DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 09-12-2006, 09:47 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Logo design tips

Before&After is giving away “Design a Logo of Letters,” a lovely PDF/article (18 pages) on methods of converting your initials (or other pairs or triplets of letters) into a logo.

Besides being practical — it tells you exactly how to achieve each effect — the article is visually stimulating, and the PDF format is fabulous, as it provides pages for screen reading followed by two-up pages ready for a notebook, all in one PDF.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:03 AM   #2
terrie
Staff

That's a nice one...some cool ideas in there...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:27 AM   #3
Mike
Staff

Looks like an interesting article.

I wondered if it might be worth ssubscribing to B&A but, apart from the logo design article, they don't seem to offer any samples for judging what $24 might buy me.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 06:23 AM   #4
donmcc

I have about the first 4 years of B&A ... 24 issues. It had some great projects in it, although some of them are dated (how to achieve effects that now are in filters).

Unless the quality has dropped dramatically, I can recommend the publication. (They are/were thin little things of about 24 pages, but with no advertising, so that is about the equivalent in content of a 96 page magazine.)
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:20 AM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Looks like an interesting article.

I wondered if it might be worth subscribing to B&A but, apart from the logo design article, they don't seem to offer any samples for judging what $24 might buy me.
They regularly offer free articles, and some may be archived at the site.

John McWade, who publishes Before&After (and also used to write and illustrate every article in it, which wore hiim out and led to later and later issues) is one of those diabolical guys who not only has great visual/design sense but knows how to explain clearly). Now he has freelance writers and manages to stick to a regular publishing schedule, along with the web site.

I love B&A. It works for beginners and for tired old designers as well; I get at least one Aha! moment out of most issues.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:15 AM   #6
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
They regularly offer free articles, and some may be archived at the site.
You can buy the PDFs individually it seems, but I wonder if he's considered putting all back issues that exist as PDFs (or could be resurrected and printed to PDF as is, no reformatting to his "paper saver" version) on a single CD. I'd buy that.

My husband gets an excellent construction industry magazine that has for a number of years now sold an annual CD containing back issues -- not only of the year just ended, but all back issues. They're all PDFs and searchable. Fabulous reference tool. What makes me think this would work for B&A is that this magazine is, for the light construction industry, rather like what B&A is to ours.

Old 09-14-2006, 12:21 AM   #7
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
John McWade, who publishes Before&After (and also used to write and illustrate every article in it, which wore hiim out and led to later and later issues) is one of those diabolical guys who not only has great visual/design sense but knows how to explain clearly).
I did subscribe for a year or two back in those days. It was very good -- when the issues finally arrived.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:51 AM   #8
Michael Rowley

Mike:

My one-year subscription has just expired; I thought it well worthwhile (and worth the £14 or so). It provides free access to its very extensive archive and sound directions for producing a variety of illustrated matter. The drawback from my point of view is that I have very limited interest in manipulating pictures.