DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Old 07-20-2006, 02:28 AM   #1
Richard Waller

Default UK Car Tax website

I hate to say this about a government website, particularly when they are extracting money from me, but www.direct.gov.uk/taxdisc really works quite well.

Instead of posting a mountain of papers off to Swansea or wherever, or queuing for hours at one of the few post offices that do taxdiscs, just fill in a short form on line. The system will check the database that you have the MOT test on the car, and check from another database that you have valid insurance, and the tax disc for the car windscreen duly arrives 5 days later.

There really are some useful websites out there.

Mind you, I read today that the Audit Office says there is only a one in twenty chance of you being caught for having no tax disc.

Last edited by Richard Waller; 07-20-2006 at 02:44 AM.
Richard Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 02:39 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

I felt the same way when I was able to renew my Virginia driver's license online...so much easier than having to go down to the DMV (dept of motor vehicles)...

In Virginia, each county has a tax for the county sticker...it was used to make sure you'd paid your property tax (no property tax, no sticker) but now that everything is done electronically, the sticker is no longer required...this is nice both because the stickers were a pita to get off the window every year but also, we now don't have to pay the $25 fee for the sticker...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:14 AM   #3
LoisWakeman
Staff

Dick - I suspect that report is out of date.

Now, unless you have declared SORN or have a valid licence, they can send an £80 fine automatically. That happened to my son after he wrote his car off and the insurers forgot to cancel the paperwork. His car was in secure storgage till disposal, so no cop could have spotted the tax disc or absence therof!
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:57 AM   #4
Barrie Greed

Lois

Quote:
Dick - I suspect that report is out of date.

Now, unless you have declared SORN or have a valid licence, they can send an £80 fine automatically. That happened to my son after he wrote his car off and the insurers forgot to cancel the paperwork. His car was in secure storgage till disposal, so no cop could have spotted the tax disc or absence therof!
Unfortunately like most things in the UK today if you are a law abiding citizen and simply forget to renew your tax you will get an automatic fine.

If you get yourself a cheap car, put it on the road with no tax, insurance or MOT then the chances of being caught are extremely slim.

Barrie Greed
Magdalen Laver, Essex
Barrie Greed is offline   Reply With Quote