articles on what fonts are used in popular commercial products. The one I happened on featured “pillowy soft script fonts” — such as those used for Downy fabric softener, Viva paper towels, Cottonelle toilet paper, etc.

Other pieces in the series include Tasty Type (fonts on food packages) and Design Outside the Box (more packages, including some from Target).

Besides that, they give away useful and well-made fonts. Not whole families, of course (they probably hope you will come back and buy those), but useful fonts nonetheless. It is certainly easier to understand how a typeface works if you can play with it yourself.

Right now the FontShop free fonts page is offering Baskervlle Old Face regular and Brody freestyle script, both from Elsner & Flake; Milo regular, a nice-looking sans with a large x-height by Michael Abbink; and FF Dingbats, a selection of mixed pi fonts — including stylized people, pointing fingers, office supplies, arrors, etc. — by Johannes Erler and Olaf Stein.

I found all these because I was hunting for a certain type of script — like those used in advertising in Germany during the 1920s or so. While I never found that (may have to draw it if I can find a good specimen), I did find Brody, which I will use for now.

You can sign up to receive e-mail when there is a new free font from FontShop.

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 11:47 AM   #2
terrie
Staff
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 8,947
Default

What fun and interesting articles! I loved the last bit on the Tasty Type page...very clever...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:59 AM   #3
Cristen Gillespie
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 814
Default

I enjoyed seeing how the designers picked the typefaces to reflect the product's "nature" or "culture." Must make for interesting sessions, sometimes, sitting around trying to decide if a product is elegant, old-fashioned wholesome, antique, or mother earth.G>

   
__________________
Cristen
Cristen Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 06:05 AM   #4
iamback
Member
 
iamback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Amsterdam, NL
Posts: 4,894
Default

Is there some alternative way to get to the 'FontShop free fonts' page you link to? That link redirects to a page saying I need Flash (which I don't want). Some way to get to it from a menu maybe?

The Pillowy Soft Script Fonts page does work.

   
__________________
Marjolein Katsma
Look through my eyes on Cultural Surfaces (soon!), My ArtFlakes shop and Flickr.
Occasionally I am also connecting online dots... and sometimes you can follow me on Marjolein's Travel Blog
iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 06:12 AM   #5
donmcc
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sarnia, Canada
Posts: 1,122
Default

You are Mac, right? These are the three links to the download pages. (I didn't see any Flash on the page myself, BTW.)

https://www.fontshop.com/index.cfm?f...ail&file_id=71
https://www.fontshop.com/index.cfm?f...ail&file_id=10
https://www.fontshop.com/index.cfm?f...ail&file_id=15
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 02:21 PM   #6
iamback
Member
 
iamback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Amsterdam, NL
Posts: 4,894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmcc View Post
You are Mac, right? These are the three links to the download pages. (I didn't see any Flash on the page myself, BTW.)

https://www.fontshop.com/index.cfm?f...ail&file_id=71
https://www.fontshop.com/index.cfm?f...ail&file_id=10
https://www.fontshop.com/index.cfm?f...ail&file_id=15
Nope, Win2K... the first of those links also redirects to a "you need Flash" page, the other two ask for an email address; I tried to enter one at one of them but then get a .sit file (I tried to make a font packaged as that usable before but never managed).

But at least there does seem to be a way to download - any links for Windows versions?

   
__________________
Marjolein Katsma
Look through my eyes on Cultural Surfaces (soon!), My ArtFlakes shop and Flickr.
Occasionally I am also connecting online dots... and sometimes you can follow me on Marjolein's Travel Blog
iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 09:11 AM   #7
Stephen Coles
Member
 
Stephen Coles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 23
Default

Kathleen - Glad you're digging the FontShop newsletter. Readers here can subscribe by sending mail to news@fontshop.com.

iamback - We've never run into this Flash redirection before. Have you tried with an alternate browser like Firefox?
Stephen Coles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:09 AM   #8
iamback
Member
 
iamback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Amsterdam, NL
Posts: 4,894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Coles View Post
iamback - We've never run into this Flash redirection before. Have you tried with an alternate browser like Firefox?
I just tried - no difference, either Firefox 1.0.3 on another machine or 1.0.7 on this: every page that redirects (like this one) takes me to http://www.fontshop.be/detect/noflash.htm.

My normal browser is Mozilla 1.7.12. I do not have Flash installed on either machine (except within Opera which doesn't give a you a choice - good reason not to use it except for testing - but at least limits Flash to that browser only).

With Firefox it is extra-annoying because (even on the redirect page!) it adds a bar at the top of the page Saying "Additional plugins are required to display all the media on this page" with an "Install Missing Plugins" button; the bar can be closed - but for that one page only, it cannot be disabled, or at least I cannot find a way to do that. The plugin is not "missing", dammit, it's not installed because I chose not to install it! Like Opera, Firefox is for (very occasional) testing only.

<rant>And sorry, but I really do not see why Flash would be needed to show a font preview, request an email address, or allow a font download. And not all pages on the site do this, so why do others do the redirect? It's very annoying... especially with a redirect page that itself uses Flash! And carefully read the text on that redirect page - it's also misleading, to say the least.</rant>

   
__________________
Marjolein Katsma
Look through my eyes on Cultural Surfaces (soon!), My ArtFlakes shop and Flickr.
Occasionally I am also connecting online dots... and sometimes you can follow me on Marjolein's Travel Blog
iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 12:05 PM   #9
ProperLady
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
If you haven’t visited FontShop lately, you might want to go.

They have a very interesting series of articles on what fonts are used in popular commercial products. The one I happened on featured “pillowy soft script fonts” — such as those used for Downy fabric softener, Viva paper towels, Cottonelle toilet paper, etc.

Other pieces in the series include Tasty Type (fonts on food packages) and Design Outside the Box (more packages, including some from Target).

Besides that, they give away useful and well-made fonts. Not whole families, of course (they probably hope you will come back and buy those), but useful fonts nonetheless. It is certainly easier to understand how a typeface works if you can play with it yourself.

Right now the FontShop free fonts page is offering Baskervlle Old Face regular and Brody freestyle script, both from Elsner & Flake; Milo regular, a nice-looking sans with a large x-height by Michael Abbink; and FF Dingbats, a selection of mixed pi fonts — including stylized people, pointing fingers, office supplies, arrors, etc. — by Johannes Erler and Olaf Stein.

I found all these because I was hunting for a certain type of script — like those used in advertising in Germany during the 1920s or so. While I never found that (may have to draw it if I can find a good specimen), I did find Brody, which I will use for now.

You can sign up to receive e-mail when there is a new free font from FontShop.
Have you tried the Dover typeface collections? They have collections of fonts from various early advertising sources; i use the nineteenth century ones in my pr.
ProperLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 02:05 PM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProperLady View Post
Have you tried the Dover typeface collections?
Not as fonts, but as source. Long before Dover began to digitize the fonts in their books, others did so. So you can find many of those faces in fonts of all qualities if you poke round on the internet.

But now that I think of it, I haven’t actually seen any of those done by Dover itself.

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Before & After web freebies ktinkel Print Design 0 04-01-2005 02:27 PM
Serif's freebies Richard Hunt Print Design 10 02-20-2005 11:12 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Contents copyright 2004–2014 Desktop Publishing Forum and its members.